How to test out a Plasma Wayland session?

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

How to test out a Plasma Wayland session?

Postby ITA84 » Nov 14th, '15, 09:42

Since the Plasma 5.5 Alpha has landed on Cauldron, I wanted to try out Plasma on Wayland, but I don't know what's the correct way to do that. I've tried creating a .desktop file in /usr/share/wayland-sessions (since there's one for Weston there, although it doesn't work for me) launching /usr/bin/startplasmacompositor, but all it does is show a black screen, with nothing seemingly loading. Running that command from a terminal after exiting the X session gives a D-Bus error; running qdbus after that says it can't run without $DISPLAY.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there another way to run a Plasma Wayland session right now (like launching kwin_wayland directly, but wouldn't that not create the whole session?)?

Thanks in advance
ITA84

Re: How to test out a Plasma Wayland session?

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 14th, '15, 17:42

Reading https://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland# ... on_Wayland this may not work fully yet:
Support for running a full Plasma session on Wayland is still in it's early stages. Bugs are to be expected and there are known missing features. Please consider it only as a mode to experiment with.

I've asked our KDE maintainer about this, will let you know once he replies.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ITA84 » Nov 15th, '15, 20:05

Thank you, doktor5000. I just wanted to know whether somebody else's got it working. I don't even know if Weston sessions are supposed to be working right now :D

All I know is that SDDM is now supposed to support Wayland sessions, and I saw this video demonstrating a Weston session. If there's a way to make it work in Mageia I'd like to try it out, and Plasma as well.
ITA84

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 15th, '15, 20:20

Well, basically he mentioned that he never tested, and that there's kwin_wayland. But there might be some dependencies etc. missing. Although he accepts all tests and reviews :)

I tested briefly myself, seems the session starts, but no Xvfb or wayland display was visible. Check also
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2 ... n-wayland/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland

If you succeed or find any issues that need to be fixed, just reply here.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ITA84 » Nov 15th, '15, 22:33

I decided to give it a couple tries, and this is what I've accomplished (little):

• first I've tried out kwin_wayland in X11 (i.e --windowed), launching kwrite in it; it works, but there are several graphical glitches (could be because I'm using DRI3/dual graphics though) and, most importantly, even after closing it it leaves my keyboard a bit messed up (probably just the Alt key kept pressed)
  • I've also tried to do the same in a terminal (default kwin_wayland, which implies --drm); the kwrite window opens, but I lose all input, and by that I mean I get no response by either touchpad or keyboard, including Ctrl+Alt+F1 and Ctrl+Alt+Del. After rebooting I find nothing in the journal; I'll try redirecting kwin_wayland output next time
  • haven't retried launching a full session; I'll wait for that until somebody posts instructions for any distro
  • EDIT: tried again with --drm and output redirection; attached is the output (doesn't say much aside from giving a lot of D-Bus errors)
  • EDIT2: tried with --framebuffer, same irresponsiveness, except the screen stays on the terminal instead of turning black
  • EDIT2: correction: Weston works fine, there was just a mistake in my .ini; tried Konsole in Weston, but there seems to be no Wayland mode (tried --platform wayland, didn't try env vars)
  • EDIT3: ran export $(dbus-launch) before launching kwin_wayland with --drm and nothing changes, except for the output (see attached kwin_dbus-launch.log)

I'll update this post when I have experimented more, but don't expect much.

P.S: the blogpost from Martin you posted is definitely outdated, as it gives instructions to launch KWin under Weston, which was how it used to work, but not anymore
Attachments
kwin_dbus-launch.log
(1.93 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
kwin.log
(20.07 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
Last edited by ITA84 on Nov 19th, '15, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.
ITA84

Postby ITA84 » Nov 16th, '15, 18:28

Just one question: I've done all these tests after logging out of the regular Plasma session on X, but the SDDM login screen (and thus X) was still open. Is there a way to close that, to make sure it isn't interfering with the tests? I've tried systemctl stop sddm.service and just pkill X, but in both cases the screen stays.
ITA84

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 16th, '15, 18:42

My usual test is to do this from runlevel 3 aka multi-user.target. Simply append a 3 to the kernel option and you'll get a login without X, same as in the old days.
----
doktor5000

Postby ITA84 » Nov 16th, '15, 23:19

Thanks! I used systemctl isolate multi-user.target, but unfortunately it didn't seem to make a difference for kwin, same errors and all. I'll keep testing now and then
ITA84

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 16th, '15, 23:24

You can also use init 3 as that is less to type :)

Seems I can't really test weston in my VM as hardware acceleration seems insufficient :/
----
doktor5000

Postby ITA84 » Dec 4th, '15, 13:21

Just chiming in to say that I'm waiting to install the newer Plasma version before doing more testing. I've been waiting to update because I'm not 100% sure everything's been correctly packaged, and also because of the so far incomplete packaging of KDE Applications; I don't want to end up with a half-updated system
ITA84

Postby ITA84 » Dec 10th, '15, 21:40

Just installed Plasma 5.5 and tried Wayland again. This time using kwin_wayland from terminal gives this error

Code: Select all
no screens available, assuming 24-bit color
No backend specified through command line argument, trying auto resolution
FATAL ERROR: could not find a backend
KCrash: Application 'kwin_wayland' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
Warning: connect() failed: : File o directory non esistente
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/drkonqi directly
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa".

Available platform plugins are: wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa, directfbegl, directfb, eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, xcb.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

while launching a Plasma Wayland session from SDDM yields

startplasmacompositor: Starting up...
no screens available, assuming 24-bit color
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 2
QPainter::setRenderHint: Painter must be active to set rendering hints
QPainter::setPen: Painter not active
QPainter::setBrush: Painter not active
QPainter::setCompositionMode: Painter not active
QPainter::end: Painter not active, aborted
Opzione sconosciuta 'libinput'. [tr. Unknown option 'libinput']
startplasmacompositor: Shutting down...
xprop:  unable to open display ''
xprop:  unable to open display ''
startplasmacompositor: Done.

Not sure if the session entry is correct, though, as both the file and the startplasmacompositor script are dated yesterday for some reason, and I didn't touch my laptop yesterday :| . Anyway, its contents are

Exec=dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/startplasmacompositor
TryExec=/usr/bin/startplasmacompositor

In the script kwin_wayland is launched with --libinput, which doesn't seem to be a recognized option
ITA84

Postby ITA84 » Mar 10th, '16, 08:51

Updated to 5.6 Alpha and tried again, not much has changed: --libinput is still an unrecognized option (is kwin_wayland even compiled with Libinput support?), and removing that option manually still gives the no backend found error, although this time no crash messages are shown
ITA84

Postby shaforostoff » Apr 23rd, '16, 22:15

sudo mv /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plugins/platforms/KWinQpaPlugin.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/platforms/KWinQpaPlugin.so

solved this issue for me on debian. it is a stupid issue that manually built source install plugins to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu while qt expects them at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5
shaforostoff

Postby shaforostoff » Apr 23rd, '16, 22:17

move KWinQpaPlugin.so to qt5 folder
shaforostoff

Postby ITA84 » May 1st, '16, 11:49

In Mageia KWinQpaPlugin.so is under /usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/platforms (on x86-64), so I don't think it's the same issue (even if it were, I don't know where the file should be moved to ^^). Thanks for your post anyway. There seems to be little interest in Wayland Plasma right now
ITA84

Postby morgano » May 21st, '16, 11:21

What is the expected state of this on current Mageia 6?
I updated my mga5 online to mga6 and i got an entry "Plasma Wayland" in login manager (SDDM).
Selecting that it immediately returns. (I also have "Plasma" which works fine)
I see i have lots of *wayland* packages, amongst them kwin-wayland.
In a quick uneducated try i installed also package x11-server-xwayland but that did not help.
Now i have all *wayland* x86_64 packages except *-devel, plus the i586 versions libwayland-server0 and libwayland-client0.

UPDATE:
Tried from reboot, logging in only in console, then entering "startplasmacompositor" and it say it could not start D-Bus.

Installed Weston, and i got another login alternative: "Weston (Wayland)"
Choosing that, nothing happens except i get a working "X" mouse pointer on top of the otherwise dead login screen.
/UPDATE
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby ITA84 » May 22nd, '16, 14:03

For the startplasmacompositor d-bus error, try running

export $(dbus-launch)

before it. It'll probably give you another error, though.

Weston still works for me. Here's what I have in ~/.config/weston.ini
[core]
modules=xwayland.so

[keyboard]
keymap_layout=it

[output]
mode=1366x768

[libinput]
enable_tap=true

[shell]
background-image=<my background>
background-type=scale
cursor-size=16
locking=false

[launcher]
icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/firefox.png
path=/usr/bin/firefox

[launcher]
icon=/usr/share/weston/terminal.png
path=/usr/bin/weston-terminal

In case yours was a configuration problem, have a look at ~/.wayland-errors or at the Weston stdout (press Ctrl+C to close Weston)
ITA84

Postby morgano » May 24th, '16, 18:43

Thanks, i will hwever wait to try;
I need to get my graphics driver working correctly first...
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16980
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby ITA84 » Jul 15th, '16, 08:02

Update: after the upgrade to Plasma 5.7 and a helpful blog post by Martin Graesslin, I've tried my hand at Plasma Wayland again.

I found out that I was missing the qtwayland5 package: after installing it, I started nested kwin_wayland and launched kwrite. The result was I still had a completely black kwin_wayland window, but I could see the mouse cursor change when hovering over areas of it, as if kwrite was actually there. No particular error messages after launching kwrite.

Will do more tests later on
ITA84

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 15th, '16, 23:05

ITA84 wrote:I found out that I was missing the qtwayland5 package: after installing it, I started nested kwin_wayland and launched kwrite.

Well, seems that package should be suggested by kwin then - after your tests, can you submit that as a bugreport please?
----
doktor5000

Postby ITA84 » Jul 16th, '16, 08:44

I haven't done much more testing, but I've submitted bug #18954 (minor). I'll try and search for other missing dependencies (drm backend missing)

EDIT: there should be a fixed kwin package available shortly. For the missing backend, I've tried
urpmf KWinWaylandDrmBackend.so
and got no results. Under /usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/org.kde.kwin.waylandbackends/ there are only these backends

KWinWaylandVirtualBackend.so
KWinWaylandWaylandBackend.so
KWinWaylandX11Backend.so

so it seems the DRM backend isn't available at all

EDIT2: just tried to launch nested kwin_wayland with DRI_PRIME=1 (have an Intel/Radeon hybrid setup with DRI3) and it crashed with these messages

kwin_core: Failed to initialize compositing, compositing disabled
kwin_core: The used windowing system requires compositing
kwin_core: We are going to quit KWin now as it is broken

I doubt it was supposed to be working, but that's what happens
ITA84

Postby ITA84 » Jul 17th, '16, 08:25

Thanks to Nicolas kwin_wayland now works with the DRM backend! What's funny is that now I can see (and use) kwrite when launching kwin_wayland from a terminal, but on X11-nested kwin I still can't see a thing. Maybe it has something to do with my hybrid setup, or maybe it's an Intel SNA thing.

Anyway, the packaging issues seem to be gone now. I'll keep testing and report on what works and what doesn't.

EDIT: for those who're interested, the FBDEV backend is now available as well

EDIT2:
Installed the plasma-workspace-wayland package that I was missing and ran
export $(dbus-launch)
startplasmacompositor
from a tty. A KWin Wayland session started without issues and I'm now posting from it! It works surprisingly well, but it's not without flaws.
What seems to work:
  • global shortcuts, Wayland to Wayland app copy/paste (X11 to X11 too)
  • Wayland kwrite & konsole (no apparent glitches)
  • most plasmoids
  • task switcher effects
What I've found doesn't work:
  • my keyboard settings (seems to be set to the default American layout) for Wayland applications; X11 applications seem to be fine; my custom keyboard and mouse setting (repeat speed, tap to click) don't seem to be picked either (in any application)
  • X11 to Wayland copy/paste and viceversa
  • location of a lot of tooltips and initial positioning of windows; also, when I opened KMix, the volume panel forced maximized Firefox to the lower half of the screen; it also made Konsole (X11) to be partially overlapped by the Plasma taskbar
  • Plasmoid panel shadows aren't showing; X11 and Wayland windows are fine
  • had a small graphical glitch on the Plasma launcher menu the first time, didn't happen again

All in all, Plasma Wayland is in a surprisingly solid state. If it weren't for the window positioning (and possibly cross copy/paste, but that could be in Qt 5.7), it could be ready for regular use in some cases. Unfortunately I still need screen recording, so I won't be using it as the regular session. I'll come back to it now and then to test things out
ITA84

Postby ITA84 » Jul 24th, '16, 17:26

Some of the applications I've tried so far.
Firefox (XWayland) seems to work without issues, even Flash content. The only thing I caught was a small visual glitch the first time I entered something in the address bar: the drop down list was half grey. This only happens the first time after launch.
SMplayer (XWayland) opens, but gives an error when opening a video (a few debug messages about X11 Bad drawable/window come up when launched from konsole). Playing the same video from commandline with mplayer works just fine.
I've tried a bit of LibreOffice (Writer and Calc, XWayland) and there don't seem to be problems. Calc fonts look a bit worse to me, but maybe it's just the overall size that's slightly shrunk.
Okular (XWayland) seemed to take a bit longer to launch than usual, but worked fine otherwise. No idea if it's possible to lanuch it in Wayland mode.
Dolphin, Konsole and Ark (Wayland) seem to work without issues, except for the general menu problems mentioned in the previous post. Gwenview worked ok as well, even with videos; it just started with the window moved down half the screen.

A number of application icons don't show on the task bar (but they're there in the menu).
IBus works fine with the Anthy input module, but only for XWayland applications; Wayland applications don't get the alternative input, just the normal one, and they don't make the switch shortcut work when in focus (works fine in Firefox, for instance). The IBus panel menu also has trouble disappearing.

EDIT: tried out a higher resolution external monitor and the desktop displays correctly, but maximized windows only scale to the resolution of the laptop screen; there are also some graphical glitches with other elements that appear to be related to the second screen (bootsplash, task switcher). I haven't tried using the two monitors at the same time to see how window placement works, but as I've read there are still issues with the compositor in multimonitor setups I won't even bother
ITA84

Postby ITA84 » Oct 8th, '16, 12:03

Tried out Plasma 5.8 and while there seem to be a bit less graphical glitches, the icons of the taskbar are all the Xorg icon, and global shortcuts no longer match those set in System Settings (for instance, KRunner was set to Alt+F2 but comes up with Alt+Space). All the previous issues using an external monitor persist (windows maximize to), as well as keyboard settings.

In short, nothing interesting and some regressions

EDIT: taskbar icons should be fixed next release
ITA84

Postby ITA84 » Oct 7th, '17, 09:46

Just installed Plasma 5.11 Beta and it doesn't seem to suddenly crash anymore. A few things seem to have improved, like the title bar fonts for Plasma - or maybe Wayland - applications (they were way smaller before), but there are still a few things that don't work right:
- hovering the mouse pointer on the Plasma desktop and panel makes it larger than it is on, for example, Firefox (X11); all applications (X11 and Wayland) maximize only to a part of the screen, and the Plasma startup splash looks all weird; I think all of these depend on my laptop + higher resolution external monitor setup (trying with laptop lid closed)
- my keyboard still has the wrong layout (US) on Plasma or Wayland applications, while it's correct on X11 Firefox; custom auto-repeat key settings don't work on either, the defaults seem to apply
- still having minor graphical glitches on my Plasma panel; Plasmoid menus appear in the wrong place, and the Desktop Switcher Plasmoid is invisible
- SMPlayer still crashes upon opening a video (audio works fine), while the command line mplayer works

I'll do more tests to see if KWin can still crash. I'd rather not test it on the laptop screen only because it might mess up my setup on X11 (I'm regularly making screen recordings and sometimes things move a few pixels off when settings change)

EDIT: one thing I noticed when playing the Java game Spiral Knights (aside from the screen size problem like Firefox) is that the mouse locking system activates, but it shouldn't! In fact, the mouse doesn't get locked on X11, and the pointer doesn't move in the game anymore until I press and hold Esc. Should I file a bug upstream?

EDIT2: other corrections and additions
ITA84

Next

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron