MATE Desktop Environment Unofficial Backports

This forum is dedicated to packaging and translating :

On those activities rely the making of Mageia Linux Distribution.

Post all questions and information about packaging and translating : feedbacks, discussion about guidelines, packaging practices...

Re: [Preview] MATE Desktop Environment

Postby tarakbumba » Jan 21st, '14, 01:28

airmaik wrote:Deleted icewm but the problem remains

Please copy/move /etc/xdg/mate/menus/*.menu files to /etc/xdg/menus/
This should solve your issue. This is a mate-menus issue and thank you for identifying. Fixed mate-menus package is underway for Cauldron. If i manage to spare time, i' ll update Mga3 one too...
tarakbumba

Postby airmaik » Jan 21st, '14, 18:40

airmaik

Postby tarakbumba » Feb 1st, '14, 22:58

Hi again. As you know Magia 4 is releaesed with full Mate Desktop support. Please consider upgrading your system to Mageia 4. I want to focus on bug fixing for official releases and pushing packages to Cauldron. So, i'm afraid i can not manage new updates for Mageia 3, due to lack of time and will.

Before upgrading to Mageia 4, i recommend you to uninstall all Mate packages from your Mageia 3 installation. This will give you the smoothest upgrade. Thanks for all your support and feedback!
tarakbumba

Postby tarazed » Feb 5th, '14, 01:40

Mageia 4 x86_64

This thread seems to cover everything to do with Mate. I have just switched to it
because it so closely resembles the old GNOME Classic. However, I am a fan of sloppy
focus so I invoked system settings and tried "window behaviour". I set the policy slider
to "focus follows mouse" and clicked apply before going back and quitting. No change. I
still have to click to focus. Is there any way past this? If not, should I file a bug
report at Mageia Bugzilla or somewhere else?

Len
tarazed

Postby tarazed » Feb 5th, '14, 10:09

Problem solved! There are two settings icons in the menus, one in applications and one in system. By accident I used the first one, which appears to be designed for KDE. Using the system menu settings brought up the Gnomish interface, so all is well except that I have to find the offending entry in applications and delete it; somewhere in /etc probably.

Len
tarazed

Postby tarakbumba » Feb 5th, '14, 10:58

tarazed wrote:Problem solved! There are two settings icons in the menus, one in applications and one in system. By accident I used the first one, which appears to be designed for KDE. Using the system menu settings brought up the Gnomish interface, so all is well except that I have to find the offending entry in applications and delete it; somewhere in /etc probably.

Len

Do you have also KDE installed? Also, would you mind to provide a screenshot of these two menu entries? It is a minor issue, but i think easy to solve. If you encounter other problems do not use this forum topic to report; it is for Mageia 3 unofficial packages. Instead open a proper bug report so we can track the issue down. Thank you for using Mageia and trying MATE Desktop!
tarakbumba

Postby tarazed » Feb 5th, '14, 16:18

Yes I usually install GNOME and KDE. Mate is the only DE which satisfies my needs and I already feel at home in it. Will supply screenshots when I can find the time and put something on Bugzilla if ever necessary. I have already had to do that on other issues not related to Mate.

It is we, the community, who owe thanks to you and all the Mageia developers and maintainers.
tarazed

Postby tarakbumba » Mar 11th, '14, 01:12

I' m starting to upload MATE 1.8 both for Magia 3 and Mageia 4.

Due to possible breakage with other components; MATE 1.8 will not provided either as Backport or as Updates for Mageia 4.

Who wants to break its system can download and install these. As always these packages provided as is and unsupported, unofficial, may burn your house to the ground. You have been warned!

If you find any bugs/errors with these packages you can try to get help from this topic. But it is not guaranteed!

You can find them at my personal site. I' ll update instructions in the very first post of this topic.
tarakbumba

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 11th, '14, 01:15

You may also want to adjust the thread title ;)

FWIW, I've take the freedom to make this a sticky thread.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby tarakbumba » Mar 11th, '14, 12:06

doktor5000 wrote:You may also want to adjust the thread title ;)

FWIW, I've take the freedom to make this a sticky thread.

Thank you doktor5000. I modified the title and first post.
tarakbumba

Re: MATE Desktop Environment Unofficial Backports

Postby tarazed » Mar 12th, '14, 17:54

Subject: Weather applet does not work from panel

This is a trivial matter really. The Other -> Weather menu selection provides the option of adding the application to the panel as an applet but that having been done the applet responds to left-click and appears to be thinking (rotating ring) and then times out or something. However, after copying the applet to the Desktop and deleting the panel applet it works fine.
As said, not important.
tarazed

Postby tarazed » Mar 12th, '14, 17:59

Re: Weather applet

I suspect that the problem is not knowing which window to display the results in. The panel obviously could not accomodate the image and controls without major reorganization so perhaps all it requires is a window reassignment.
tarazed

Postby tarakbumba » Mar 13th, '14, 01:33

Hi again! Please modify your urpmi medium adresses to
Code: Select all
urpmi.admedia --distrib 'http://tarakbumba.mageia.org.pl/$RELEASE/$ARCH'

Mr. Daniel Napora and Mageia Polish Community kindly and graciously provided help and a new/better place for my unofficial packages repository. So, repository transferred there.

@tarazed i' ll look to that when i get free time. Thanks for feedback.
tarakbumba

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 13th, '14, 23:44

tarakbumba wrote:Hi again! Please modify your urpmi medium adresses to
http://tarakbumba.mageia.org.pl/$(mga_version)/$(arch)

where $(mga_version) is your Mageia version and $(arch) is your system architecture.

make that
urpmi.admedia tarakbumba 'http://tarakbumba.mageia.org.pl/$RELEASE/$ARCH'

$RELEASE and $ARCH are official variables for urpmi.addmedia:

man urpmi.addmedia wrote:Variables
Beginning with urpmi 4.6.16, you can use variables in media URLs (for example /mnt/mirror/$RELEASE/$ARCH/media/main). The variables supported so
far are:

$ARCH
The architecture (if found in /etc/release).

$RELEASE
The OS release (if found in /etc/release; its value should be cauldron on a Mageia cauldron system.)

$HOST
The canonical hostname of the machine urpmi runs on.

$MIRRORLIST
The url of the default mirrorlist for the distribution.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby tarakbumba » Mar 15th, '14, 01:56

Wow! I have missed that, for sure. Thank you doktor! :)
tarakbumba

Postby tarakbumba » Mar 15th, '14, 15:09

tarazed, i can not reproduce weather-applet issue on my two different Mageia 4 VM installs updated with Mate 1.8 packages. Are you sure that no configuration file is corrupted or missing in your $HOME/.config/mate directory?
tarakbumba

Postby tarazed » Mar 16th, '14, 10:17

Re: weather applet

I cannot find anything relevant in .config/mate and now I find that the applet added from the Applications->Other menu does not even appear to respond. This is not really important to me as I have a desktop program of my own which summarizes local weather and can also use the gnome.org.weather applet on the panel.

Here is a snapshot of the mate config directory:
[lcl@belexeuli ~]$ cd .config/mate
[lcl@belexeuli mate]$ ls
backgrounds.xml  caja  keyrings  mate-dictionary  panel2.d
[lcl@belexeuli mate]$ ls panel2.d/default/launchers
calco.desktop         kcl.desktop          thunderbird.desktop
cashbook-1.desktop    libreoffice.desktop  timekeeper.desktop
cashbook.desktop      localbackup.desktop  totals.desktop
checkmydiary.desktop  menux-2.desktop      wv.desktop
contacts.desktop      menux.desktop        xbindkeys.desktop
journal.desktop       ruby.desktop
kaffeine.desktop      scales.desktop
[lcl@belexeuli mate]$ ls keyrings
[lcl@belexeuli mate]$

Nothing relevant there? I think we should simply drop this in view of the fact that it works for you.

Thanks for your attention.
tarazed

Postby isaiah36 » Jan 1st, '16, 13:34

I tried Compiz enabled Mate, but title bars and window sizing controls disappear. I enabled the 'Window Decorations' plugin, but same result. I googled the issue but didn't find anything useful beyond what I've tried already.

Any suggestions? TIA
isaiah36

Postby isaiah36 » Jan 1st, '16, 13:50

is it worth risking the Fedora rpm of 'compiz-mate'?
isaiah36

Postby tarakbumba » Jan 1st, '16, 15:52

Did you installed compiz-legacy packages from the repo or compiz 9.x from unofficial repositories? Either way you need to set emerald (which is not provide by official repos) or compiz-window-decorator in Window Decorations plugin.

I don't recommend you to install compiz-mate from fedora. Compiz packages in my repository already provides same functionality with compiz-mate packages.
tarakbumba

Postby isaiah36 » Jan 1st, '16, 16:07

Hi tarakbumba, thanks for the reply. I have 0.9 version. I have the "Window Decorations" plugin enabled. What repository should I add? I have Mageia Core, Non free and Tainted configured.
isaiah36

Postby isaiah36 » Jan 1st, '16, 16:22

This is the command for my Window Decorations
exec \"${COMPIZ_BIN_PATH}compiz-decorator\"

Can you give me the exact edit to make here, if any?
isaiah36

Postby tarakbumba » Jan 1st, '16, 18:23

Your repositories are fine. But you've hit a bug in compiz. I'll look into that. Meanwhile you may modified that line as:

exec "/usr/bin/compiz-decorator"

Note that, compiz 0.9 versions don' t use gtk2 window decorations. So, you'll get only gtk3 default window decoration: adwaita. If you want to use and try other decorations you should add my custom repository (decribed in post#1 of this thread) and install emerald from there. Also, you can get compiz-0.8 (compiz-mate equivalent) from there by installing task-compiz-legacy.
tarakbumba

Postby isaiah36 » Jan 1st, '16, 20:37

Thank you! That worked.

Did I understand you correctly that any GTK3 theme will work with it? I changed the colors of the Adwaita theme but some buttons are washed out, unreadable. Ideally I would want to download a dark GTK3 theme and maybe tweak it. I was using BlackMATE and liked it a lot.
isaiah36

Postby isaiah36 » Jan 1st, '16, 22:26

I successfully installed a theme called 'Ambiance...' although some others I extracted into my .themes dir do not show up in the "Appearance" panel. So, now I have a dark theme going with compiz. No glare in the eyes. Thanks!

(I cannot make the pointer larger, but not a critical issue.)
isaiah36

PreviousNext

Return to Packaging and translating for Mageia