solved: speakers quit

solved: speakers quit

Postby oj » Aug 15th, '17, 22:10

Like an idiot I plugged an analog speaker system into the port that is actually for a headset, mic and speakers. After this, the built in speakers have quit working. I tried configuring sound from the system tray and mcc and cannot get the speakers back. The system says it's using hdmi sound now, but the GUIs (eg in mcc) all show built in speakers as the output.

When I hit mute I get a pop in the speakers, and when I unmute another pop. But no sound comes through the speakers or through a bluetooth speaker I've tried.

I'm afraid I burned out the speaker system physically. Any help appreciated.

Code: Select all
[root@me~]# head -1 /proc/asound/card*/codec*
==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 <==
Codec: Realtek ALC3266

==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#2 <==
Codec: Intel Skylake HDMI

...well that was quick. I did modprobe snd_hda_intel and the sound is back. Don't know why the module got dropped, maybe something to do with "hot plugging" through the headset port?
oj

Re: solved: speakers quit

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 15th, '17, 23:24

oj wrote:...well that was quick. I did modprobe snd_hda_intel and the sound is back. Don't know why the module got dropped, maybe something to do with "hot plugging" through the headset port?

The module gets loaded for the chipset, it does not depend on whether there are input or output devices attached. The builtin speakers probably stopped because that's how it's intended to work via jack sensing.
E.g. If you plugin headphones then the internal speaker is muted and output moved to the headphones.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: solved: speakers quit

Postby oj » Aug 16th, '17, 00:57

Except 5 reboots with nothing plugged in did not fix it. It only worked after I manually loaded the module. Perhaps the previous settings persisted, ie after the plug changed the module that setting persisted reboots regardless of changes on the state of the jack?
oj

Return to Sound