[SOLVED] Suspend & resume after closing laptop lid

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED] Suspend & resume after closing laptop lid

Postby kateto » Nov 13th, '13, 01:20

Hi all! I need help!
Basically, my problem is that I can't close my laptop's lid without it going into sleep mode. Well, actually the problem is that when I open the lid, it can't resume. The led turns on, and I can hear the fans, but the screen stays pitch black, with no backlight whatsoever, so I have to power it off by hard pressing the power button, and boot again. I now it's not an X problem, because I can't even open a virtual terminal.

So, I need a hand to understand how Mageia suspends and resumes, in order to start debugging the process, and additionally I need to know how to customize power options in LXDE so that I can tell my laptop to hibernate rather than suspend when I close the lid (yes, I don't intend to install KDE or Gnome just to fix this).
As for the latter, I'd like to know how my laptop 'knows' that the lid is closed, because this doesn't seem to generate any ACPI event that I can detect with acpi_listen (whereas plugging the power adapter does generate an event, so that I could create a script for it and put it in /etc/acpi/actions.

Finally, I'd like to know whether anybody can recommend Tux-on-ice to fix this kind of problems, and whether it is in the repos.

I'm running Mageia 3 on a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6024.

Postdata: After the borked resume, I've found these lines in /var/log/syslog, in case it's relevant:
Code: Select all
Nov 11 09:49:43 localhost systemd[1]: Starting Sleep.
Nov 11 09:49:43 localhost systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
Nov 11 09:49:43 localhost systemd[1]: Starting Suspend...
kateto

Re: Suspend & resume after closing laptop lid

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 13th, '13, 21:48

You probably should read about systemd/logind and Inhibitors. If the desktop environment has not been updated for systemd, you need to fiddle with /etc/systemd/logind.conf and the Inhibitor config options.

A simple google search shows those results:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5139
http://nottooamused.wordpress.com/2012/ ... is-closed/
http://blog.mjfox.ch/lxde-arch-and-shut ... aptop-lid/
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

[SOLVED] Re: Suspend & resume after closing laptop lid

Postby kateto » Nov 14th, '13, 12:33

Thanks, that's exactly what I did and it worked!
I also added "LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=no" just in case. It works just the same.
I'll mark this topic "Solved" and open another to debug the suspend process itself.
kateto

Return to Advanced support