[CLOSED]MGA 6 - complete system freezes-on new instal

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[CLOSED]MGA 6 - complete system freezes-on new instal

Postby Myles » Oct 2nd, '17, 08:41

I typed this up yesterday but didn't post because my system was behaving, as it has done today.....till about 10 minutes ago - same thing - complete system freeze and have to do a reset and re-boot of my computer. So now I'm posting this in hopes that someone can help me get to the bottom of this problem.

I'm hoping someone can help me sort this issue out as it's annoying the heck out of me! I searched and found another similar problem
https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11968 and discussed my problem with mark9117. I don't know if it's KDE that is the culprit or not.

Anyway, This is what i had when this all began. I had installed Mageia #6 but retained my old /home and /var partitions. Soon after that the system freezes started happening. So this is what happens - I could be doing something on my system and all of a sudden the system is completely frozen! I can't get to an alternate screen to do anything, I have have to press the reset button on my computer and re-boot. This sometimes happens multiple times a day. I had one day last week where i occurred 3 times within an hour! Well mark9117 said he had re-installed with a new /home and that seems to have fixed his problem. My system freezes would also occur if I locked the screen and left my computer for several hours only to return to a frozen system; so hard reset and re-boot (this occurred on multiple occasions)
So soon after entering an update on the 27th to his problem about mine, I suffered yet another system freeze. So I decided to try with a new /home drive but still retain my original /var as there is Plex stuff on there I want to use and not have to re-build.
Please remember, this only happens in Mageia #6. I have never had this happen to my systems previously.

This is what I wrote in the update on 27th in mark9117 (SOLVED) problem:

Update. What follows illustrates just how bad this release of Mageia #6 is - for me anyway!
Well, after my last post, I had yet another lockup/freeze! So I decided to try your approach and start with a completely new /home drive. So I finally got the system fully installed with any updates that had been released since the DVD was released. Booted system and it worked. By this time it was after 9:30 pm (28th) so I wasn't going to start mucking around re-installing everything. So due to the late hour, I just locked the screen and left it.
Yesterday morning I came Into my study to start the arduous task of re-installing my programs, only to find I couldn't wake the system up - it was completely frozen yet again!!!!!!
This was a stock-standard install - with nothing else installed and a brand new /home drive - and it still froze!!!!!! I mean what is going on???

Anyway, I re-booted and persevered with re-installing all of my stuff - only to have it freeze again soon after starting that exercise! I have had 2 more since - one when I was using it early last night, so after re-booting I thought I'd wouldn't take the chance of a freeze and selected "Hibernate" instead. Well, system powered back on and re-booted, but instead of being presented with the "lock screen" as expected - I had a completely black screen - and the system was useless - again! So re-boot, again!
This is ridiculous, I never once had this problem with any previous versions, so I am going to open a new thread in the hope that someone can help me with how to look at the logs (which logs) and what I might be looking for as I have no idea.

So this brings me up to here. I would have posted this yesterday but I was busy re-installing my programs etc.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me which logs to look at (as I'm unfamiliar with looking at the logs) and what I might be looking for in those logs to explain this behaviour - especially on a brand new install without anything else installed!
Last edited by Myles on Sep 16th, '18, 09:06, edited 4 times in total.
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Re: MGA 6 - complete system freezes - even on new install.

Postby wintpe » Oct 2nd, '17, 12:40

OK, as always you need to cut problems in half to diagnose them.

you suspect KDE, so install LXDE or LXQT and run with that for a day.

if no freezes then you are probably on track with something to do with kde and your hardware, as im not experiencing this with KDE at all on two differing systems, so whatever you feel there is no generic problem with mga6 and kde. its rock solid for me.

I would also at the same time enable sshd and allow it through the firewall.

that way the next time it freeze you can try to ssh in from another system if you have one.

if when ssh'ing in the system is still working you can examine what processes are running, see if killing kde/plasma processes helps get the system back etc without resetting.

if ssh does not respond after the system freezes then its not kde, at fault its something with the kernel and your hardware.

which i suspect anyway.

please also post your hardware so if there's anyone else running the same hardware, they may be able to comment on whether they are experiencing lock ups or not.

if not then that further helps us to eliminate chipsets and focus on more manufacturer specifics like firmware etc.

at the end of the day it is going to be something hardware or location specific, so dont think mga6 is at fault, otherwise you will keep looking in the wrong direction.

also look at this link, if its only when the system hibernates, but still carry out above even so.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/linux-4-9-9 ... orks/17499

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby Myles » Oct 5th, '17, 08:45

Peter,
Hello once again - you helped me get OpenVPN working properly a little while ago. Still going like a charm, thanks!

With this problem, I don't think I said that I thought it was a KDE problem - mark9117 said he suspected that KDE was the cause of his system freezes - I have no idea what is causing my freezes, if it's KDE or something else.

I can start with using ssh, even though I have never used it/done it before, but I have used VNC on Windows a bit (many moons ago when I worked in IT) and I know it is basically the same principle.

What is/are the ports needed to be opened in the FW to allow ssh in/out? I know port 443 is for https.
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby wintpe » Oct 5th, '17, 10:38

ssh uses port 22/tcp by default

you can use a tool called putty from windows to ssh into a mageia box

its not like vnc or rdp, its a command line login

it will present you with

login:

where you enter your user id followed by password.

if you can get it it indicates it is a window system/graphics hardware issue.

you can then review logs, look at the state the processes are in, use top initially,

look at /var/log/messages.

if you cant its much more fatal, and could be down to

1: overclocked cpu
2: memory error
3:motherboard chipset error

while i think it is a hardware fault, the fault does not necessarily mean hardware at fault, and therefore could be a kernel issue with any one of the componants.

regards peter
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby jiml8 » Oct 6th, '17, 04:43

I agree with Peter. The symptoms are very suggestive of a hardware fault. It is also possible that you have some uncommon and not well supported video card that is the source of the problem.
jiml8

Postby Myles » Oct 8th, '17, 02:56

Peeter/Jiml8,
Sorry for taking so long to reply and thanks for the advice.
I would be surprised if this is a hardware problem unless it just happend to coijcide with me installing MGA6, as I said, it never happened on my #5.1 system.
Here are my system specs:
PC Specs - 07 Oct 2017.JPG
PC Specs - 07 Oct 2017.JPG (47.21 KiB) Viewed 4978 times

The only things new are: the Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GT710 2Gb video card (relatively new - 24th July this year - as the other nVidia GeForce GT610 1Gb died) and a new internal Seagate 2Tb HDD and 4Tb external Seagate HDD (not shown as it wasn't powered on at the time - but doesn't matter as freezes have occurred when it isn't powered on anyway). Maybe it is something like you suggest Peter
while i think it is a hardware fault, the fault does not necessarily mean hardware at fault, and therefore could be a kernel issue with any one of the components.

I found an article on using PuTTY on Windows to access a Linux system but can't seem to get it to connect to my Mageia system - even if I set "Everything" in the firewall. Do I have to start OpenSSH somehow first (no idea how to do this and the Mageia doco is incorrect in how to set OpenSSH up as it is out of date and shows things in MCC that don't exist???
I thought it was a problem getting out of the Windows system so just set a Windows FW rule, but no go - I get "Network error: Connection Refused". Somewhere in looking at problems I came across a cmd "dmesg". I used that and I can see Shorewall dropping all sorts of connections to my MGA6 PC - including the ones from my Windows Notebook:
Code: Select all
[ 3589.015455] Shorewall:net-fw:DROP:IN=enp5s0 OUT= MAC=90:2b:34:67:0b:11:dc:53:60:5d:51:b0:08:00 SRC=192.168.0.19 DST=192.168.0.10 LEN=423 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=128 ID=7867 PROTO=UDP SPT=1900 DPT=9955 LEN=403
At least I think that is what it is showing, not being a Network guru, or even playing one on TV.

I have SSH Server enabled in the FW (which came up ticked when I defined 22/tcp in the ports definitions).
So where to from here? Do I have to write a FW rule or something?
Last edited by doktor5000 on Oct 8th, '17, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed attachment embedding
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 8th, '17, 10:14

Myles wrote:I found an article on using PuTTY on Windows to access a Linux system but can't seem to get it to connect to my Mageia system - even if I set "Everything" in the firewall. Do I have to start OpenSSH somehow first (no idea how to do this and the Mageia doco is incorrect in how to set OpenSSH up as it is out of date and shows things in MCC that don't exist???

Yes, you would need to install openssh-server and then start the service, as root via
urpmi openssh-server
systemctl start sshd.service
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Myles » Oct 8th, '17, 11:04

Thanks doktor once again.
I did a search on the net for how to do it and came across a reply of yours with how to do it from a while ago. But it must have been for a previous version or something because it didn't work.
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 8th, '17, 13:17

Do you have a link for that so I can check it?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Myles » Oct 9th, '17, 02:18

Okay, got PuTTY working and can login successfully to MGA6 from my Windows Notebook.

Also, I'll just note here that the freezes have been far less frequent since re-installing MGA6 with a new /home drive - but they have still occurred.
doktor, I'll see if I can hunt the page down again for you.
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby Myles » Oct 9th, '17, 03:50

Okay, soon after posting that update above - the system froze! So I was able to put the new PuTTY access to use straight away!

First, yes, I was able to login - so the system hadn't died! That's good.

Second, it looks like its something to do with the nouveau driver. When I logged in via PuTTY, I did "dmesg" and below is part of the output:

I hope you can see the msgs okay, I should have got a better angle.

System Freeze - Nouveau Error - 20171009_113938.jpg
System Freeze - Nouveau Error - 20171009_113938.jpg (600.9 KiB) Viewed 4941 times

But when I was logged in I didn't know what to do about this, so I just had to do the trusty old hard reset and re-boot.

Any ideas on what those nouveau msgs mean??? Red can't be good can it?
Last edited by doktor5000 on Oct 9th, '17, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed attachment embedding
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby Myles » Oct 9th, '17, 04:17

doktor, re: starting sshd. This is the link: https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2759, but of course now that I re-tried the cmd, of course it works! I tried lots of variations, sudo, su root but obviously got myself so confused I was putting in the wrong cmds in the end so of course it didn't work!

What you wrote was
urpmi sshd && service sshd start
(but I only wanted the - how to start it bit)

Now when I just tried
 sudo service sshd start
, I get:
myles@Bilbo ~]$ sudo service sshd start
[sudo] password for myles:
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl start sshd.service
[myles@Bilbo ~]$

which is of course, is what you told me.

While I have your ear. When I was searching I also found this: https://doc.mageia.org/mcc/6/en/content/drakwizard_sshd.html but I can't find anywhere that this stuff exists in MCC in MGA6, and drakwizard doesn't exist either.
So, is this still valid or should it be removed from the doco?
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 9th, '17, 07:45

Myles wrote:While I have your ear. When I was searching I also found this: https://doc.mageia.org/mcc/6/en/content/drakwizard_sshd.html but I can't find anywhere that this stuff exists in MCC in MGA6, and drakwizard doesn't exist either.
So, is this still valid or should it be removed from the doco?

Well, drakwizard itself still exists, and I believe it's not installed by default so you may have to install it to get that functionality added to MCC. And it's still in MCC once you have drakwizard installed, just checked that.

[doktor5000@Mageia6]─[07:41:22]─[~] urpmf -m -f --name drakwizard
Core Release:drakwizard-trac-1.0.12-1.mga6.noarch
Core Release:drakwizard-base-4.5-1.mga6.noarch
Core Release:drakwizard-4.5-1.mga6.noarch
Core 32bit Release:drakwizard-trac-1.0.12-1.mga6.noarch
Core 32bit Release:drakwizard-4.5-1.mga6.noarch
Core 32bit Release:drakwizard-base-4.5-1.mga6.noarch
----
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 9th, '17, 07:53

Myles wrote:Any ideas on what those nouveau msgs mean??? Red can't be good can it?

It means that nouveau encountered some issues, hence why your graphical session is not working anymore. My proposal would be to switch to the proprietary nvidia driver instead.
If you want to check further, next time you login via ssh please don't do a screenshot but as root run
journalctl -ab|grep -i nouveau
and post the text output here, makes it easier for others to read and put into search engines and stuff ;)

Related, there are quite a few nouveau bugreports, some also in combination with plasma5 sessions. Check:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=92077
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93828
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93629
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99900
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1661486
----
doktor5000

Postby Myles » Oct 9th, '17, 09:50

doktor, thanks for the info about drakwizard. It was only a side issue out of interest, but good to know it's still valid and the doco isn't incorrect.

Also re: nouveau driver. I originally selected to use nVidia driver but after about the 2nd or 3rd boot (maybe more, but not by many) of the newly installed MGA6, if failed to be built and defaulted to nouveau, so I couldn't be bothered to go back to the nVidia driver. Now I will - straight after I post this.
Also about the photo of the errors; I tried desperately to copy the text of the msgs out of the PuTTY session and save to a file to post here but couldn't manage it, so I resorted to the - not very good way to do it - of taking a photo. Better than nothing, but as you say, not very helpful for searching etc. Next time I'll use the cmd you specified. Still not very good at CLI, but I'm gradually learning bit by bit.

Thanks for the references re: nouveau problems;, lots of reading to do then!
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby Myles » Oct 9th, '17, 10:51

Well, now I remember why I'm not using the nVidia driver.......I can't - it won't work on my system for some reason!

When I choose the nVidia driver in MCC and do a test, this is what happens:
see second picture in attachment

Then when I try to reboot, I get this little gem of a circular failure:
see first picture in attachment

So the only thing I can do is to do a hard reset and reboot my system. Very frustrating.

That is why I'm using the nouveau driver,

It would be really nice to know why that is happening so I can use the nVidia driver instead. At the moment it seems I have both drivers that cause problems. :(
Attachments
KSMserver-logout-greeter fails on trying to reboot system after configuring nVidia driver in MCC - AGAIN - 09 Oct 2017 - SMALLER.png
KSMserver-logout-greeter fails on trying to reboot system after configuring nVidia driver in MCC - AGAIN - 09 Oct 2017 - SMALLER.png (48.95 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
nVidia driver - cannot configure in MCC - Test failure - 09 Oct 2017.png
nVidia driver - cannot configure in MCC - Test failure - 09 Oct 2017.png (11.37 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
Last edited by isadora on Oct 9th, '17, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed image-links
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby wintpe » Oct 9th, '17, 12:03

so you dont need to reset, just

su -
reboot

in the putty shell.

as for nouveu, its plagues my system, and wont let me select nvidia unless i uninstall it.

so i tend to choose vesa, reboot,

remove nouvou

reboot

then select proprietary driver.

the 710 is a great card ive selected it and the 720 for a few of my systems, and i dont have freezes.

dont eliminate the possibility that your new card is faulty, or going faulty when hot. its always a possibility.

for my main system i use the 560. again no issues with freezes.

regards peter
wintpe

Postby Myles » Oct 9th, '17, 13:40

Peter,
Thanks for that info, very handy.

I'll try your method to get rid of nouveau and then use nVidia and report back.

by the way, I had locked my system up and left for a while and when I came back to it I couldn't unlock it. Logged in via PuTTY and did "dmesg" but couldn't see anything untoward in the messages, mostly Shorewall stuff but no nouveau msg in red. So another mystery!
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby Myles » Oct 10th, '17, 08:37

Peter, you sure are right about nouveau plaguing your - and my - system! Itś like a virus - I can't seem to boot my system without it booting! I tried your method, selected vesa; rebooted and - nouveau booted with this dialog box and a loop that I can't get out of - "Display driver setup"(that's the title of the box) - contents of the box - "The system has to be rebooted due to a due to a display driver change. Press Cancel within 30 seconds to abort" then a choice either to Enter or Cancel. On reboot, same thing!
So I booted into rescue mode, uninstalled nouveau and rebooted into normal Mageia from the GRUB2 menu - nouveau loads!!!!!!! How is that possible????
I reboot into recovery mode and select the nVidia driver, but of course can't get out of the system because of my friend the "ksmserver-logout-greeter" loop, oh the fun I'm having.
Then in one of the times I was logged in I had a system freeze just to add to the fun!

And when I logged back in normally, with nouveau (even though I had uninstalled it), I checked in MCC and was going to re-install it - but it was already ticked as being installed) :?:

So doktor, I used your cmd and captured the msgs from dmesg because it was nouveau again! I'm not sure of the protocol with this. The file is 126Kb. Do I upload & attach it somehow, or just cut and paste a selection of the msgs into a code or list portion?
Since I wrote that bit above I suffered another freeze (2 within an hour). The second time I had fewer msgs about nouveau so I'll post them here:
myles@Bilbo ~]$ su root
Password:
[root@Bilbo myles]# journalctl -ab|grep nouveau
Oct 10 12:42:08 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: NVIDIA GK208B (b060b0b1)
Oct 10 12:42:08 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: bios: version 80.28.a6.00.58
Oct 10 12:42:08 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: fb: 2048 MiB DDR3
Oct 10 12:42:08 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: priv: HUB0: 085014 ffffffff (1970820b)
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: VRAM: 2048 MiB
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: GART: 1048576 MiB
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: TMDS table version 2.0
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: DCB version 4.0
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: DCB outp 00: 01000f02 00020030
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: DCB outp 01: 02011f62 00020010
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: DCB outp 02: 02022f10 00000000
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: DCB conn 00: 00001031
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: DCB conn 01: 00002161
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: DCB conn 02: 00000200
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: MM: using COPY for buffer copies
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: allocated 1920x1080 fb: 0x60000, bo ffff98f912c01000
Oct 10 12:42:09 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: fbcon: nouveaufb (fb0) is primary device
Oct 10 12:42:10 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: fb0: nouveaufb frame buffer device
Oct 10 12:42:10 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: [drm] Initialized nouveau 1.3.1 20120801 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
Oct 10 13:15:37 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: gr: TRAP ch 29 [007ee01000 plasmashell[3889]]
Oct 10 13:15:37 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: gr: GPC0/PROP trap: 00000020 [RT_HEIGHT_OVERRUN] x = 0, y = 32, format = 11, storage type = 0
Oct 10 13:15:37 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: fifo: write fault at 000142f000 engine 00 [GR] client 0f [GPC0/PROP_0] reason 02 [PTE] on channel 29 [007ee01000 plasmashell[3889]]
Oct 10 13:15:37 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: fifo: gr engine fault on channel 29, recovering...
Oct 10 13:15:37 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: gr: TRAP ch 29 [007ee01000 plasmashell[3889]]
Oct 10 13:15:37 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: gr: GPC0/PROP trap: 00000020 [RT_HEIGHT_OVERRUN] x = 512, y = 64, format = 11, storage type = 0
Oct 10 13:15:37 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: gr: GPC0/PROP trap: 00000020 [RT_HEIGHT_OVERRUN] x = 512, y = 64, format = 11, storage type = 0
Oct 10 13:15:37 Bilbo.Hobbiton kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: priv: HUB0: 400500 00010001 (1c708201)
[root@Bilbo myles]#

Not sure if that will help.

But I am getting really frustrated with nouveau - it's like a virus; it doesn't matter what driver I select - vesa, nVidia - I can't use it as nouveau takes over, or if I select nVidia I can't logout/reboot/shutdown my system except by doing a hard reset. And then of course nouveau takes over as the driver not nVidia! The only time I could get vesa to work is when I had selected it (but nouveau booted instead), but then when I went in to recovery mode, vesa loaded. ?
Gaaahhh! It's a nightmare.

Does anyone have any idea how I can rid myself of nouveau (for the time being) and use nVidia without the "ksmserver-logout-greeter" loop? Is that another separate problem I have to surmount?
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby wintpe » Oct 10th, '17, 11:07

i think blacklisting the nouveau driver is the best solution.

taken from an ubuntu thread as i could not find a directly appliable mageia thread

nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

…and add these lines at the end:

blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off

then nouveau should be blocked from loading.

now deal with the nvidia driver.

and finally, try not to think of linux as a graphical operating system like windows. everything in linux graphical mode, is just a call to a cli at the end of the day.

there is a cli for everything.

the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is the file that contains the driver setup.

if that has nouveau in it, it will keep trying to run it.

it needs to say nvidia

regards peter
wintpe

Postby Myles » Oct 11th, '17, 03:33

Peter,
Thanks for that. Not quite the same as uninstalling it.

You said:
nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

…and add these lines at the end:

But there is no "blacklist-nouveau.conf". See below. So does that mean I have to create a "blacklist-nouveau.conf" and just put those lines in it? It may seem like a dumb question, but I don't want to screw up my system even worse than it is.

[root@Bilbo modprobe.d]# ls -l
total 20
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4358 May 23 15:50 00_modprobe.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 May 23 15:50 01_mga-config.conf -> ../modprobe.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  849 May 23 15:50 blacklist-compat.conf                                       
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  704 May 23 15:50 blacklist-mga.conf                                           
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   84 May 23 15:50 ipw-no-associate.conf                                       
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   45 Feb  8  2016 snd-oss.conf -> ../../etc/sound/profiles/current/snd-oss.conf
[root@Bilbo modprobe.d]#                     

And this is the contents of my current xorg.conf file:

# File generated by XFdrake (rev 262502)

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DontZap" "False" # disable <Ctrl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
    AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
    #DontZoom # disable <Ctrl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    VendorName "Plug'n Play"
    ModelName "BenQ M2200HD"
    HorizSync 30-94
    VertRefresh 50-76

# Monitor preferred modeline (60.0 Hz vsync, 67.2 kHz hsync, ratio 16/9, 103 dpi)
    ModeLine "1920x1080" 173 1920 2048 2248 2576 1080 1083 1088 1120 +hsync +vsync

# Apple iMac modes
    ModeLine "1024x768"   78.525 1024 1049 1145 1312   768  769  772  800 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine "800x600"    62.357  800  821  901 1040   600  601  604  632 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine "640x480"    49.886  640  661  725  832   480  481  484  514 +hsync +vsync

# Apple monitors tend to do 832x624
    ModeLine "832x624"    57      832  876  940 1152   624  625  628  667 -hsync -vsync

# Apple PowerBook G3
    ModeLine "800x600"    100     800  816  824  840   600  616  624  640 -hsync -vsync

# Apple TI Powerbook
    ModeLine "1152x768"   78.741 1152 1173 1269 1440   768  769  772  800 +vsync +vsync

# Pismo Firewire G3
    ModeLine "1024x768"   65     1024 1032 1176 1344   768  771  777  806 -hsync -vsync

# iBook2
    ModeLine "1024x768"   65     1024 1048 1184 1344   768  771  777  806 -hsync -vsync

# 17" Apple Studio Display
    ModeLine "1024x768"   112.62 1024 1076 1248 1420 768 768 780 808 +hsync +vsync

# HiRes Apple Studio Display
    ModeLine "1280x1024"  135    1280 1288 1392 1664  1024 1027 1030 1064

# Another variation
    ModeLine "1280x1024"  134.989 1280 1317 1429 1688  1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
    # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576"     50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576"     63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 420 series and later"
    Driver "nouveau"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Monitor "monitor1"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout1"
    Screen "screen1"
EndSection

So, What should my steps be?

Creating (?) a blacklist for nouveau

I just change this entry
 Driver "nouveau"
in xorg.conf to be
 Driver "nVidia"
???

Select/make sure nVidia driver is selected in MCC instead of nouveau?

Then I'll be right to go?? I'm sorry for being a pain, but I don't do a lot of mucking around in Linux and I just want to mak sure I'm doing the right thing so I'm not left with an un-bootable system.

And then I should be good to go????
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby wintpe » Oct 11th, '17, 15:36

yes modprobe.d concates all those files together in reality and treats them as one,

or should i say

for i in `ls -A1`
do
$i
done

or something like that.

and they dont exist to start with, in much earlier version of linux, ie redhat 5.8 and before we did not have modprobe.d, with a file for each module config, we had one file modprobe.conf, but as part of linux's evolution, people found it easier to drop whole files in, and perhaps remove them to backout a change, then add lines to one file, and this approach extends to logrotate, suders, vpn.d to name just a few.

anyway, I digress.

the xorg.conf, yes thats why it keeps pulling in nouveau.

the blacklist will stop nouveau from being able to load, so if you dont have the nvidia driver installed, you could end up with a black screen.

if the nvidia driver is installed, (rpm -qa| grep -i nvidia)

then change the xorg.conf to nvidia if i remember its all lowercase on mine.

remember you always have putty to get in and revert back if things dont work as we expect.
or even rescue mode.

its only the graphics modes your messing with.

whenever doing things like this make copies, its always easier to revert a copy then try more edits.

and for the future perhaps get another mageia running under virtualbox that you can test/try/break/burn.

regards peter
wintpe

Postby jiml8 » Oct 11th, '17, 19:33

Is nouveau going to get loaded in the initrd? If so, after blacklisting it a run of dracut is indicated to rebuild the initrd. I don't know what options OP would require, so I hesitate to offer a specific command line.
jiml8

Postby alf » Oct 11th, '17, 20:14

jiml8 wrote:Is nouveau going to get loaded in the initrd?

You can build a new initrd by omitting nouveau
dracut -f --omit-drivers nouveau  --xz

That's what i'm doing to get rid of nouveau.
for windows problems reboot; for linux problems be root
alf

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 12th, '17, 09:14

You can also just blacklist it from initrd load via boot option once, although that has never been necessary here. Not sure what I'm doing differently, but never had those issues with nouveau described here, only on RedHat/CentOS.
----
doktor5000

Next

Return to Basic support