Re: Why does "nokmsboot" option disappear during MGA6 boot?

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Postby canadaist » Jan 27th, '17, 16:43

edit doktor5000: This discussion about bugreports in forums and/or link to bugzilla in forums has been split out of viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11584

gohlip wrote:
Mageia developers don't take action on this forums (they should - or at least read forum) and people here will ask you to write bug reports.

So that is a bug report. Perhaps the "Post a new topic" page presented to new posts, should have a button: "This Is A Bug Report" - It could drop down a dialogue box with items to fill out: CPU, OS, Video Card etc. At the end it would ask if writer wants to just post a bug report or post in forum as well.

Is this a bug report asking for features? Should I post it in the forum somewhere else as well, or instead?
canadaist

Postby gohlip » Jan 27th, '17, 20:04

canadaist wrote:.
Should I post it in the forum somewhere else as well, or instead?

All I'm saying is that Mageia developers and maintainers should interact more often in this forum.
Users in this forum may not know if it is appropriate (or not) to file a bug report; and even if they should, a developer/maintainer reading this can/should come in with their point of view.

More troubling (and I really hope I am wrong in this aspect), is the feeling I get that developers do read the problem, it (the problem) exists, but do nothing because a bug report is not filed.
Maybe the problem is not what the forum user thinks it is, but by keeping quiet, it leaves the user with the thinking that nothing will be done unless a bug report is filed.
A simple explanation, in that case, by a developer will allay the user's concerns.
Even if the problem can and should be filed in a report, a developer reading the forum can mention that the problem has not been noticed before, request more information before suggesting the user file a report and he (the developer) will look further into it.

I wouldn't think that would take much effort and will greatly help Mageia as well.

ps: Leaving doktor5000 as 'the front guy' in this forum is not fair to him either.
We may express our appreciation for him, but it is still not fair.
Why do we live? To prove not everything in nature has a purpose.
gohlip

Postby jaywalker » Jan 27th, '17, 22:43

We may express our appreciation for him, but it is still not fair.

The good doktor is a man of great patience and diligence so I am sure he would not regard it as "unfair" but I am equally sure he deserves all of the appreciation we have for his vital contributions.

Speaking only for myself, and seldom being absolutely certain I have become victim to a bug, I always like to post here first to try to get a sense of whether anyone else experiences the same problem. I expect MOST other people will not because (rightly or wrongly) I always believe my particular collection of hardware, software and needs and uses is almost unique! Whether this is true or not, it is usually the case that nobody else has encountered exactly the same problem. If they had there would likely already be a bug report and I would have added my fourpence worth there instead/as well.

This one struck me as being particularly odd as I have never before encountered a case of some third party overwriting MY bootloader command AND getting it wrong. That is the important point, I think. It is only by making a mess of the menu.lst entry that the problem becomes apparent.

Richard
jaywalker

Postby canadaist » Jan 28th, '17, 00:04

I mean honestly that the path forward is systemic, not repetition and correction. Make bug reporting more automatic. I will make a request in the right place, but posting in the forum could, and if easy, should allow, and encourage, bug reporting in place.
canadaist

Bugs reports via forums / link to bugzilla in forums ?

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 28th, '17, 02:44

Why do you want to post bugs here in the forums when we have a suitable tool for that - where's the point?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby canadaist » Jan 28th, '17, 06:32

As a replacement for the need of a reminder or correction to discern beforehand whether one is asking for a discussion of a problem or misposting a feature request or reporting a bug. Sometimes it's hard to discern if one is asking advice, challenging protocol, or mis-posting a bug. I thought a system 'iso' response might be developed.
canadaist

Postby Ken-Bergen » Jan 28th, '17, 06:38

doktor5000 wrote:Why do you want to post bugs here in the forums when we have a suitable tool for that - where's the point?
The forum home page could have a more prominent link to bug reports.
Other than that I agree that the tools are there.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 28th, '17, 15:06

Ken-Bergen wrote:
doktor5000 wrote:Why do you want to post bugs here in the forums when we have a suitable tool for that - where's the point?
The forum home page could have a more prominent link to bug reports.

Well where should it be put, or how to make it more prominent? There's still the navbar atop of all Mageia websites, which features the link to bugzilla in the Support category. That is considered not prominent enough at https://www.mageia.org/support/ ?

What should it look like in the forums, some global announcement? Or do you mean somewhere at the board overview index index.php ?
If you can show me an example/draft/mockup or whatever I can take a look how we can add this.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Ken-Bergen » Jan 29th, '17, 01:23

I said could not should.
I'll think about whether it should be in the Nav bar or not.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Return to Discussions about forums