Broadcom wireless

Broadcom wireless

Postby DShelbyD » Apr 21st, '11, 18:13

Recently I questioned https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42#p310 the absence in Mageia of out-of-the-box support for certain Broadcom wireless hardware such as the bcm4318 in my Compaq V2000. The availability of open drivers for kernels since 2.6.36 greatly eases installation, making it possible to configure a notebook with that hardware but without an existing connection to the Internet.

I first saw this new kernel feature when I ran a DVD of aptosid a few months back. Using their WICD, I was able to establish wireless from the DVD. It was a real let-down when I installed Mageia Alpha 2 on that same notebook not to be able to find the b43 firmware and drivers included. As I reported following the post linked above, the 'buntus also have not included it in their kernels. Does anyone know why? Is it not in the plan to offer this feature of the recent kernels in Mageia? I'm willing to file a bug report if it will help get this done. I know how to download the firmware and install the drivers, but IMO this is an implementation that should be out-of-the-box in Mageia.

A couple of hours ago I ran the Fedora 15 Beta Live KDE CD on that notebook. Because Fedora aims to be "free-er" than many others, I did not expect it to include the firmware/drivers on the CD, but, running it without a wire, I just wanted to see what the desktop looked like. To my great surprise, Network Manager saw my network when I scanned for it, AND it connected once I supplied the WPA2 password.
David
DShelbyD

Re: Broadcom wireless

Postby wobo » Apr 21st, '11, 18:22

DShelbyD wrote:...running it without a wire, I just wanted to see what the desktop looked like. To my great surprise, Network Manager saw my network when I scanned for it, AND it connected once I supplied the WPA2 password.
Yes, this is the way it is supposed to be. Not supplying those drivers on the installation media is to avoid. You can get any other drivers (webcam, proprietary graphic drivers) later but having a working network connection by initial installation is a must-have, with the same importance as the necessary drivers for harddisk controllers.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby DShelbyD » Apr 21st, '11, 20:12

Bug report filed (request for a new feature) citing the two posts above:

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=923

Wobo, thanks. I trust that you don't mind being dragged into my whining in this report! :roll:
David
DShelbyD

Postby wobo » Apr 21st, '11, 20:16

I reported it before somewhere here... With Alpha2 I had to plug in a wire, get the driver tarball, do a configur/make to get the module. Haven't tested with Beta1 yet.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby DShelbyD » Apr 22nd, '11, 01:42

wobo wrote:...With Alpha2 I had to plug in a wire, get the driver tarball, do a configur/make to get the module. Haven't tested with Beta1 yet.

I just test with the DVD64. I go to configure the wlan0 wireless (not "Windows drivers") and it asks for the b43 firmware from the "Core" source, which I interpret to be the DVD; so I shove the DVD into the slot and there appears to be an installation. I return to the configuration page, and it asks whether I want to install wpa_supplicant. Oh, alright; so the DVD spins again.

I continue with the attempt to configure, and the system is involved in an endless search for drivers on the HD. Nothing happens, so I quit the process after 5 minutes. I start the configuration process again from the beginning, and it complains that there is no firmware present. Good grief.

I'm eager to test Fedora 15 KDE on that machine (Gnome 3 is impossible -- I've tried it and get extremely aggravated, not knowing what to do with it), so I'll do that rather than go through the painful process of hooking up a wire, downloading the firmware and driver package, etc., etc. I'll try again with Mageia Beta 2 -- if there is any visible movement on incorporating the Broadcom firmware and drivers.

David
David
DShelbyD

Postby wobo » Apr 22nd, '11, 02:29

DShelbyD wrote:...and it complains that there is no firmware present.

That's the main issue. The firmware for this chip is not included.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby DShelbyD » Apr 29th, '11, 22:11

It still is missing in Beta 2, so with no features to be added until after release, it seems Broadcom wireless not be part of the magic of Mageia 1.
David
DShelbyD

Postby isadora » Apr 29th, '11, 23:18

DShelbyD wrote:It still is missing in Beta 2, so with no features to be added until after release, it seems Broadcom wireless not be part of the magic of Mageia 1.

Maybe worth checking as well Shelby?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=143#p976
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby DShelbyD » Apr 30th, '11, 13:31

Been there, done that -- no joy. Fedora 15 Beta sees the Broadcom, and configuration can be completed without downloading anything on a wire. So can Pardus 2011. So can aptosid.
David
DShelbyD

Postby DShelbyD » May 4th, '11, 03:38

This page: http://hany.sk/~hany/RPM/f-updates-14-x86_64/b43-openfwwf-5.2-5.fc14.noarch.html

It's a Fedora Project update page (for Fedora 14) linking to and describing the open firmware for certain Broadcom chipsets. The rest of the stuff below is quoted from that page. See especially the last item (the copyright). This firmware package makes dkms-broadcom-wl, b43-fwcutter, and the proprietary driver package broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5 and the fetching/installing/initializing thereto appertaining unnecessary for those with the affected chipsets. It's out there, it's free, and it simplifies wireless connectivity dramatically. I can't see why Mageia would not offer it.

Open firmware for some Broadcom 43xx series WLAN chips.
Currently supported models are 4306, 4311(rev1), 4318 and 4320.

Provides
b43-openfwwf

Requires
module-init-tools = 3.2
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) = 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(FileDigests)
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) >= 4.0-1
udev >= 062
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) >= 5.2-1

Copyright
GPLv2
David
DShelbyD

Postby mechatotoro » May 16th, '11, 07:36

DShelbyD wrote:Been there, done that -- no joy. Fedora 15 Beta sees the Broadcom, and configuration can be completed without downloading anything on a wire. So can Pardus 2011. So can aptosid.

Yes, I had the same problem with my dell netbook. Luckily, I have a Pardus 2011 partition, so I just copied the b43 folder to /lib/firmware.

After adding the new wireless connection with MCC and using the ucode5.fw file for the wlan-0, the wifi was up and running.
mechatotoro

Postby Krille » May 23rd, '11, 06:40

That´s really disappointing....
I wanted to give Mageia a try, installed the RC1 and it was impossible to activate my wlan.... there´s a Broadcom b4312 chip in my notebook and i never had problems with lots of other distros.....but with Mageia.......

Really sad, so i think there will be no chance for Mageia to be my operating system :-(
Krille

Postby DShelbyD » May 29th, '11, 02:33

Krille wrote:Really sad, so i think there will be no chance for Mageia to be my operating system :-(

Speaking for myself, I'm not suggesting that it is sufficient reason to reject Mageia. The Broadcom can be configured with some time and effort. It's just that I thought all developers would be including the capability once it was available, and I'm disappointed that Mageia (and some others) don't offer it. I want to know why -- not to harrass -- but to know.
David
DShelbyD

Postby ferri » May 29th, '11, 11:37

Is it so big problem for you to download needed packages manually from repos?
I have similar problem with knetworkmanager.
I have mobile internet via huawei modem which does not work with standard network center.
It took me 2 hours to download 17 rpm files and resolve all dependencies about knetworkmanager.
But this is not reason for misusing Mageia.
ferri

Postby DShelbyD » May 30th, '11, 18:47

ferri wrote:Is it so big problem for you to download needed packages manually from repos?
I have similar problem with knetworkmanager.
I have mobile internet via huawei modem which does not work with standard network center.
It took me 2 hours to download 17 rpm files and resolve all dependencies about knetworkmanager.
But this is not reason for misusing Mageia.

It is a big problem only because the 4318 chipset would work out of the box had the free 2.6.37 and above firmware been included in the Mageia kernel. In my view, it's different with Knetworkmanager, because knetworkmanager IS included and the huawei modem is the problem, as I understand it. You see, Broadcom has provided a solution, whereas huawei has not. But Mageia has not incorporated the solution provided by Broadcom.
David
DShelbyD

Postby ferri » May 30th, '11, 20:01

You are not right.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=272
ferri

Postby DShelbyD » May 30th, '11, 23:28

Thanks. I should have remembered that Mageia uses drakconfig for network configuration.
David
DShelbyD

Postby nikhil » Jun 4th, '11, 19:11

It would really help if someone posted the detailed instructions on what packages to get rather than just quarreling.
That would help people like me who are stuck.
nikhil

Postby DShelbyD » Jun 4th, '11, 22:45

My wireless chip is a Broadcom 4318. Here is how I do it.

First issue these commands, in order, separately, from the terminal:
Code: Select all
su -
urpmi b43-fwcutter

After the firmware is installed, type "exit" to get back to the user terminal and run these commands (copy and paste them into the terminal to speed up the process and prevent typos):
Code: Select all
wget http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
tar xf broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
cd broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver
su
b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta_mimo.o
modprobe b43

Your wireless light should come on after the modprobe command, but a reboot may be necessary. Configure your wireless network access using Mageia Control Center.
David
DShelbyD

Postby DShelbyD » Jun 6th, '11, 00:25

This sentence is from a review of Mageia at http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2011/06/m ... magic.html. The topic is "Network."

"I still don't understand why this RPM was at all required in Fedora which supports Broadcom 43* WiFi cards out of the box."
David
DShelbyD

Postby darkduck » Jun 30th, '11, 12:12

thanks for mentioning my post here! :)
darkduck

Postby DShelbyD » Jul 7th, '11, 02:59

Not at all. Thank YOU for saying in your review what I've been saying here! :lol: :roll:
David
DShelbyD

Postby jeffreybruton » Jul 31st, '11, 00:29

DShelbyD:
Have you entered a bug re: this issue...as I agree its a very serious omission.
Thanks
Jeffrey Bruton
jeffreybruton

Postby DShelbyD » Jul 31st, '11, 01:20

jeffreybruton wrote:DShelbyD:
Have you entered a bug re: this issue...as I agree its a very serious omission.
Thanks
Jeffrey Bruton

See above: bug #923
David
DShelbyD

Postby egc » Aug 9th, '11, 07:58

For
Broadcom Corporation|BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [NETWORK_OTHER]
(vendor:14e4 device:4315 subv:103c subd:137d) (rev: 01)
see: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2266
egc

Next

Return to Networking