Virtualbox update - all VMs crash -> conflict with Ext. Pack

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Virtualbox update - all VMs crash -> conflict with Ext. Pack

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 1st, '14, 15:47

Hi all,

maybe some of you have noticed it too. After the recent upgrade to virtualbox 4.3.16,
if you had an extension pack installed previously and didn't update it, all your VMs will crash during startup.
For the Mageia VMs that happens shortly after bootloader, for Windows VMs supposedly short after desktop start.

This can be easily fixed, you just need to update the extension pack to the current version.

- download current extension Pack for 4.3.16:
Code: Select all
[doktor5000@Mageia4 ~]$ cd ~/.VirtualBox && wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.3.16/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.16-95972.vbox-extpack
--2014-10-01 15:22:02--  http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.3.16/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.16-95972.vbox-extpack
Resolving download.virtualbox.org (download.virtualbox.org)... 137.254.120.26
Connecting to download.virtualbox.org (download.virtualbox.org)|137.254.120.26|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily
Location: http://dlc.sun.com.edgesuite.net/virtualbox/4.3.16/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.16-95972.vbox-extpack [following]
--2014-10-01 15:22:02--  http://dlc.sun.com.edgesuite.net/virtualbox/4.3.16/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.16-95972.vbox-extpack
Resolving dlc.sun.com.edgesuite.net (dlc.sun.com.edgesuite.net)... 62.156.238.137, 62.156.238.128
Connecting to dlc.sun.com.edgesuite.net (dlc.sun.com.edgesuite.net)|62.156.238.137|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 15797030 (15M) [application/x-virtualbox-vbox-extpack]
Saving to: 'Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.16-95972.vbox-extpack'

100%[==============================================================================================================================>] 15,797,030  3.73MB/s   in 4.1s   

2014-10-01 15:22:06 (3.64 MB/s) - 'Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.16-95972.vbox-extpack' saved [15797030/15797030]

- cleanup, uninstall the existing one, and then install the new one:
[doktor5000@Mageia4 .VirtualBox]$ sudo VBoxManage extpack cleanup
Successfully performed extension pack cleanup
[doktor5000@Mageia4 .VirtualBox]$ sudo VBoxManage extpack uninstall 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack'
0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%
Successfully uninstalled "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".
[doktor5000@Mageia4 .VirtualBox]$ sudo VBoxManage extpack install ~/.VirtualBox/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.16-95972.vbox-extpack
Successfully installed "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".
[doktor5000@Mageia4 .VirtualBox]$

For more information, see
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08. ... ge-extpack
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01. ... installing
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Virtualbox update - all VMs crash -> conflict with Ext.

Postby claire » Oct 1st, '14, 15:51

You can also just download it from here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and then double click it :)
Help to make Mageia! Get involved.. Please come and join us
claire

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 1st, '14, 16:00

Baah, that's too easy, and the problem is for quite a lot of users this doesn't work, as the virtualbox installer doesn't clean up properly in many cases.
See e.g. https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7972
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wintpe » Oct 4th, '14, 14:42

mines brooke too and i cant see from that link what you are supposed to do to fix it.

ive removed my .Virtaulbox folder and reimported my vm's and reinstalled extention ack and still have a problem.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby wintpe » Oct 4th, '14, 15:31

OK so again my issue was with mga3

the next thing i did was remove virtualbox from system using mga control center, including the kernel modules.

reboot

reinstall above.

now the kernel driver fails to load, for vbox support.

tries a systemctl restart vbox..... whatever it was

still no luck

so uninstalled again

downloaded the same version for mandriva 2011 from oracle, installed and it works fine.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 4th, '14, 15:38

The link only shows a similar issue where clean installation of extension pack was not possible, in answer to Claire's post.

You should probably have a look at ~/.VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log and in the log files of the individual VMs in ~/VirtualBox\ VMs/*/Logs

How do your VMs behave exactly, and did you try without extension pack yet?
----
doktor5000

Postby louielouie » Oct 6th, '14, 18:52

The only issue I've been having with VirtualBox has been the lack of USB device notifications to the client - TomTom may run a Linux kernel but updates have to be applied by my Windoze client but w/o the host notifying the client, it's tuff to do. This applies to any USB device and yes, I have the current Ext. Pack installed.
louielouie

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 6th, '14, 20:43

Doesn't really belong in this thread, you may want to inquire in virtualbox forums about that: http://forums.virtualbox.org/
----
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Nov 6th, '14, 01:33

Thank you doctor, fixed it for me on cauldron (done it before but I always forget)
So in short a note for myself (and anyone): Get the extpack from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads , then
(close virtualbox)
$ sudo VBoxManage extpack cleanup
$ sudo VBoxManage extpack uninstall 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack'
$ sudo VBoxManage extpack install *.vbox-extpack
-and results from all commands were OK.
Then for the guest side:
In the menu of the virtualbox window frame of the running client (Win XP) selecting to insert the guest addition iso in the virtual CD drive, it pops up a dialog saying it can not find it.
In that dialog choose to let it download it, and it downloads i.e http://dlc.sun.com.edgesuite.net/virtua ... 4.3.18.iso
then in next dialog tell it to insert and XP then autostarts the guest side installer. (other guests may need to be directed to start installer on that "CD")

...that said, if we just want to get the guest up quickly it worked for me to disable USB2 in the settings and remove the (wrong version) extension pack
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Failure to install virtualbox extension pack

Postby tarazed » Dec 5th, '14, 01:36

I have been using VirtualBox with USB on one machine but having installed it on another machine need to enable USB access once more. Browsing the forums I discovered that the prorietary extension pack needs to be installed as well. Downloaded that but got an immediate failure when trying to install from Vbox manager.

Failed to run /usr/lib64/virtualbox/VBoxExtPackHelperApp --stdout /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-lxvave/stdout --stderr /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-lxvave/stderr --elevated install --base-dir /usr/lib64/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks --cert-dir /usr/lib64/virtualbox/ExtPackCertificates --name 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' --tarball /home/lcl/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.20-96996.vbox-extpack --sha-256 7e1253f7013e9cdc84a614a0db38b40de7bbd330cb5b85bd3ef3de213773450d.

Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib64/virtualbox/VBoxExtPackHelperApp --stdout /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-lxvave/stdout --stderr /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-lxvave/stderr --elevated install --base-dir /usr/lib64/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks --cert-dir /usr/lib64/virtualbox/ExtPackCertificates --name 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' --tarball /home/lcl/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.20-96996.vbox-extpack --sha-256 7e1253f7013e9cdc84a614a0db38b40de7bbd330cb5b85bd3ef3de213773450d" (No such file or directory)

The installer failed with exit code 1:

-> Details:
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ExtPackManager
Interface:
IExtPackManager {3295e6ce-b051-47b2-9514-2c588bfe7554}

The directory /usr/lib64/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks exists on the machine where the extension pack is installed and working but not on the current target machine. It looks like it is meant to be created when the tarball is exploded.
This is what virtualbox contains:
$ ls /usr/lib64/virtualbox/
components            VBoxDD.so               VBoxSDL.so
DBGCPlugInDiggers.so  VBoxDDU.so              VBoxSharedClipboard.so
dtrace                VBoxDragAndDropSvc.so   VBoxSharedCrOpenGL.so
helpers               VBoxEFI32.fd            VBoxSharedFolders.so
icons                 VBoxEFI64.fd            vboxshell.py
iPxeBaseBin           VBoxExtPackHelperApp    vboxshell.pyc
libvboxjxpcom.so      VBoxGuestControlSvc.so  vboxshell.pyo
loadall.sh            VBoxGuestPropSvc.so     VBoxSVC
load.sh               VBoxHeadless            VBoxTestOGL
nls                   VBoxHeadless.so         VBoxTunctl
scripts               VBoxHostChannel.so      VBoxVMMPreload
sdk                   VBoxKeyboard.so         VBoxVMMPreload.so
tools                 vboxkeyboard.tar.bz2    VBoxVMM.so
VBoxAuthSimple.so     VBoxManage              VBoxVolInfo
VBoxAuth.so           VBoxNetAdpCtl           vboxwebsrv
VBoxAutostart         VBoxNetDHCP             VBoxXPCOMC.so
VBoxBalloonCtrl       VBoxNetDHCP.so          VBoxXPCOMIPCD
VBoxDbg.so            VBoxNetNAT              VBoxXPCOM.so
VBoxDD2GC.debug       VBoxNetNAT.so           VirtualBox
VBoxDD2GC.gc          VBoxOGLhostcrutil.so    VirtualBox.so
VBoxDD2R0.debug       VBoxOGLhosterrorspu.so  virtualbox.xml
VBoxDD2R0.r0          VBoxOGLrenderspu.so     VMMGC.debug
VBoxDD2.so            VBoxPython2_7.so        VMMGC.gc
VBoxDDGC.debug        VBoxPython.so           VMMR0.debug
VBoxDDGC.gc           VBoxREM.so              VMMR0.r0
VBoxDDR0.debug        VBoxRT.so               webtest
VBoxDDR0.r0           VBoxSDL

What have I missed?
tarazed

Re: Failure to install virtualbox extension pack

Postby tarazed » Dec 5th, '14, 01:48

Just to be sure of clean start I used doktor5000's cleanup command, which failed more or less as expected on the missing directory.
[lcl@vega ~/Downloads]$ sudo VBoxManage extpack cleanup
VBoxManage: error: The installer failed with exit code 1: VBoxExtPackHelperApp: error: Failed open the base directory: VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND ('/usr/lib64/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks')
VBoxManage: error: rcExit=1
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ExtPackManager, interface IExtPackManager, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "Cleanup()" at line 1192 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp
tarazed

Re: Failure to install virtualbox extension pack

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 5th, '14, 02:04

You should report that upstream.

For a workaround, what happens if you simply create that directory? As root do
install -d -m 755 /usr/lib64/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks

edit doktor5000: I've merged your separate thread in the original thread, as the topic is basically the same
----
doktor5000

Postby tarazed » Dec 5th, '14, 02:26

Yes, I was about to try that. Done, and the result is the same so I still have to identify the missing file/directory. --cert-dir looks suspicious. Will follow up tomorrow.
tarazed

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 5th, '14, 03:06

VBoxManage extpack cleanup does not say what is missing? It did in your previous try ...
----
doktor5000

Postby tarazed » Dec 5th, '14, 14:01

I shall see about reporting this particular installation problem. Meanwhile I tried an illegal hack to get USB support; copying the installed extension pack from altair to vega. This does enable USB after a fashion. File manager access works but commandline does not because the USB drive does not appear in /run/media/<user>. I shall of course remove the offending directory from virtualbox. Section 2 of the licence agreement forbids propagation across computers. What really puzzles me is how the same version of the extension pack install correctly on altair, just a couple of weeks earlier.
tarazed

Postby tarazed » Dec 5th, '14, 18:55

As an afterthought I removed the copied extension pack and tried commandline installation instead of VBoxManager -> File -> Preferences -> Extensions
VBoxManage extpack install <name of extension pack 4.3.20>

and that worked without any apparent errors. However, although a USB device appears in the Devices->USB list and can be captured and released I see no way to actually access it. I need to go back and check other threads on this topic, later; no time just now. So my installation problem is solved but leaves a question mark over the gui installation method. I have started searching through the bug reports on the Oracle site for anything related to extpack installation errors.
tarazed

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 5th, '14, 23:48

Not sure what you initially wanted to achieve - if you only need to forward some usb device into a VM,
you don't need the extension pack - that is only required for USB 2.0 support.
----
doktor5000

Postby tarazed » Dec 6th, '14, 08:56

Thanks for that information - did not realize that extpack was not required. I have started a new thread on this subject but have decided to remove the VM and start again after Christmas if I can find the time.
tarazed

Postby morgano » Nov 13th, '15, 23:57

Virtualbox can fetch new extpack but not install it. - Workaround here:
(Mageia 5)

A while ago Virtualbox got updated to 5.0.8
I realised today it was still using extpack ver 5.0.4
Virtualbox fail to update the extpack; it downloads it but errs when it tries to install it, exactly as in tarazed first post above ( viewtopic.php?p=51960#p53317 )
(When I in Virtualbox main window select menu File > Settings and then Extensions (If i translate correctly) and then try to add, OR File > Check for update, say no to 5.0.10 (i stay on mageia latest package) and it asks if i want it to install 5.0.8 extpack)

Workaround:
1) close virtualbox
2) go to where virtualbox downloaded the file: /home/morgan/.config/VirtualBox/
, and you may wan to delete elder versions of extpack there
3) in a terminal there become root and
# VBoxManage extpack uninstall 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack'
Successfully uninstalled "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".
# VBoxManage extpack install the-correct-version-of.vbox-extpack
Successfully installed "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby tarazed » Jan 25th, '16, 15:36

Mageia 5, x86_64, VirtualBox 5.0.12, 4.1.15-tmb-desktop-2.mga5

Oracle Extension Pack 5.0.12

I have been having trouble just lately with my 32-bit VM running on a 64-bit host. It was refusing to start and the diagnostics pointed to a problem with the Oracle extension pack recently installed so I removed it and performed a cleanup using VBoxManage. I also removed all the virtualbox packages and reinstalled them. After that, re-installation of the extension pack succeeded but the VM refused to start. The diagnostics this time are difficult to interpret:

The device helper structure version has changed.
If you have upgraded VirtualBox recently, please make sure you have terminated all VMs and upgraded any extension packs. If this error persists, try re-installing VirtualBox. (VERR_PDM_DEVHLPR3_VERSION_MISMATCH).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

If I then disable USB3.0 in the VM it starts right away, so this seems to indicate that the extension pack might be the source of the problem but I am not sure. It looks very much like the problem which started this thread but no longer responds to the solution offered.
tarazed

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 25th, '16, 21:31

Well you should probably try reporting this upstream: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker
And FWIW, we're now at virtualbox 5.0.14 since yesterday: http://advisories.mageia.org/MGASA-2016-0035.html
----
doktor5000

Postby viking60 » Feb 3rd, '16, 21:05

Something like this happened to me too, on a different distro (Manjaro).

What fixed it for me was to rename (or alternatively backup, delete and copy back)the .vdi files in ~/VirtualBox/HardDisks/

Then delete the VM in the VB control panel - create a new one -and point it to the existing .vdi "disk".
After that I could check the USB controllers again too.

Might be worth a shot.

Discussion here and here
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Postby tarazed » Feb 3rd, '16, 22:06

Thanks viking60. Shall report back on result, yea or nay. If that works for me then it would be ammunition for Bugtracker.
tarazed

Postby tarazed » Feb 3rd, '16, 22:54

Redfaced apology. I just discovered that after updating to Virtualbox 5.0.14 I was still using the 5.0.12 extension pack so deleting the vdi was not going to help. Anyhow, the components now match and all is well. Sorry for the noise.
tarazed

Postby viking60 » Feb 4th, '16, 02:44

No worries :D It might still help others.
Just to clarify; the thing that worked was keeping the .vdi and delete the VM in Virtualbox and then recreate it - as in generating a new - and point it to the existing .vdi. The -vdi's were fine all the time in my case too.

(The backup stuff was only to prevent that the VB control panel should not completely erase the virtual disk during deletion so that I had an existing disk to point to.)
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Next

Return to Basic support