Nice little hex<->decimal app I wrote

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

Nice little hex<->decimal app I wrote

Postby DiBosco » Feb 7th, '17, 16:15

Not sure whether this is the right place to put this, so please move if needs be, admins. :)

I wrote, three or so years ago, a really useful little app if you are wanting to convert hex to decimal and vice versa a lot. I got bored of kcalc and having to press buttons to go between base 16 and base 10 when I was doing it all the time. So, I knocked this up. When you alter one value it automatically changes the other. So, if you type in the decimal line edit it brings up the hex value automatically. Similarly, if you type in the hex line edit, the decimal value changes automatically.

It's written in Qt and I assume the executable will run on anyone's desktop that is using Mageia 5 KDE (but I could be way wrong there). I have also included the source code that you can very easily compile and run from Qt creator. Just open the dex.pro file and hit the big green arrow.

If anyone wants to put it in the repositories, that would be absolutely fine. In fact I'd be delighted!

I'm no C++ programmer, so it may be that a proper C++ dev will look at it an go "yuk". However, it works and it's super simple. So, I don't care! ;)

Enjoy!
Attachments
dex_source.tar.gz
(3.79 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
dex_app_kde_mageia5.tar.gz
(261.23 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Last edited by DiBosco on Feb 7th, '17, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
DiBosco

Re: Nice little hex<->decimal app I wrote

Postby DiBosco » Feb 7th, '17, 17:55

I've update the source files with some comments. I had been very naughtily remiss.
Attachments
dex._updated_with_comments.tar.gz
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
DiBosco

Postby isadora » Feb 7th, '17, 19:15

Cute. :)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby banjo » Feb 12th, '17, 00:32

Pretty cool. Nice little mini-app.

I miss the old days when you didn't have to install programs. You just ran them.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby isadora » Feb 12th, '17, 08:46

Like running Mandriva from RAM. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby ozky » Feb 16th, '17, 15:01

DiBosco wrote:I'm no C++ programmer, so it may be that a proper C++ dev will look at it an go "yuk". However, it works and it's super simple. So, I don't care! ;)

You could ask from Thomas Backlund our sysadmin and kernel dev to take a look your code as he is professional coder who have given he life to coding..... :)
He can code with c and c++ so he would help you very much.
Mageia user
ozky

Return to Other