IsoDumper now available

You'll find there general news and announcements about forums and Mageia

IsoDumper now available

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 29th, '13, 16:41

Posting this announcement on behalf of Papoteur, our new documentation team deputy.

IsoDumper is a tool for writing ISO images on an USB stick. Iso images are for example provided by Mageia.org to install the Linux distribution.
Here is an extract of the wiki page https://wiki.mageia.org/en/IsoDumper_Writing_ISO_images_on_USB_sticks

You are supposed to have first downloaded the ISO image on your system. You must select a USB stick with a size bigger that the image size.

The tool will check something before writing:
  • the partition of the USB device is unmounted
  • the size of the ISO should be smaller than the size of the stick
  • if the size of the stick is greater than 32 Go, a warning asks to confirm that this is the good device

Installation
Isodumper is available in Mageia starting with Mageia 4. You can install it through the Mageia Control Center, or in commandline with:
Code: Select all
urpmi isodumper

For previous version 2 and 3, you can find a rpm on Mageialinux-online.org

Mageia 3

Mageia 2

The sources are on GitHub
This tool is a fork of usb-imagewriter from Ubuntu.

Papoteur
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: IsoDumper now available

Postby dwhite » Dec 9th, '13, 14:55

Used it put M3 on two 5gig flash drives I bought specially. Though I notice that when I connect them to my M3 box they aren't seen.
Now I've assembled a GA 320M-H AMD Chip and an ASUS Geforce GT 710
dwhite

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 9th, '13, 15:03

It's irrelevant if you can see the content when connecting it to a running system, but were you able to boot/install from those flash drives successfully?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby dwhite » Dec 9th, '13, 19:17

You can see the stick's contents in other editions of Mageia and I suppose other OS's (helpful to install the right OS I envisage an occasion when you might lend out the stick, I've got two identical no telling what my friends have got.)

I wonder if this program could be used to load a SD card for a Raspberry PI?
dwhite

Postby Latte » Dec 9th, '13, 19:26

dwhite wrote:You can see the stick's contents in other editions of Mageia and I suppose other OS's

Did you looked at it in KDE? We found at bug in KDE that it shows no sticks where the iso is written with dd on it. Maybe it an related issue?
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=317532#c2
Latte

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 9th, '13, 20:31

dwhite wrote:You can see the stick's contents in other editions of Mageia and I suppose other OS's (helpful to install the right OS I envisage an occasion when you might lend out the stick, I've got two identical no telling what my friends have got.)

Why not simply use md5sum for that? That way you know if the contents of the stick is identical, not by simply looking at the directory structure with a file manager.

dwhite wrote:I wonder if this program could be used to load a SD card for a Raspberry PI?

You can use this program to write any image to any flash drive - the same as with any other program that's similar to dd.
----
doktor5000

Postby dwhite » Dec 15th, '13, 13:18

The Raspberry Pi OS's are all Zipped assuming wrongly that everyone has access to a Windows Box. Command line is all well and good but when what you actually type is different from what you want to type in random ways.

I tried using iso dumper to put a Raspberry OS on an SD but it erred saying first no flash stick then it said, File format fault, Isodumper is exactly what it says an app that puts an iso on a pen drive and checks that that is exactly what you are doing!
dwhite

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 15th, '13, 16:22

dwhite wrote:The Raspberry Pi OS's are all Zipped assuming wrongly that everyone has access to a Windows Box. Command line is all well and good but when what you actually type is different from what you want to type in random ways.

Why can't you do the same under Mageia? Why do you want to use command line to extract a .zip archive, why not simply use a file manager, right-click -> extract here. Or use a frontend like ark, file-roller, xarchiver or the like?
----
doktor5000

Postby Symbioxy » Dec 16th, '13, 10:01

I wonder if this program could be used to load a SD card for a Raspberry PI?

Hi,
I would enjoy installing Mageia on a raspberry too, but remember that a raspberry has an ARM processor, and 586 or x64 version of Mageia are not compatible, to my knowledge.
Some leads I have not followed yet:
http://blog.mageia.org/en/2011/06/23/arm-port-preview/
Symbioxy

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 16th, '13, 17:35

Please keep the Raspberry Pi discussion in a separate thread, like one of those:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3461
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6130
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4077
----
doktor5000

Postby andrew-lohmann » Jan 15th, '14, 12:55

After trying a number of Windows .iso to USB tools it was openSUSE ImageWriter that worked. The ones for creating LiveCD's perhaps with Persistance and a vitrual machine (eg Virtual Box) did not work.

openSUSE is not that good though when a USB stick (62GB) has been used in this way previously, or for an installation of another linux, because the partition/format or MBR (I guess) on the memory stick are left in a state that openSUSE can not find the memory stick.

Pendrive seems to be able to use the memory stick but at completetion does not work for Mageia.

In conclusion there is a need for something better for windows. (Windows XP) Perhaps a version isoDumper for Windows with partition tool to restore a USB stick to FAT32 or exFAT32 if it is bigger the 4GB.
Last edited by andrew-lohmann on Jan 15th, '14, 18:52, edited 3 times in total.
PC I use as a desktop at home;
IBM xSeries 206m - Server with IDE (Linux) drive and SATA (Windows) drive, 64 Bit processor and 1GB of DRAM.
There is a BIOS warning at start up associated with the PCI soundcard.
Linux; Mageia 4 & Windows XP
andrew-lohmann

Postby dwhite » Jan 15th, '14, 14:59

Isodumper is not perfect but it is good, Hybrid iso's aren't universal among Linux disto's either. There is a bug in the Mageia ISO but it could be in Ispdumper or Mageia, it boots fine but writes it onto the sources list as a DVD and so as the source isn't a DVD it's a thumb drive media it fails. Whatever program looks at the list of sources be it drakupdate or drakinstall should look at all the media be it a DVD, thumb stick, SD or whatever.
dwhite

Postby papoteur » Feb 26th, '14, 21:59

dwhite wrote:I wonder if this program could be used to load a SD card for a Raspberry PI?

Hello,
This type of feature has not been yet provided with Isodumper. I think that it could be the case, but I need some help to do this.
Actually, IsoDumper looks for USB devices. I think that SD card are not listed as USB devices and thus is not found.

For Windows, I have examined mandriva seed, but there is a problem with Windows 7 which denies access to the device.
Papoteur
papoteur

Postby lufer » Mar 24th, '14, 05:33

is not available for Mageia 3 64bit. :cry:
lufer

Postby jkerr82508 » Mar 24th, '14, 06:22

It is a noarch package and so you should be able to use the package linked to for i586.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby lufer » Mar 24th, '14, 19:14

i can't find noarch package, were i can get it?

Thanks!
lufer

Postby jkerr82508 » Mar 24th, '14, 19:33

jkerr82508

Postby lufer » Mar 24th, '14, 21:33

thank you it's installed and working now!!
lufer

Postby bots4ever » May 24th, '14, 03:17

Hi guys,

This might be a silly question but can isodump dump Windows ISOs to USB? If not is there any tool in Mageia 4 that can do that? If this is not an appropriate question, I will create a separate thread.

Thanks in advance.
Lew
bots4ever

Postby doktor5000 » May 24th, '14, 11:00

It doesn't matter to isodumper what image you write with it.
----
doktor5000

Postby bots4ever » May 25th, '14, 03:58

Thanks doktor5000
bots4ever

Postby aguador » Jun 27th, '14, 23:45

Great to have the tool in Mageia, but like its Ubuntu cousin and Unetbootin (Linux) I cannot find a way to load images from an external USB HD. Windows-based tools, including Unetbootin, permit this. Is there any way it might be added to Isodumper?
aguador

Postby Ken-Bergen » Jun 28th, '14, 02:37

aguador wrote:Is there any way it might be added to Isodumper?
There's nothing to add.
Just mount the media with the iso file on it then in isodumper browse to the mount point, select the iso you want, then the target media and write the image.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby aguador » Jun 28th, '14, 10:34

Thanks, Ken, but I have had the HD mounted and it does not show in Isodumper's "select an image" window (while quite visible to Dolphin). All that shows as possible locations are: file system, desktop, root, and the two NTFS partitions on the internal HD -- and search only looks in those areas. I should have specified that I am working with the KDE desktop with the "default" that shows no drives or folders -- and indeed in Isodumper nothing shows as being present if I click on "desktop."

I know that other DEs typically show mounted drives on the desktop, so I tried changing the desktop setting and mounting the drive. Still no dice. Is this a settings problem or some other stupidity on my part?
aguador

Postby papoteur » Jun 28th, '14, 11:52

Isodumper is a GTK application, which uses the "Open" widget as provided by GTK. The navigation in this dialog widget should permit to access to whatever is available to the user.
if no specific entry is available in the widget or Desktop, the mount point for a removable device is in /run/media/<user-name>/<device-name>
You should find it here.
papoteur

Next

Return to News and announcements