####Help us to help you REMINDER####

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Re: Help us to help you

Postby viking60 » Jun 26th, '12, 19:01

You must be working in the EU parliament :mrgreen:
Here:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandriva/d ... oarch.html
You do the "paperwork". I am strongly against bureaucracy. :D

Let us see if we can solve the Gordian knot :

1Everybody wants it.
2We have the rpm
3 It is suggested in the suggestion section of this Forum - but that does not count because;
4There is no entry in the correct Bugzilla, but all the info is in the Mandriva Bugzilla

An unsolvable problem? Image
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Postby isadora » Jun 26th, '12, 19:11

And this is where your friendly moderator is trying to support: ;)
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6586

Feel free to make any changes or additions.

Yours sincerely.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby viking60 » Jun 27th, '12, 14:48

Great piece of moderation there isadora.Image This was becoming a contest about "your" and "my" Bugzilla :D And Thanks!
I am sure Mageia will be able to keep up with Mandriva and maybe even be able to make the inxi -r (repositories) command work...
viking60

Postby dams » Jul 12th, '12, 19:48

dams

Postby viking60 » Jul 12th, '12, 20:25

Edit:
Just a little heads up:
If you update inxi to the latest version with
Code: Select all
inxi -U
it will update just fine but you will get an error message regarding the download of the man page.
This is because the name of the man page download has changed so it will be present in your newly updated script'.
The solution:
Simply run
inxi -U
again after the upgrade.
viking60

Re: ####Help us to help you REMINDER####

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 26th, '13, 11:12

yangynagsuu wrote:####SPAM DELETED######

@Peter: Please not only delete them, as the user seems like a bot. Better report the posts or move them to one of the internal forums ... ;)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Weatherlawyer » Aug 10th, '14, 13:50

wintpe wrote:Help us to help you

Mageia Forum users REMINDER

"many users continue to print one liners with no background info, Mageia can be setup with one of about 8 desktops, with different video drivers, network drivers, webcams, keyboards, mice, and we are not psychic, and we also canot read your mind.

Here are some commands that you can run, that the info will be relevant to helpers.

• dmesg this lists recent kernel and system messages, including failure to load or identify a bit of hardware.
• dmidecode equivalent to MS system info gives lots of info about your hardware.

if you have not worked it out, this all has to be run as cli commands in a terminal,

apologies to anyone who this is obvious to, im just assuming newby Linux user.
Regards peter

First off, thanks for everything. I have been using Linux for a few years now but haven't a clue what the hell I am doing. I especially have no idea what you are talking about concerning the bash -konsole thing. I am using Mageia 3 I think as it cam out of the box with whatever updates.

I would like a list of what hardware I have and other stuff too but I don't know how to transition from your command tips to the actual get it on konsole. I just copied the ones I thought relevant and pasted them.

[###@localhost ~]$ •dmidecode
bash: $'\342\200\242dmidecode': command not found
[###@localhost ~]$ dmidecode
bash: dmidecode: command not found
[###@localhost ~]$ ^C
[###@localhost ~]$

Is there a graphic interface that does this sort of thing?

Damn, sorry about not using code quotes. Not paying attention.
Last edited by isadora on Aug 10th, '14, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Command-output placed between [CODE]-tags, for better readability. ;)
Weatherlawyer

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 11th, '14, 01:20

dmidecode needs to be run as root. And it is not in your search path, so it will just say "command not found" when you try to run it as user.
You can run it as user via
/sbin/dmidecode

but you'll see that you're missing permissions.

Apart from that, dmidecode is usually overkill and provides too much information.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wintpe » Aug 11th, '14, 11:18

yes there was a whole list of options there in my original post to extract info,

I tried to summarise all the useful commands, and as docktor pointed out, only about the first 20-30lines of dmi decode is useful.

But to answer your question about a GUI tool.

there are gui tools under each desktop, you will find for example hardware info under mageia control center.

But linux is: and certainly most of the expert users are "command line interface, driven".

You should as simply a user be able to use a linux desktop, with never opening a "linux equivalent to the windows cmd shell"

but as soon as it all goes pete tong, you usually have to resort to CLI, as often the whole graphical user interface has failed.

in windows land, this would usually mean a blue screen of death and a re-install.

In linux land there's always a recovery option, even if painful, and long winded.

other less catastrophic problems can usually be much better understood when looking at the output of a CLI command, and many of the linux gui tools just issue cli options behind the scenes.

Linux is also a server operation system, as well as the guts behind many appliances, my humax PVR runs linux, many wireless access points run linux, and although again as a user you never need look at the command line, if you want to do anything out of the ordinary, or understand why they not be working correctly, the command line is a valuable resource.

If however you have no yearning to use linux for anything more than a secure and reliable, fast desktop, stick to a live dvd version, and if anything goes wrong, just reinstall it, and make sure your data is backed up somewhere safe, like you have to in the windows world.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby viking60 » Sep 13th, '14, 01:50

Weatherlawyer wrote:
First off, thanks for everything. I have been using Linux for a few years now but haven't a clue what the hell I am doing. I especially have no idea what you are talking about concerning the bash -konsole thing. I am using Mageia 3 I think as it cam out of the box with whatever updates.

I would like a list of what hardware I have and other stuff too but I don't know how to transition from your command tips to the actual get it on konsole. I just copied the ones I thought relevant and pasted them.

[###@localhost ~]$ •dmidecode
bash: $'\342\200\242dmidecode': command not found
[###@localhost ~]$ dmidecode
bash: dmidecode: command not found
[###@localhost ~]$ ^C
[###@localhost ~]$

Is there a graphic interface that does this sort of thing?

Damn, sorry about not using code quotes. Not paying attention.

You are the modern Linux user! You want to use Linux for something, making Linux the mean and not the target. Linux needs more of your kind so don't be sorry.
(Some like to drive the car and some like to fiddle under the hood)

Regarding your attempt you started with the overkill and you needed to be root as the doctor said and inxi confirms it
 inxi -m
Memory:    Using dmidecode: you must be root to run dmidecode

Install inxi and copy this into your terminal (konsole):
inxi -v7 -z

That will give you the information you need. And you don't even have to know what root is :D
Regarding the terminal or cmd shell in Windows - I can distinctly remember that scripting in cmd shell was very practical in Windows too, Especially with the Sysinternal tools that later were bought by Microsoft.
The difference is not that big - you can use it but you don't have to; in Linux and in Windows.

It is way easier to help people with the terminal though because the fixes can be copied and pasted.
viking60

Postby jessejazza » Oct 15th, '14, 13:48

I've been using linux since 2007. Fedora, pclos, Ubuntu, Centos.

I have to say that I found setting the package manager complicated... or I am just thick. Why has one got to use a certain location for upgrades... other distros don't. They select the nearest I suppose.

i was impressed by the desktop but the package management has put me off. The documentation is not clear to the new user.
jessejazza

Postby dbg » Oct 15th, '14, 19:33

To add to viking60's comments...A few months ago I got the author of inxi to add urpmq to display what repos are configured.
inxi -r

A good overview of the system would be:
inxi -v7 -r

inxi colors its output which makes it easy to read in a shell but if you use your clipboard to capture the output it will also grab all the color codes which makes the resulting text file hard to read. If you need to send the output to someone else (and you are not using IRC) a good command would be:
inxi -v7 -rzc0 > inxi-output.txt

This stops the color coding and filters some data that you might not want to share.
dbg

Previous

Return to Basic support