Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

Postby isadora » Mar 26th, '11, 23:52

Like a new house that has just been handed out to it's new owners.

And this new owners are very happy to meet as many Mageia-users and all others
interested in this new forum.
So feel free to introduce yourself.

Hope you enjoy your stay here, and meet others. Searching for solutions,
bringing bright solutions, just for joy, or whatever reason.

I like to advise, reading the "Welcome-topic" first.

Don't forget the forum is just starting (many parts of it are not yet completely filled).

Be part of the Mageia forum and share the magic!!!
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Re: Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

Postby maat » Mar 27th, '11, 00:58

Thanks Isadora :)

Now people can introduce themselves if they like to. 8-)
maat

Postby isadora » Mar 27th, '11, 11:12

To make a kick-off i tell something about myself.

Isadora once was a bird of paradise in a Dutch animal-animation on children's-TV.
All of my PC's are having names of characters running around in that animation.

My interest for Linux started somewhere in the beginning of 2000.
Then Mandrake and until now (still) Mandriva, and since the first Alpa, Mageia!!!

I am very happy with what i have seen and experienced so far.
And where the start is already that good, i expect a great time ahead for this
new distribution.

In my professional life i manage an i-Series (former IBM AS/400) carrying
legacy-software, SAP-based programs, and others.

Free time is well spend by music, parties, good food, red whine, nice beers,
beautiful women, travelling,...............and all that lifts up the mood.

Live life now!!!!!!!
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby ashledombos » Mar 27th, '11, 12:27

My name is Raphaël, user of linux since 1997.
I use several distros now, and hope Mageia will rock :)
What ? i've not been long enough :P ?
ashledombos

Postby viking60 » Mar 27th, '11, 13:56

No! Please continue.......
:D
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Postby Lebarhon » Mar 28th, '11, 19:32

Hi everybody
My name is Andre-Marie and I am using Mandriva exclusively since 2006. I tried other distributions but I didn't like them. I am really angry against Microsoft.
My main contribution to Mandriva is translation and wiki pages, mostly about photograhy but not only. I am now writting a page about RawTherapy a digital photo developer.
I hope Mageia will inherit the good part of Mandriva and improve its dark side.
Lebarhon

Postby segfault » Mar 29th, '11, 00:14

Hey everybody,

My name is Corneliu and I have been using Mandriva since 2005 (with a one year Suse break in 2006) both at work and at home.
In my opinion a good distro must have the following: the absolute latest packages, minimal install for KDE, good KDE integration, lots of tools for managing the system, stability, nice and helpful forums and lots of packages available. Mandriva was all of that and I would love to see Mageia get even better.
Slightly off-topic but GO HABS!
segfault

Postby jesgar » Mar 29th, '11, 22:33

Regular user from Mandriva since 2007, on work and at home :-) Worried by Mandriva's destiny I have changed to Ubuntu in some computers. Also an Apple user :oops:
jesgar

Postby Capehart » Mar 29th, '11, 23:08

Hi all,

Today I'm feeling perhaps more wizened than wizard. I have been relying on Linux since the days of Mandrake and Caldora. A year or two back I had Mandriva One installed added a guest user login for a visiting friend. My system locked-up and while searching for a solution I discovered that the problem was three years old and no solution was offered other than the assurance that if I paid for support, someone might be able to help me fix it! Since that experience I have been mainly on Debian or Debian based OS's.

Mandriva also didn't appeal to me for simple aesthetic reasons. I hated the cute little icons on login and the witless looking penguin reminded me of another OS's dancing paperclip. The graphics were not the least bit compelling for me and I found the login music to be obnoxious. (There is no intention here to slam anyone who worked hard on these things its just that we all have different preferences.)

Mageia appeals to me for a number of reasons. I love the clean graphics and the idea of a co-operative international effort! Has anyone considered using various tones similar to Tibetan singing-bowls, for logins and system notifications? I applaud Lebrahon's intention to develop (ooh!) a photo image program, especially since I hope to continue with b+w film and neg-scan via my Pixma MP980 (which BTW has no, as in zero, Linux support other than TurboPrint and thankfully most scan functions via Xsane)].

Linux to me is akin to public radio, I listen, I like the focus, I am happy to send in what I can afford to keep it going. I wish that I were more of a geek and had something concrete to offer. I eagerly await the Mageia Beta iso. Best of luck to the developers!
Capehart

Postby Ake » Mar 30th, '11, 01:34

I am from China. I am not a technician, and my major was liberal arts when I was in school. I am interested in IT and Linux.

I once tried Linux in 2000, but later I was a Windows user for a long time. I started to know Mandriva Linux in 2007. Last year I became a Mandriva user and abandoned Windows from my personal computer.

I have used Mageia since the first day when alpha 1 was released. I assembled a computer by myself this year, and it works well on Mageia.

Best wishes!
Ake

Postby panahbiru » Mar 30th, '11, 07:16

greetings from indonesia folk!. I am a Mandriva Linux users since 2005, hope Mageia will rocking like the ancestors does.
Mageia Indonesia Community
http://mageia.web.id/
panahbiru

Postby eskroni » Mar 30th, '11, 09:44

Hi,

my name is Sigrid. I am German but live now in the southern part of Sweden.
My first contact with Mandriva Linux was with version 7.0 (I forgot which year this was),
and I am a loyal user since then. I really liked the ease of use of this distro and I am
very happy about it that it still is. I hope that Mageia will continue on the same road. ;)

So, let's have a lot of fun with this new distro!

Sigrid
Nichts auf der Welt ist so gerecht verteilt wie der Verstand.
Denn jedermann ist davon überzeugt, dass er genug davon habe.

Nothing in the world is distributed as equitably as the mind.
Because everyone is convinced that he has enough of it.
Descartes
eskroni

Postby Germ » Mar 30th, '11, 13:21

Hi everyone. :D

I think most of you know me. ;)
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby Ake » Mar 30th, '11, 14:24

Germ wrote:Hi everyone. :D

:D You have come here!
Ake

Postby wobo » Mar 30th, '11, 16:38

Germ wrote:Hi everyone. :D

It's a small world! Welcome Steve!
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby wobo » Mar 30th, '11, 17:30

I am aware of the fact that there are maybe more people who don't know me than others. So, here we go:

Not really much to say about me. I'm one of those dinosaurs who refused to join all the others a couple of million years ago. Came to know about Linux Mandrake the year it was born and followed it right up to today. I like the remarkable hardware recognition and support, the draktools and the MCC (SuSE's suseconfig gave me the creeps), and of course the general option to use the system in every possible way, matching the user's level of Linux knowledge and/or grade of lazyness.

My main concern is communication, user relation, support and documentation/translation. Some say I talk too much, some say I write even more. That's because I can talk and write. :) I am a friend of clear and open words but I don't like flame wars (although my fireproof underwear is always ready to be used). I like joking but I also agree to a limit where a joke turns bad.

Last summer I decided to put my bets on Mageia before this project was named so, and I'll do my best to make it win!
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby winstonteacox » Mar 30th, '11, 19:23

Hi there!

My name is Bernd.
I'm a teacher in vocational training (in a certain area ...). I am using Linux since 1998, since 2000 as the one and only operating system. Since 2008 I have used Mandriva, mainly because of its flexibility.
Wobo knows me, because I'm a member of mandrivauser.de. As my hobbies are photography and also hifi (of the nonexpensive kind), I'm especially interested in image-processing and audio software.

I have watched the birth of Mageia from the start and I am spreading the word to everybody who crosses my way ...

and: Wife and daughter are also linux-freaks (they like the "magic" in mageia and also the cauldron ...)

:mrgreen:
cheers,
Bernd
Last edited by winstonteacox on Mar 30th, '11, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Now after my words of profound wisdom, I'm going back to procrastinating.
winstonteacox

Postby codegazer » Mar 30th, '11, 19:28

Hello,

My name is Paul. I have been working with Unix systems for a very long time including: porting DRS-NX, PNX on PERQ, and AIX.
Started with Linux in about 1999 with Slackware, then SuSE, RedHat, Debian, and Gentoo.
In about 2000, I escaped from RedHat's "RPM dependency hell" when I discovered Mandrake. Thank you Gaël Duval!

I have used Mandrake and then Mandriva extensively on many machines and tried to contribute some things:
https://sites.google.com/site/mandrival ... allserver/
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Installing_ ... iva_2009.1
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Google_talk_video_chat

I have done lots of systems admin in AIX and Mandriva and work in computer security.
Recently, I installed Mageia and even this early alpha release is very impressive.
Tried Amarok in KDE and it worked beautifully.
I admire the forward thinking of the Mageia founders and I hope to be able to contribute in some way to its success.
--
Paul
"The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." --Eden Phillpots
codegazer

Postby jimtheplanner » Mar 30th, '11, 23:25

Hi Guys,

My names Jim I've been around linux for a long while. It all started with Mandrake 9.1 than a dabble with SuSE then back to Mandrake (I still have the MDK10 discs). I guess I stuck around during the Mandriva evolution as a power pack user up until the 'bad times'. I've jumped around a bit while Mageia comes together.

I would say I'm more of a dabbler rather an expert - having said that I look forwards to hanging out with good company; making some new friends and re-antiquating with old friends.

Regards
Jim
jimtheplanner

Postby PietroTux88 » Mar 31st, '11, 09:49

im Peter am 23 from Italy to city of Milan, and i like Mageia i want Mageia be Rolling Release for be best every day news packages updated fglrx,kernel,wicd(networkmanager, and others), if mageia is rolling best eccellent
Eat a piece of bread and after you're gone suddenly become a skeleton
PietroTux88

Postby davlucas » Mar 31st, '11, 14:27

Well, I'm an old Linux user from 1999. During mandriva and Mageia, I tested Fedora, which is good, but i was stucked by NetworkManager for wifi, so I moved to Mageia before the first stable release.
I work as technical support for a famous proprietary backup software
davlucas

Re: Welcome to the Mageia-forum

Postby Yaa101 » Apr 1st, '11, 02:35

Just a greet to fellow future Mageia users, after a long time on Mandriva with mixed emotions throughout the years I look forward on replacing to Mageia when the final comes out.
For me the 2 alpha's were stable and predictable in a virtual box machine, I trust that the final will be similar.

I wish the Mageia team all success in the world.
Yaa101

Re: Welcome to the Mageia-forum

Postby Germ » Apr 1st, '11, 13:41

Most of you probably know me from the mandriva forum.

I'm Stephen Germany from Chelsea Oklahoma, USA. I'm married, have one son and two grandsons. I live in a rural area NE of Tulsa,Oklahoma.
I work at FlightSafety, International in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. We build flight simulators.

Been using Linux since the mid-90s and started using Mandrake/Mandriva in 1999.
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby dave » Apr 2nd, '11, 08:57

Hi folks! My name is Davide and i'm italian. I'm 21 and using linux for about 3 or 4 years. My first distro was mandriva and has remained my reference kde distro (for gnome i'm using arch). Sometimes i try other distros but invariably within a few days back to mandriva. I love music and i play the guitar. I do not know what else to say so ciao ciao.
dave

Postby Sfiet_Konstantin » Apr 2nd, '11, 12:58

Hi
I'm a french student and I'm using Linux for about five years.
I go to Linux when MS decided to break everything and tracking people with their WinVista and always used Mdv, Suse, Ubuntu or Debian don't convince me.
With the problems from Mandriva (the society), I followed the developement of Mga and have switched to Mga 1 month ago. I was really imressed that all the ideas that I dropped in "ideas.mandriva.org" was already implemented with Mga Alpha.

Long life Mageia :)
Sfiet_Konstantin

Next

Return to Welcome on board