How to make Mageia more user-friendly

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

How to make Mageia more user-friendly

Postby liaosing » Apr 4th, '16, 17:48

Can some of you please get together and discuss how to improve on Linux Mageia to make it more user friendly like Windows ?

Who are the original author of Linux Mageia ?
liaosing

Re: How to make Mageia more user-friendly

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 4th, '16, 19:29

Well, we all get together on mailing lists, forums, bugzilla and on IRC and do that every day. You're welcome to help on that, see https://www.mageia.org/contribute/

For the "original authors" see e.g. http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauld ... iew=markup

Do you have any particular proposals what should be improved and made more user-friendly?
And for the other part, we most certainly won't make it "more like windows". I'd suggest you to read up on Linux is not Windows
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby marja » Apr 4th, '16, 19:41

Hi liaosing,

Mageia is a community distribution. That means that there is no enterprise that owns Mageia. Mageia is made by volunteers, and there is no barrier between contributors and users: every user is welcome to contribute. As the page doktor5000 linked to shows, there are many different possible ways in which contributing is possible.

If there are things that you would like to see changed or improved, the best way to make that happen is to start contributing. Even if you don't have the talent or knowledge to make your desired changes happen: sharing the total workload increases the chance that someone else will find time to work on the changes that are important to you.

Kind regards,
Marja
marja

Postby marja » Apr 4th, '16, 20:08

To be honest, I don't know what is more user friendly in Windows in your eyes.

In Mageia, I can select and install an amazing amount of great applications without paying one dime. http://madb.mageia.org/
I don't have to worry very much about viruses since there are nearly no Linux viruses. Also, Mageia does not collect data from its users without them explicitly choosing to share those in e.g. a bug report or here in the forums. Windows collects data automatically, directly from your system, without giving a choice: http://www.computerworld.com/article/29 ... lsory.html

To me, Mageia is much more user friendly.

What exactly do you miss in Mageia, or what exactly do you think should be improved?
marja

Postby benmc » Apr 4th, '16, 22:06

Hi liaosing

I am and have been a Windows user since 1995 and a Linux user since about 1998.
I use Windows(7) at my work on one computer dedicated to Windows because one programme that does not have a Linux equivalent is required.
No, it is not photoshop.
All others are Mageia for everyday use like e-mail, document viewing and creation, web searching for information, on-line banking, on-line purchasing, audio editing and CD creation.
At my home, all the computers are on Mageia and we Skype, e-mail. watch movies and on-line tv, you-tube and face-book, listen to music, surf the web.
I dont have to worry about malware as much when I am using Mageia, as most is written for Windows.

I am comfortable with the use of both, am aware of the differences but prefer to use Mageia Linux.

How exactly would you like Mageia to be more user friendly and be more like Windows?
Do you often set up from scratch Windows systems?
benmc

Postby jiml8 » Apr 5th, '16, 04:52

I am of the opinion that the only way to run Windows is in a virtual machine hosted in Linux. This is because Windows is difficult to maintain under the best of conditions and is often almost impossible to recover if it gets screwed up. By having it in a VM, which is backed up on a regular basis, recovery becomes quite simple; just delete the corrupted Windows and roll in a backup of the virtual machine.

Asking for any *nix to be "as easy as Windows" is, at best, naive. Linux is actually easier than Windows, once you get past your bias that the "windows way" is the "best (or right) way". As far as point and click, and doing things using a mouse and a GUI, Linux is very similar to Windows in how it works, and is just as easy.

But when things get tough, Linux is far easier than Windows. Recovering a corrupted Linux installation is usually quite simple (so long as you have made routine preparations before it gets hosed), while recovering a corrupted Windows can be impossible regardless of the precautions you have taken. This is why people are always reinstalling Windows; you just can't fix it. It is NEVER necessary to reinstall Linux (again, presuming you have a disaster plan in place) pretty much regardless of what happens.
jiml8

Postby liaosing » Apr 6th, '16, 06:52

The problem with Linux Mageia is some websites is not compatible with it. Example the popular website www.teamviewer.com software cannot be download into Linux Mageia.

There are many serious drawbacks for Linux Mageia.

Furthermore the Linux Mageia operating system cannot be downloaded easily into CD/DVD.
liaosing

Postby Latte » Apr 6th, '16, 12:00

liaosing wrote:Example the popular website http://www.teamviewer.com software cannot be download into Linux Mageia.
That's not true. I'm running teamviewer on Mageia as host as well as client without any issue. You can simply install the available rpm (http://download.teamviewer.com/download ... r.i686.rpm). You will probably get a missing signature warning as it is not an official Mageia rpm: please refer to the teamviewer FAQ to solve this as well: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/363- ... stallation

BTW: that the rpm is officially not provided for Mageia it's not the fault of Mageia but Teamviewer, since it's closed software, and they are the only ones who are reponsible for providing the packages. Please complain there the missing listing of Mageia as supported distribution.

liaosing wrote:There are many serious drawbacks for Linux Mageia.
Please provide details...

liaosing wrote:Furthermore the Linux Mageia operating system cannot be downloaded easily into CD/DVD.
We are providing iso (live and pure installation media) which you can easily burn on a DVD - what in particular are you looking for?
Latte

Postby jiml8 » Apr 6th, '16, 12:07

I also have run teamviewer in Mageia without any difficulty at all.

I have no trouble burning DVDs with Mageia on them; I have done it many times with probably just about every version of Mageia. I also have installed Mageia on USB sticks, without difficulty. I have installed Mageia in virtual machines.

I did have a lot of trouble with Mageia on a laptop I built, but other than that I have encountered no difficulties installing it on various things.
jiml8

Postby jiml8 » Apr 6th, '16, 12:13

I think maybe we are getting trolled again. Too many statements that are objectively false. And the statements that head this thread are basically uninformed opinion, and therefore of little value.
jiml8

Postby liaosing » Apr 6th, '16, 12:28

Thanks a lot for your reply to my dummy knowledge on linux mageia.

I am not suggesting to make linux mageia like windows. I am trying to find out if linux mageia can be re-designed to be better than windows.

Linux mageia is not compatible with a lot of websites. One popular and very useful website is TEAMVIEWER http://www.teamviewer.com, cannot be installed directly into linux mageia easily. Can you expert fix on this ?

If you want to make linux popular for dummies like us, it is better to create a linux that does not require any technical knowledge at all when you install any software driver or programs into the linux OS.

Please take a look at the Android Operating System for smartphones, tablets, phalets, etc. Android is also a free open source operating system. It is generally more easy to use, this make Android Operating System overtake Apple iOS as the preferred mobile phone operating system.

Is it possible we learn something from Android way of doing things, to make linux as good as Android ?

Appreciate your input.
liaosing

Postby jiml8 » Apr 6th, '16, 18:04

To repeat myself - and I don't like to do that - Teamviewer works fine on Mageia. You have had two people on this thread tell you they use it. Pay attention.

And, it is funny you should choose Android as an example. Because Android, you see, is Linux.

Oh...and you should have followed that earlier link to "linux is not windows", and read it. You would have learned that we really don't care if "linux is made easy for dummies".

And, as for whether Linux will succeed or not...Linux has completely won. The internet runs on Linux. Microsoft's cloud service runs on Linux. I am not sure of the details, but apparently future versions of Microsoft Windows will actually be Linux. I do know that Microsoft and Canonical are working to integrate Windows and Ubuntu; I am not sure what that will look like.

So, we are not concerned about whether Linux will succeed; Linux already is hands down the dominant operating system in the world. The only place it does not rule is on the desktop, and with Microsoft's move, soon it will rule there too.
jiml8

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 6th, '16, 20:40

liaosing wrote:Linux mageia is not compatible with a lot of websites. One popular and very useful website is TEAMVIEWER http://www.teamviewer.com, cannot be installed directly into linux mageia easily. Can you expert fix on this ?

It can be directly installed in Mageia easily, you just never asked how to do that. This is even mentioned in our tips&tricks subforum: https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5235
In fact it only takes this command as root to install it:

Code: Select all
urpmi http://download.teamviewer.com/download/teamviewer.i686.rpm

And for the record, my Mageia installation displays the website http://www.teamviewer.com just fine so it's definitely compatible with linux.

What are the other lot of websites that are not compatible with linux?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby liaosing » Apr 7th, '16, 11:20

Can you please provide the method how to install the teamviewer software for Linux Mageia 5.0 ? Thanks.

I also downloaded the Linux Mageia 4.0 into the DVD, but when I try to install onto the laptop it doesn't work. Why is it linux mageia have difficulty installing into the laptop computers ? Why can't linux mageia was provided into a non image file, where you can copy directly into DVD and can be used to be installed into any computers ?
liaosing

Postby Latte » Apr 7th, '16, 13:15

liaosing wrote:Can you please provide the method how to install the teamviewer software for Linux Mageia 5.0 ? Thanks.
Sorry, but are you only posting or are you also reading some replies to your posts? I provide you a link, doktor5000 provide you another one and a direct command to install it... Please use the internet and click them and read them..

We can answer this question also again 1000 times and you will post this question 1001 times?
Latte

Postby liaosing » Apr 8th, '16, 13:19

We want to use linux to run a special unique software program, and was told by the software consultant that the following need to be done :

- choose KDE (GNOME will lock keyboard and mouth)
- search for "gcc", and click to uninstall "gcc 4.82"... and click "Apply"

- search for "gcc" again and click "gcc3.3"
- search for "tcsh" and install

- search for "ncurses" and click all the "libncurses*" and install
- search for "libx11" and click all "libx11-devel" and install

- also install "ncftp" and "gnuplot"

Why is it linux mageia 4.0 need to play around with KDE, gcc, tcsh, ncurses, libncurses, libx11, libx11-devel, nctftp, gnuplot before our software can be installed ?

There are many bugs inside the linux mageia which you need to fix in order for other software to run on linux mageia. Why don't you remove all the bugs inside the linux mageia to make other software run properly ?

On the other hand, can you provide the link where the linux mageia source codes are located so that we can debug them for you ?
liaosing

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 8th, '16, 18:33

As a general hint and golden rule: Please only one problem per thread, open a new thread for this new question of yours.

And how does Mageia play around with KDE, gcc, tcsh et al - if you want to install them because the software you need requires them then install them. Mageia cannot read your mind and install packages on it's own.
For the bugs, report them in bugzilla and they may eventually be fixed, if there are people who can contribute their spare time for that. You are aware that Mageia is made by contributors, who do all of this in their spare time, without receiving any money?
You can contribute too, see https://www.mageia.org/contribute/ (already posted in the first reply).

Source code is located in svn and git:
https://svnweb.mageia.org
https://gitweb.mageia.org/
Feel free to debug and post fixes to bugzilla, help is welcome.
----
doktor5000

Postby liaosing » Apr 14th, '16, 11:53

You claim that Linux Mageia is fully designed Operating Sytem for Open Source use. What is the use of labelling it open source, when it is not easy to be used by non Programmer dummies like us ? When something is that difficult to be used, the open source concept is meaningless. The linux mageia 4.0 cannot even be installed onto laptops easily.

I suggest we design another really open source operating system which can be used for all kind of computers, be it personal computer, laptops, tablets, etc. We can use the linux mageia as the basic platform. We will call it Intelligent Internet Operating System, which means this operating system can be used immediate to access internet website, once it is installed, and compatible with all kind of computers.
liaosing

Postby Bequimao » Apr 14th, '16, 12:11

Please stop ranting! The mageia developers can't support software, which is obsolete for more than 10 years. Perhaps you should consider that your software consultant may be a dummy, too.

Greetings,
Bequimão
Bequimao

Postby Latte » Apr 14th, '16, 13:33

liaosing wrote:What is the use of labelling it open source, when it is not easy to be used by non Programmer dummies like us ?
What is the difinition for "open source"? I thought it was just that the source code is open available... I don't see any relationship to the ease of usage.
I don't have any personal benefits of open source, because I'm not a programmer and do not have any programming skills. But I believe in open source because there are programmers out there who can read, prove or improve the code. So in fact I do benefit from open source...

liaosing wrote:I suggest we design another really open source operating system which can be used for all kind of computers, be it personal computer, laptops, tablets, etc.
Please feel free to do so...
Latte

Postby liaosing » Nov 25th, '16, 04:35

Here are the reasons why Linux is losing badly to Windows :-

Linux vs Windows Comparision

1. No operating system is as user-friendly as Microsoft Windows. No one wants to write numerous lines of code if he/she can get the same work done by a few clicks. The user interface of Microsoft Windows is much better and easy to adjust as compared to the Open Source Operating Systems. This is due to the fact that Microsoft Windows is designed in such a way that even the most basic users can adjust to its interface.

2. Windows commands a market share of around 90% while Linux is still languishing at around 1%, even today. Due to its large user base, Microsoft Windows has a wide ecosystem and supports a large number of software which provides its users an opportunity to select software programs as per their need – many of it being free software too. Open Source operating systems also have a huge collection of supported software but in comparison to Microsoft Windows, they lag behind; seeing that most of the software programs are built while taking Microsoft Windows into consideration.

3. Open Source operating systems like the server editions based on Linux Kernel are often called the most secure operating systems. If not better in this regard, Microsoft Windows Server Editions are equally secure and they are constantly being made better day by day. The fact is because Windows is used by most people around the world, malware writers find it more profitable to attack Windows, hence it is hammered at more often. After all, why would anyone want to target 2-3% of the operating system market?
liaosing

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 25th, '16, 18:01

It seems you didn't even read the previous replies ...
----
doktor5000

Postby liaosing » Nov 26th, '16, 04:41

You are right. Anyway why Linux Mageia have compatibility issues with the following software which were originally designed for Linux Mandriva that is useful in connecting to networking system.

- KDE

- gcc

- tcsh

- ncurses

- libx11

- ncftp

- gnuplot

- IceWM

Is the above software code found in Linux mandriva ?
liaosing

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 26th, '16, 18:06

You should ask that in a Mandriva forum. Apart from that, even the first part of your post doesn't make sense, all of the software listed can be installed without any issue.
If you encounter an issue under Mageia, then provide the details about that in a separate thread in on of the support subforums.
----
doktor5000

Postby liaosing » Nov 28th, '16, 02:37

Here is why Linux is making the same mistake as Windows. The Linux and Windows people are putting all the useless software inside their platform which make the developers all frustrated. Why would Linux want to include software system for designing game software ? Can you design a software just for personal and commercial use ? If you want a Linux Operating System to run gaming, then you should create a separate programming and put under applications. Then you will have a lightweight and fast and powerful Linux OS.

See comments below from another website :-

1.Inertia. If you've used Windows in the past then switching to something else is a hassle. If you're on Windows DirectX is easier and more likely to work well than OpenGL.
2.Market share. The market share of Windows on the desktop is bigger than that of OS X which in turn is bigger than that of Linux. Money talks.
3.Brand. DirectX is better known than things like SDL (which is the sort of thing you would need to replicate some of DirectX's features that go beyond OpenGL).
4.Less confusion. Will the user's Linux only support up to OpenGL 1.4 or OpenGL 2+? Can you use an OpenGL 2.0 tutorial like An intro to modern OpenGL. Chapter 1: The Graphics Pipeline on your version Linux?
liaosing

Next

Return to The Wizards Lair