Server distro

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Server distro

Postby kmr » Nov 4th, '15, 20:55

Now that Mandriva has gone under, wouldn't it be an idea to create a free server distro by adding and integrating the enterprise MCC packages of MES and also integrate Pulse.? I have used MES 5.2 and found it really easy and user friendly. The installer could easily be modified to install server or install workstation as the first step.There are repositories out there with the source code. I think this could make a big difference in the marketshare for Mageia especially in the SME marketplace
kmr

Re: Server distro

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 4th, '15, 22:38

Well, there is no need to create a free server distro - Mageia is a free distro, and many people use it to install servers.
Also our installer easily allows to distinguish between package selection for a client workstation or a server, and even auto-install.

For MDS/MMC (MCC is mageia control center ;) ) pulse and other packages from MES, there is work in progress on those to be added in base Mageia repositories.
The company that is currently behind those http://www.siveo.net/language/en/ is working on getting those packages in.
See the recent discussion on council mailing list: https://ml.mageia.org/wwsympa-wrapper.f ... 00004.html
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby kmr » Nov 5th, '15, 01:22

The problem is not the installation per say, but the config of the systems, Mail, LDAP users in LDAP etc
kmr

Postby agron » Dec 22nd, '15, 19:08

All Mageia needs is a Server option on the installer page where you choose KDE/GNome / Other.

The OP is right, that we really do need a server option, because if you choose KDE and then uninstall everything causing problems in the server like Akonadi, and then everything useless for servers like KDE PIM, LibreOffice etc.

Thanks,
//Agron
agron

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 23rd, '15, 01:19

Huh? What should that "server" option do exactly? And FWIW, for a real server KDE or X is definitely not one of the things that should be running on them.
And why do you want to uninstall everything? You can use our current installer to do a minimal installation, and then install e.g. task-kde4-minimal.
And if you really want to remove akonadi, then do it properly, after reading the documentation: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Speeding_up_ ... _PIM_suite
Apart from that, KDE PIM and libreoffice are no servers.

Sorry, but what you request doesn't make sense.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby neoclust » Jul 24th, '17, 17:06

FYI,

pulse 3.6 is available in mageia 6.

For mageia 7 i will package Pulse 4.x
neoclust

Postby neoclust » Jul 24th, '17, 17:14

kmr wrote:Now that Mandriva has gone under, wouldn't it be an idea to create a free server distro by adding and integrating the enterprise MCC packages of MES and also integrate Pulse.? I have used MES 5.2 and found it really easy and user friendly. The installer could easily be modified to install server or install workstation as the first step.There are repositories out there with the source code. I think this could make a big difference in the marketshare for Mageia especially in the SME marketplace

MSS which was in Mandriva Server Edition is available in github
https://github.com/pulse-project/mss .

It needs a little help to work on mageia 6 and 7 but i am available to help and package new versions in mageia 6 backports or updates if needed.
neoclust

Return to General discussions about Mageia