Problem with net "Wi-Fi"

Problem with net "Wi-Fi"

Postby spawn » Jul 12th, '11, 11:24

hello, i new user to to mageia, and i really love it really but i', having the problem with the net the thing is that i can get myself connected to Wired-net but i can't use the wifi and it tells me that i should install the ndiswrapper and i did and i tried to install but i've failed for some reason i don't know, so i would like to know if the ndiswrapper is the perfect choice for activating the wifi or there's another solution for providing the wifi inside this distro i'm looking for answer please and i will highly grateful for any help i'm gonna get, thanks in advance
spawn

Re: Problem with net "Wi-Fi"

Postby djennings » Jul 15th, '11, 21:09

First of all you should make sure you have a full set of online repositories enabled including the non free repository.
MageiaControlCentre>Software>SetupSources

Next run through the setupnetwork Connection GUI in MageaiControlCentre>Network while connected to the Internet via Ethernet..

If there is a native Linux driver for your wifi card it will install the driver automatically. Only if there is no native Linux driver will it suggest using ndiswrapper.
Note: If the non-free repository has not been enabled it will not know about all the native Linux drivers so it is important to set up the repository before running through the network GUI.
djennings

Postby spawn » Jul 16th, '11, 08:28

i did exactly as you said and still i didn't get the wi-fi connection, the thing is that i have the wifi connection in the live cd but i got back to the Dvd distro because it has bigger software store and it has the bigger software programming platform for c, c++, Java and perl and those what i need in my studies the dvd version has bigger tools for development and it has bigger audio and video apps too, thats why i used
so i can get back and use the LiveCd distro so i can use the wifi but is there away to get a bigger Store for development tools and audio and vid, or not and if there's a way what's it?? thanks in advance for the help
spawn

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 16th, '11, 10:22

If you do the first step djennings wrote in his last post, then you have software repositories set up,
and you can install every package that's available for Mageia. Do this with a live-CD install and add
every program that's missing, it'll download it and install it.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby spawn » Jul 16th, '11, 10:26

i did and i was unable to get the net back at all, while i have it in the live CD version, now for me i have the question can i have the software management store specially the development and the multimedia in the live cd version if that possible how can i do that please

and thanks for you quick replay
spawn

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 16th, '11, 10:46

spawn wrote:while i have it in the live CD version, now for me i have the question can i have the software management store specially the development and the multimedia in the live cd version if that possible how can i do that please

Would you please reread my last post, especially the last sentence?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby spawn » Jul 16th, '11, 10:51

ok, sorry but i'm abit stressed because of this issue now if i want to add them how can i do that, would you please tell me how,
and again thanks for your time and coopeation i really appreciate that
spawn

Postby wobo » Jul 16th, '11, 11:21

You need to set up your online package media. When installing from a LiveCD this is done automagical.
Open "MCC -> Software -> Install & remove software" and set the first dropdown filter on the left side to "All" to see all available packages.

Now go through the lists and mark your needed applications for installation (dependencies will be included automagically).
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Return to Networking