Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Re: Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

Postby ranchhand » May 31st, '16, 20:00

I find that Gimp is about all you really need. It does need to have all the goodies added to it to do the most interesting things with.

Krita is pretty nice too. Better than Gimp if you are creating images but while I can "draw" a bucket of water I can't draw anything else.

I want to try fotoxx out because it may be a better match for some people as it sounds a bit simpler to use than Gimp. Have never used it and think Mageia is the place to try that out.

I have not used darktable much the default look is too dark for me and I really need to see if I can do something about that because it looks interesting, the headache I get from black themed applications is not. But if I would just get into the files with Gimp for a bit I can probably fix that.

Exiv2 is something everyone should have. I don't use my phone as a camera much, pixel density is too low on phones, and I don't have GPS enabled on it. Most normal people use the phone cameras and have GPS enabled. This is fine, and very handy, I would like GPS on my next camera. With that you can take a photo of some place months or years apart by checking the exif data stored in the image file. Way too many people are not aware of this, take a cute picture of their cat being weird in the kitchen and then post that picture along with the GPS coordinates for their kitchen. This is not a real great internet security policy. With Exiv2 you can delete the exif data or edit it so it doesn't include things like the ability to put a big red X on your house in some mapping application on line.

I do some spraying of noxious weeds (invasive species that will take over due to no competition) and GPS coordinates from a GPS unit combined with some phots we take really makes going back to the exact spots easy. Great tools but people do need to know that the "locations services" in phones can also be extremely handy for bad actors wanting to know you habits and selfies posted with that sort of information of what you are doing all day is not a smart thing to do. Just like a weed possition anyone with that data can retrace, within feet, your movements. Wipe that info from your pictures before posting or turn off the "location services".

Mageia is due for a prolonged visit from me just for doing some image work. Have been hammering away setting up some chroot scripts for managing my 8 installs on my internal drives. Need a break from constant Debian usage. I think a few days of Mageia will be fun.

Also need to update/upgrade packages on the Loaner Drive. While running on it I will be deleting one of my Debian testing installs so that I can install the Mageia 6 stuff to get back into how all that process works and get the subscription to mailing lists and so forth.

I also need to do some serious hunting in the Magea files. I am one of the Xfce users. Will not get started on how great it is. But the keybindings are one of the things I like along with the way they are managed in Xfce. One of them behaves slightly differently in Magea and Debian. This difference is not from the Settings Editor>xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts. At least I don't think so. One moves the focused window in a Workstation to the target workstation (Debian) and the other moves both the focused window and the user to the target workstation (Mageia). Both these behaviors have some distinct advantages. This is the sort of thing that sets off my curiousity. So I need to track down just what makes this difference.

A slight modification to the key bindings in both distros could give me both functionalities in both distros. I don't use a lot of key bindings but the ones I use I use a lot. I really like both those behaviors for different types of use cases and will have them both on all installs when I figure this out.

Need to record the settings in Debian carefully before shifting over to Mageia.
Code: Select all
~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml

should be handy.
SelfBox1 8G ram, ADM FX-6300 6core 3.5GHz, Radeon HD 6450, Audigy2 5.1, 3x500G HDD 1x320G HDD, 500G External, Debian Stable, Debian Testing, Debian Sid and Mageia5 on the 2 internal drives.
Several external drives with various distros installed.
ranchhand

Postby isadora » Jun 1st, '16, 12:26

Well ranchhand, a very warm welcome!!!!!!! :)
And hopefully your explorations may grow to something big!!!!!

Have magical times around!!!!! ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby wilt » Jul 7th, '16, 02:36

Hi , I have been trying various distros and puppy has been the easiest to use so far, but I like the look of Mageia and have loaded it onto a spare drive after formating it .I think the version I have is 4 and I see there are newer versions available but I cannot authorize the upgrade due to non-acceptance of pass words to authenticate. Where do I go on the forum to get advice about these administrator passwords? Incidently I can log onto the cosole as SU but dont know what to type to find and fix the password problem.
wilt

Postby isadora » Jul 7th, '16, 17:21

Well wilt, first of all a very warm welcome to the Mageia-forum.
You already made it this far, so concerning your password-issues, i like to advise you, posting your questions in the "Basic support"-section.
For the actual version: at this very moment Mageia 5, but it won't be very long until version 6!

And for now and the future i wish you magical times around!!!!! :)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby wilt » Jul 7th, '16, 23:19

thank you I'll re-post my query there
wilt

Postby itzcuintli » Jul 14th, '16, 16:43

Hiya all, new to Mageia. Like what I see so far! I got started on Linux two years ago with Xubuntu. My Asus netbook with XP died and I couldn't afford a new computer. I was so sick of Windows viruses I took a chance on Linux. There is a FreeGeek center near where I live (http://freegeektwincities.org/) and they recycle old computers with their spin of Xubuntu. I bought one of these used computers for $100 US, a Dell Optiplex-745, dual core, 2gb ram. A week later I realized that the problem with my Asus was Windows, lol! I went back and had them put Xubuntu on that, too, and it worked fine! When I started I knew next to nothing about Linux in specific or computers in general, besides how to turn it on and use Firefox and Microsoft Word. I had been afraid to try Linux since the only thing I knew about it was that it was hard to use :( . But I read a ton and started volunteering at FreeGeek and within a few months I knew enough to replace the motherboard on my own (bad capacitors in these old Dells) and was running Linux Mint Mate. Now I'm taking the Linux Foundation's Intro to Linux class ( https://www.edx.org/course/introduction ... -lfs101x-0 ) and am learning command line! You don't have to be a geek to use Linux, but Linux does make it super easy to learn how to be geek if you want to! :D

I've tried a few distros lately; Fedora, Debian, OpenSUSE and some Ubuntu variants. I wanted to learn more about Linux as a whole. I really liked OpenSUSE but they're dropping support for old computers. I gave Mageia a try and I found the MCC to be similar to Yast. I really like the Mageia tools! I know enough to run Debian and Fedora, but Mageia seems to be a better fit for me. I like that Mageia is a stable, democratic, community run distro, like Debian, but more accessible to beginners. I like the handy welcome center, ability to pick your repos on the GUI and get set up with media codecs so easily! It was even a snap to install Dropbox and Virtualbox. The documentation is clear and concise and the forums are friendly. Mageia Xfce is my main machine, now!
itzcuintli

Postby isadora » Jul 14th, '16, 19:53

First of all, itzcuintli, a very warm welcome to the Mageia forum!!! :)

Great introduction, i could say merely a review, liked what i read.
Nice way you rolled yourself in the magic of Mageia.

Would it appear, you want to have your own contributions to our community-driven contribution, i like to propose our info about how to:
https://www.mageia.org/contribute/

The best of times around!!!

isadora

Postby jmcastix » Aug 3rd, '16, 10:48

Hola a todos , fui en su día usuario de mandrake, luego mandriva. Después ya le perdí el hilo a la distro y me pase a ubuntu, Linux mint.
Me gustaría volver con este proyecto de mageia, con la versión 6 ya con plasma 5. Esperaré a que salga para instalarla, he tenido buenas opiniones sobre mageia 5.

Un saludo y suerte con la 6 deseando instalarla.
jmcastix

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 6th, '16, 11:18

Hi, please be aware that this is an english forum, and many people here will probably not understand spanish.
Although you may want to check the spanish blogdrake forum: viewforum.php?f=22
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby plspls » Aug 14th, '16, 11:46

hello I am plasma kde user, but it does not work. can anybody fix plasma please? thanks
plspls

Postby Germ » Aug 15th, '16, 16:33

You need to ask your question in the appropriate forum and provide details.

Try the Basic Support forum: viewforum.php?f=7
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby plspls » Aug 15th, '16, 23:52

yep did exactly that
plspls

Postby plspls » Aug 16th, '16, 14:05

I present myself here just few days ago

and now I am the most prominent forum member hehehe
plspls

Postby Palin » Sep 7th, '16, 08:09

Hi there, just a few notes to introduce myself.

I'm an Italian professional system administrator. While on the job everything is red & gray (redhat & centos), I privately use Mageia whenever possible (such as my private pc and on the job workstation). It rocks!

I come from Mandrake, tested the first version (I think it was called 5.1 back then, following Redhat's versioning), and choose it as my main system(s) from version 7.0. So I did all the whole update cycle through Mandriva and when the inevitable happened, jumped to Mageia 1 upgrading live a couple of systems. But I really suck at coding anything longer that a few hundred lines... (bash, python, php, name it).

I use to report some bugs in the bugzilla but currently that's all I can do to collaborate. Except promoting Mageia whenever I can both on the web and social network and in real life (and putting cauldron stickers on my PC get some attention too).

And for the few which met my path on the social networks, I'm the guy with the old MacBookPro (running Mageia, of course!). But I'm switching my main PC, so more in another post in the right section.
Palin

Postby Germ » Sep 7th, '16, 16:30

Hi Palin! Welcome to Mageia. :mrgreen:
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby PauloCreto » Sep 16th, '16, 00:08

I'm back

Best regards,
Paulo Creto old "Creto"

T+ = Bye
PauloCreto

Postby isadora » Sep 16th, '16, 16:36

Creto, welcome back!!!!!
What can i say, have magical times, but.....................................
NEVERNEVEREVER walk away again, or a magical spell will be your part. :)

Great to have you back!!!!

isadora

Postby PauloCreto » Sep 16th, '16, 17:05

isadora wrote:Creto, welcome back!!!!!
What can i say, have magical times, but.....................................
NEVERNEVEREVER walk away again, or a magical spell will be your part. :)

Great to have you back!!!!

Keep calm, i open the google translate...

I, on the condition that I have in life, since I am a great sorcerer
And any spell would be good for me
And sure, you are a excellent hostess Isadora!

Sorry for my bad English, I still use translate google :roll:

Best regards,
Paulo Creto

T+
PauloCreto

Postby Germ » Sep 16th, '16, 18:29

Welcome Back! :mrgreen:
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby PauloCreto » Sep 17th, '16, 16:57

Germ wrote:Welcome Back! :mrgreen:

Thank's Germ!
:D :D

T+ = Bye
PauloCreto

Postby zenfloater » Oct 2nd, '16, 19:40

I have been using Linux since the first boxed release of Slackware in the 90's.
And I've been thinking about community run distributions such as ARCH, or FEDORA, or Manjaro, or even Debian.
And of these four, it seems that only Debian, ARCH, and Manjaro have no parent company overhead which steers them around.
For me anyway, Debian takes an infinity to release and still has many bugs and is an aweful mess to use. The current version of Debian doesn't support my new laptop.
ARCH is fine for people who want to put bleeding edge projects, but it doesn't run well enough for me to rely on it for a day to day distributions.
I found Manjaro a bit more stable but, still a pain to keep up and use.
I do enjoy Slackware and it's quite stable but, I'm getting older and don't really want to build 250 packages over a week just to get it into a useful state.
I am using Slackware still for my server, but even in the server situation, I'm thinking about changing.
Currently, I'm using Peppermint 7 as my desktop on this new laptop as it requires at least a 4.4 kernel to access my peripherals.
I also listen to Klatuu on the GNU World Order and he's using Mageia on his new laptop, and Klatuu has good judgement.
Klatuu always likes community run distributions which aren't bleeding edge and easy to maintain and install software on.
So, I think when Mageia 6 comes out, I'm going to install it over my Peppermint 7 OS on this new laptop and use it.
And if I like it, I will probably think about replacing my server with Mageia 6 as well.
While I can stay on Peppermint 7 for several years, I'm just not that crazy about Ubuntu based OS's and the direction they are going, MIR, snappy and all that.
And while I realize Klatuu likes Fedora, I've always viewed Fedora in the same light as ARCH in that it's really a tip development OS which tests new technologies
and it's meant to be your day to day driver.
The other thing about community OS's is that you don't have to worry about them going bankrupt or wandering away from the mainstream direction of Free Software.
Someday, Mageia will adopt wayland, for instance. And that is the mainstream way we are going.
The other thing which appeals to me about Mageia is they release ruffly every year. I wish Slackware could do this but,,,,
They also seem to upgrade things all during the release, which is very nice.
And I'd like to have the new plasma desktop.
I used to run REDHAT over 10 years ago, and loved the fact you would have multiple desktops installed and switch back and forth when you got bored tired of one.
Mageia brings back that old time REDHAT feel before RHEL and Fedora came into being. And the best part of it is you don't have to run all over the internet
to find repo's for this OS. With Mageia, they have their own repo's which are at your disposal which they continuously upgrade.
And that's definitely a step up from REDHAT and it's very much easier to maintain that running a Slackware desktop, less effort.
And we also have to consider UPGRADE in PLACE to be another extremely attractive feature of Mageia.
I always contribute money donations to the OS's I've used and intend to with Mageia if things work out.
And hope they continue to grow and survive and don't end up doing what happened to Debian.
Anyway, her'e's to the future!
zenfloater

Postby Germ » Oct 3rd, '16, 11:53

Welcome to Mageia. :mrgreen:
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby xboxboy » Oct 3rd, '16, 12:03

Welcome Xenfloater!
You've a long history. The beauty of a community distro is you can help shape it. Drop past the contribute page (link at the top of the page) to see if you can help in anyway: There's something for everyone, time being the biggest restraint for most of us.
xboxboy

Postby Grabo » Oct 16th, '16, 21:14

Impressive! Inspired thinking!!

I'm on Mageia 5 with Xfce. Cut my teeth on the Amiga A500, but then life interfered. Been a Windows user for a long time with a real desire to go Linux. Once had a Linux Acer Aspire One Netbook, but the motherboard got fried. Several Windows crashes, forced data losses (I do do backups, forced Win 8.1/10 upgrades) and some run-ins with other Linux OS's later, I stumbled over The Magic.

This is what I have always maintained Linux should look like, the free version, not the proprietary one. I can really move around in this one! Man! No words for it. I think you got it taped. Very much the Intuitive approach of the old Amiga, doing it as you think it. Contribute? Gladly! Just need to get the lie of the land to avoid making a fool of myself.

Now ,where do I go for my T-shirt?
Grabo

Postby johnr » Oct 18th, '16, 00:21

Hello folks hope all are doing well

Well i have been trying out mageia for a few weeks now in virtualbox i must say feels solid
think its time to put it on the metal as full install.. i have been trying so many distro's i
think we all been there.. i been using linux for 4 months learning new things daily

i do think i can make a home on this distro

all the best john
johnr

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome on board