Unreal Engine 4.9 On Linux [SOLVED]

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Re: Unreal Engine 4.9 On Linux

Postby isadora » Nov 22nd, '15, 21:16

Please nextwave, don't forget to mark the topic [SOLVED].
You can do so, by editing the subject/title in the first message in this topic.
Write [SOLVED] to the left of subject/title, thanks ahead. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Re: Unreal Engine 4.9 On Linux

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 22nd, '15, 21:19

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [SOLVED], thanks
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Unreal Engine 4.9 On Linux [SOLVED]

Postby nextwave » Nov 23rd, '15, 20:30

Thanks again everyone!!
nextwave

Postby pete910 » Nov 23rd, '15, 22:42

nextwave wrote:Image

8-)

Are you new to UE4 nextwave ?

Am new to all of it, been watching the tutorials that the epic guys had done. Having a blast (pardon pun) tbh.

The Blueprint system is epic! ( Ok, meant that one)
pete910

Postby nextwave » Dec 2nd, '15, 18:33

Yea.. we have a small team that was getting pretty tired of the engine they were using and wanted to switch to an engine that would be more uptodate with features and overall quality. So far I've been busy building assets for the game and letting our coder take care of the blueprinting lol I haven't done much with it besides asset importing, heightmap importing (just to keep the same landscape as the original game) .. so far I'm pretty impressed. I spent over 4 weeks manually building a heightmap from topographical lines provided by google earth of the area around Rachel, NV which is the closest town to the top secret military base 'area51'. I was able to recreate the map to be 90% accurate. Can't wait to see how nice it looks in Unreal Engine. Plus the fact that I won't need to have a Windows machine anymore (i will be at least the need is gone) In game to travel from the town to area 51 was 45 minutes!! Pretty close to the real time to travel the distance in reality.

nextwave

Postby pete910 » Dec 9th, '15, 03:18

Keep us updated, I know not technically relevant to the thread title but interesting none the less.

Side note, How are you finding the stability ? It can be fine for hours with me then crash twice in 10mins some days

Edit:

UE4 4.10.1 has been released, numerous fixes including some bug/stability linux fixes

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?93719-4-10-1-Hotfix-Released
pete910

Postby pete910 » Dec 23rd, '15, 21:09

Anyone had any luck with 4.11 ?

I keep getting a compile error

Code: Select all
*snip*
[675/862] Link libUE4Editor-AITestSuite.so
[676/862] Link libUE4Editor-UE4Game.so
-------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
ERROR: UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: /home/pete/games/UnrealEngine-release/Engine/Binaries/Linux/libUE4Editor-Engine.so
Total build time: 1638.28 seconds
Makefile:193: recipe for target 'UE4Editor' failed
make: *** [UE4Editor] Error 5

only other thing I see is this looking back on the compile output

[1/187] Compile Module.Engine.22_of_31.cpp
In file included from /home/pete/games/UnrealEngine-release/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Linux/B4D820EA/UE4Editor/Development/Engine/Module.Engine.22_of_31.cpp:6:
/home/pete/games/UnrealEngine-release/Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Private/Particles/SubUVAnimation.cpp:5:10: fatal error: 'ConvexHull2D.h' file not found
#include "ConvexHull2D.h"

Only package I've found with ConvexHull2D.h reference in it is apache-commons-math-javadoc
pete910

Postby pete910 » Jan 4th, '16, 13:14

FYI UE4 4.11 compile

Found the issue, seems to be a case sensitivity thing

In file Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Private/Particles/SubUVAnimation.cpp line 5

Change

#include "ConvexHull2D.h"

to

#include "ConvexHull2d.h"
pete910

Building UT4 on Mageia

Postby hoyt » Mar 8th, '16, 07:22

Has anyone attempted to build the UnReal4 engine using Mageia ?
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/Development/BuildingUnrealEngine/index.html
as well as the launcher?
https://ut.rushbase.net/rush/UTLauncher

There's certainly the possibility to build it on Ubuntu (all the Linux HOWTO pages are written just assuming that Ubuntu=Linux), but I'd hate to have a separate Ubuntu system just to do that just like I'd hate to have a separate MS Windows system.
hoyt

Re: Building UT4 on Mageia

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 8th, '16, 07:56

See the existing thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10468
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby hoyt » Mar 8th, '16, 08:13

doktor5000 wrote:See the existing thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10468

Thanks. I had searched for "UT4" before posting and then saw that discussion while browsing the topics.

It's been a while since I've compiled anything complex and, while I believe I can handle the actual compilation just fine, I am stuck at linking my github account to my profile on unrealengine.com. Apparently. "Make sure you linked your GitHub account to your profile on https://unrealengine.com, as all Epic repositories are private." is inadequate instruction for me. I see nothing on either site as to how to go about that. Any advice on that?
hoyt

Postby hoyt » Mar 8th, '16, 18:50

OK, sorry to sound like such a newb. I understand that you must log in to Git-Hub with the SAME account (my email address) that I used to set up my account on https://unrealengine.com/.

That was not made very clear by using the term "register" since there is no "register" link to be found and no instructions to "register".

Such unclear instructions were why I became a tech writer in the first place and contributed to the Mandriva 7.X documentation, wrote HOWTOs for MaximumLinux and LinuxFormat magazines back in the day as well as co-authoring some of the RedHat/Fedora Unleashed series for Pearson. It's nice to be back in the game.
hoyt

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 8th, '16, 21:27

Well, the engine is still called Unreal Engine, UT4 is just a game using it ;)

Do you mind if I merged your thread together with the existing one, it's easier to have that information on the same topic in one place?
----
doktor5000

Postby hoyt » Mar 8th, '16, 21:49

By all means. Thank you.
hoyt

Previous

Return to Advanced support