USB Mageia with persistent /home and /root

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Postby Max » Jul 11th, '11, 10:26

I saw this on Mandriva International Backports.
Is there a way to make one of those for Mageia too?
I'd be happy with a shell script or even just some CLI commands to run. But at some point I think we should make a packaged application to create such a USB.
Max

Re: USB Mageia with persistent /home and /root

Postby wobo » Jul 11th, '11, 10:32

You can also look at a step-by-step howto on http://www.mandrivauser.de/doku/doku.ph ... iystick_en (in English). It worked with MDV 2010.1/2 but it may need some adjustments for Mageia.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby Max » Jul 11th, '11, 17:57

wobo wrote:You can also look at a step-by-step howto on http://www.mandrivauser.de/doku/doku.ph ... iystick_en (in English). It worked with MDV 2010.1/2 but it may need some adjustments for Mageia.

I like how the first instruction is to download a tarball of customized system files.
That was the first clue that this isn't going to work for me.
The second clue was when I clicked the link and it only sent me to the blog, not to the proper post but to the blog front page. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, except that I don't read French.

Does anybody know what is in those customized system files, and/or what needs to be done?
Max

Postby wobo » Jul 11th, '11, 18:36

Max wrote:The second clue was when I clicked the link and it only sent me to the blog, not to the proper post but to the blog front page. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, except that I don't read French.

You don't have to read the blog. You only need the tarball. How you download it is described under "Preparations".
it is also described step-by-step how you unpack the tarball and what you will do with the files which are in the tarball.

Of course, you have to check if these files work with the current Mageia. This was written for Mandriva 2010.1/2

I only said that this howto describes one way to do it. Unfortunatly I don't have the time (and honestly: not enough interest in this topic) to check for myself. if it does not suit your way, no problem.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby pmithrandir » Jul 13th, '11, 13:48

Hi,

It was hard for me to find it, even I'm french, but that links should help you : http://lordikc.free.fr/wordpress/?p=674
You have the direct tarball file link in the firest line, and maybe different informations in this little howto.
Creator of : http://www.jaiuneidee.net a "direct democracy" website for France.
pmithrandir

Postby Max » Jul 13th, '11, 18:30

Thanks.
I'll look at it over the weekend, when I have some time.
Max

Postby Max » Jul 14th, '11, 22:13

OK.
It looks like the two binary files there are vmlinuz and initrd.usb. There's also a plaintext config file and a README (not very helpful).
So, I think we need to make vmlinuz and initrd.usb files for Mageia in order for this to work.
Unfortunately, this is a bit beyond my skillset and experience, but if somebody can point me in the right direction I'm not afraid to learn.
Max

Postby Ken-Bergen » Jul 14th, '11, 22:58

I'm having problems understanding this jumping through hoops to make a
I just do an install to the stick and of course make sure the boot loader is written to the stick.
If you use the Live iso and say no to removing unused hardware support it will boot on any hardware that supports USB booting and can run the live CD and will be fully writable both for / and /home.

I do use a non journaling file system and of course no swap.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Return to General discussions about Mageia