Mageia 4.1 has just been released

You'll find there general news and announcements about forums and Mageia

Mageia 4.1 has just been released

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 20th, '14, 23:07

Hi all,

thanks to the tremendous work of the QA team and many contributors, Mageia 4.1 has just been released.
See the blog post https://blog.mageia.org/en/2014/06/20/p ... f-the-hat/ for more details.

Most important part that should answer the question of all Mageia 4 users:

Please note that the Mageia 4.1 version tag concerns only the respin of the ISO images: the actual release that gets installed is still Mageia 4, with all ofthe updates that had been released by early June. This means that if you are already running Mageia 4 and performing updates regularly, you are not required to do anything since your system is already up-to-date. The Mageia 4.1 maintenance release is meant for new installations and upgrades from Mageia 3.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Mageia 4.1 has just been released

Postby ozky » Jun 21st, '14, 00:36

Good job thanks mageia.:D
Mageia user
ozky

dvd problems

Postby kd4dii » Jun 22nd, '14, 17:42

Hi
I have downloaded the 4.1 release severaltimes and when I burn it to a dvd with k3b or brasario the system reports it a a blank dvd when I reinsert it, Acouple of times it has seen there is data on the disk. When I try to boot it I will get a message 0 system 00 and 1 system 00. if I select one the disk trys to boot but never gets past the magic pot screen. I have tried burning other distros to see if my dvd drive is not working and they work fine. I would love to give Mageia a try but can't get past this problem. Any Ideas?

Bob
kd4dii

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 22nd, '14, 19:53

Please create a separate thread for that.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: dvd problems

Postby lloyd » Jun 27th, '14, 13:21

kd4dii wrote:Hi
I have downloaded the 4.1 release severaltimes and when I burn it to a dvd with k3b or brasario the system reports it a a blank dvd when I reinsert it, Acouple of times it has seen there is data on the disk. When I try to boot it I will get a message 0 system 00 and 1 system 00. if I select one the disk trys to boot but never gets past the magic pot screen. I have tried burning other distros to see if my dvd drive is not working and they work fine. I would love to give Mageia a try but can't get past this problem. Any Ideas?

Bob

Did you check to see that the md5sums or SHA matched? If not, your download was probably corrupted. It is possible that your drive can write properly, but cannot read properly. Or you may have a defective DVD.
Hope this helps.

Lloyd
lloyd

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 27th, '14, 17:55

Please read next time
doktor5000 wrote:Please create a separate thread for that.

That's what he did: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7933
----
doktor5000

Postby bobw » Sep 18th, '14, 00:27

I, too, cannot get MGA4.1_64-bit to boot on my HP DV5T. I downloaded the iso, burned it with K3B, all MD5 and SHA1 checksums were correct, and K3B verified the data - with one caveat. At the verify pass, I was prompted to put in a disk?!. It seems that re-reading the DVD takes FOREVER for the system to recognize it. I let it sit for about 30 seconds and kept hitting the LOAD button. It finally saw the drive and performed the verify. This behavior is EXACTLY what I see when I try to boot the DVD. The CDROM is not ready or is taking too much time doing whatever, and then grub appears and I proceed to boot into Mageia. Finally, after logging into KDE, the notifier pops up showing me that there is a disk in the CDROM - finally!

This whole incident was prompted by the fact that I had an entry in fstab that was deleted (/dev/sdb1) and MCC did not remove it from fstab. Upon reboot, systemd had issues trying to mount sdb1, and instead of allowing me to hit CTRL-D or enter in the root password (to mnt the partitions and remove the offending line in fstab), it just skipped over that part and went on to search for more hardware!!!!???? Hooray for systemd!!!! Locked out! So my solution was to reboot into rescue mode with MGA4.1 DVD. No luck!!! Dead in the water!!! Nada!!!! The DVD was not readable by the system.

Long story short - I rebooted with MGA3 and performed the rescue.

In my opinion, both DVD booting and use of systemd in Mageia are still too buggy for everyday use. I have had far too many times where I could not perform a shutdown from KDE using the logout/shutdown/restart buttons. Nothing happens. After opening konsole and typing 'systemctl poweroff' am I able to get the machine to respond. Coupled with the fact that I can't drop into a shell if bootup hangs....well you can understand why my opinion is such.
My feeling is that Mageia should give the user a CHOICE to use either sysvinit or systemd. My machine was FAR more stable using the former. I'm not happy about being forced to use something that is so buggy that I'm forever having to sort out these issues instead of getting work done on my computer!!!
bobw

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 20th, '14, 15:53

That DVD booting problems seems to be happening on your box only and that's hardware-related, and that's nothing we can fix.
Many other people used the DVDs sucessfully without issues.

For systemd, yes, failing to boot due to missing/nonfunctional filesystems that are not critical to Mageia, that's a serious flaw and has happened already too often.
Even after fresh install, mostly due to windows partitions. And that's definitely something that should prevent Mageia from booting. FWIW, see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_4_Err ... rrect_UUID

There are already several bugreports about this for Mageia 5, and hopefully we can get that fixed in a sustainable way.
----
doktor5000

Postby elizbeth » Nov 10th, '14, 08:08

Hi dear all

Please note that the Mageia 4.1 version tag concerns only the respin of the ISO images: the actual release that gets installed is still Mageia 4, with all ofthe updates that had been released by early June. This means that if you are already running Mageia 4 and performing updates regularly, you are not required to do anything since your system is already up-to-date. The Mageia 4.1 maintenance release is meant for new installations and upgrades from Mageia 3.
Regards
roma
elizbeth

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 10th, '14, 18:16

Hi elizbeth,

that's what the initial post says. Do you have any question about that?
----
doktor5000

Postby elizbeth » Nov 11th, '14, 06:21

Hi
No i dont have any query but cauldron is always dangerous for humans
roma
elizbeth

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 11th, '14, 18:05

How does cauldron relate to this thread at all?
----
doktor5000

Return to News and announcements