Mageia Rolling Release please

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Re: Mageia Rolling Release please

Postby wobo » May 29th, '12, 10:36

Well, you don't seem to understand:
Some of us (me included) would be happy with a rolling release, it IS a good thing, it HAS several advantages. So far we agree to each other. But what are all these advantages worth if you have to run a risk having them? Trying a rolling release with the current ressources IS a risk. "No risk no fun" does not apply to a Linux distribution as we understand it. So please understand that we agree to you but it's just not possible in the current situation, no matter how many more advantages you describe.

I think the reasons against a rolling release at this moment in time have been described many times. They are not technical reasons but just the current limitations of our ressources, something which can only be changed by a lot of new contributors coming in.

So, until this happens, could we leave this topic as WONTFIX for the time being, pls.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby msdobrescu » May 29th, '12, 10:45

Of course, sorry to spam you all. I just don't agree to the opinion <that unstable = RR> (strictly technically).
I understand the risk of lacking manpower. I do not debate that.
I just need to understand why testing on parts means more work than testing everything.
At least, I would like to have some major KDE version between releases - without using the Cauldron version.
Some teams like MIB would be good yo be attracted to Mageia support for this matter...
msdobrescu

Postby wobo » May 29th, '12, 11:07

msdobrescu wrote:Some teams like MIB would be good yo be attracted to Mageia support for this matter...

Yes, there are some 3rd party repos out there and you can use them any time, it's your free decision. But as they are not part of the Mageia QA process you ar eon your own there. As for MIB I doubt they will be too enthousiastic to join Mageia. :) They are doing their own thing and I will not comment on what they are doing (my position about MIB is going back a long time without change and is not related to being a Mageia user).
wobo
---
wobo

Postby msdobrescu » May 29th, '12, 11:14

Sorry to hear that about them :D
Anyway, I feel that forking Mageia is a good step, and I hope you make it more and more user friendly.
You've not saved your work only, but an important part of Mandriva community.
Keep up the good work! ;)
msdobrescu

Postby wobo » May 29th, '12, 11:19

msdobrescu wrote:Sorry to hear that about them :D
Pls mind that this is my personal position, not an official position of anybody but me.

forking Mageia
it's "forking Mandriva"! But anybody is free to fork Mageia and make it a Rolling Release! :)
wobo
---
wobo

Postby msdobrescu » May 29th, '12, 11:54

Sorry, I was too short. But you understood.
I am curious, why do you have such opinion on MIB...
msdobrescu

Postby wobo » May 29th, '12, 12:29

Built on several occasions, discussions, etc. in Mandriva cooker list and forum, also on MandrivaUser.de, over several years. As I said, it's my own opinion, not intended to influence any other's opinion. This is not the place to wash any laundry.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby ghmitch » May 29th, '12, 17:35

msdobrescu wrote:Sorry, I was too short. But you understood.
I am curious, why do you have such opinion on MIB...

And I am curious as to what attracts you to Mageia as it would seem to me that a Mandriva/Mib combination would be more suited to your tastes. I have combined Mandriva/Mib before and it is about as close as you can get to a rolling release. You have also been singing the praises of Sabayon. And yet you seem very attached to Mageia for some reason. Have you ever considered that the very thing that is attracting you to Mageia might be because it does NOT do business like Mandriva/Mib or Sabayon? It is not like any one of us would be offended if you were to drop Mageia and use either of the other two. Could it be that you simply want to have your cake and eat it too? Many of us are using Mageia because Mandriva/Mib or Sabayon does NOT fit our needs. Why waste all the time trying to evangelize us on this subject? - George
ghmitch

Postby doktor5000 » May 29th, '12, 18:00

@msdobrescu: As you mentioned thorough testing multiple times, why don't you join QA team and help them out so there will be more resources? https://wiki.mageia.org/en/QA_Team
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby msdobrescu » May 30th, '12, 05:36

Thank you, I honored.
Unfortunately, my current job (software developer) is under a contract that forbids me to offer my services in the same field (IT) - under a penalty of 10000$.
I'va always feel that I would be happy to join and help open software.
I will post any issues I find, anyway, this being legal to my contract terms, as a regular user.
If something changes, I will apply.

Thank you again.
msdobrescu

Postby wobo » May 30th, '12, 09:27

msdobrescu wrote:Thank you, I honored.
Unfortunately, my current job (software developer) is under a contract that forbids me to offer my services in the same field (IT) - under a penalty of 10000$.

Check your contract again. I doubt that its constraints cover helping in a non-commercial not-for-profit environment as voluntary unpaid contributor. If so you should leave the forum because discussing and helping here is just the same. Being in the QA team is not a job in another IT company.

Of course nobody want you to do something you are not allowed to.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby ring » Dec 28th, '12, 19:39

What you can do just more an Semi-rolling release.., its not like ubuntu or Arch bit like LMDE, but not like that! Lmde is not maintained..... A stable base and backporting works perfect.... if you have a group of testers you can update on a low tempo mayby ones of half year a big update.... not that you will have a update of 300mb each month? for new users is that also not good..., bringing versions like ubuntu is also not good... a seli-rolling release based on a cycle is also fine :D Lets say you will have a LTS release but when a new version comes just rolls into a new version...... or you must work with to versions a lts version but its not good for the regresion.... too much work to maintain 2 different distro´s... a half year development as Ubuntu is even not good.... or just ones each year a new version , but through year just regular updates not on huge parts but needeble parts..... but even that you rolls just into the new version... LMDE if you see a update is 900mb is just a new download :)
ring

Postby oj » Dec 29th, '12, 16:04

I agree it's worth looking into, he may be able to contribute to open source. But maybe not. Depending on jurisdiction and the wishes of the employer it may be that they want to own every line of code he touches. The US is the worst in this respect, laws allow contracts no rational person would enter into, except for the fact they need to feed themselves.

But @msdobrescu, please do check with your legal dept. Note that there are a lot of companies that see benefit in paying their workers to do some of their work on open source. Intel, Microsoft, IBM and the like all pay people to do "free" work. You might want to look into what it is that they see as a benefit. It might fit your employer's operation as well.

wobo wrote:
msdobrescu wrote:Thank you, I honored.

Check your contract again. I doubt that its constraints cover helping in a non-commercial not-for-profit environment as voluntary unpaid contributor. If so you should leave the forum because discussing and helping here is just the same. Being in the QA team is not a job in another IT company.

Of course nobody want you to do something you are not allowed to.
oj

Postby msdobrescu » Jan 8th, '13, 08:45

The idea is not to offer my services in this field. It's not about money, It's about avoiding coming tired at work.
msdobrescu

Postby pelpix » Jul 3rd, '13, 18:54

If we can't have a true rolling release for the public, would it be possible to have perpetual cauldron for developers to test their programs against the newest packages? I haven't followed Mageia for long, so I don't know how it works. Does Cauldron ever shut down, or does it just keep going and going?

Mageia definitely deserves more developers. I'm hoping the big tier 1 mirror on kernel.org and the #3 spot on DistroWatch helps. As soon as I finish learning C, I plan to contribute as much as I can.
pelpix

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 3rd, '13, 21:00

Cauldron is actually a rolling release, only frozen shortly before new stable releases are prepared.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby prodromos » Jul 22nd, '18, 15:04

I readed this topic, and i think there is some phobia about this proposal, but if we do not give an incentive to bring new people to help with this effort, i think we are doomed to fail, let me write my opinion about this topic.

I have some concern about the mageia release future, the last stable had released one year ago, and for the next we didn't had any information about the date released. The only information for the future we have they are the 6.1, one years after the last stable is likely to be released soon. And after, the will be starting the preparation about the mageia 7, according to the wiki.

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_7_Development

I am using mate desktop for mageia 6 i have mate 1.18, mate 1.20 released on February 7, 2018 five months ago, and if i want to use the new packages for the mate, will be waiting many months still, for will release mageia 7. I think one of the problem, big for me, for this distro, they don't have aggressive policy for this things or some alternative solution for whichever want fresh packages but with relative safety, cauldron don't make this because is very unstable in my opinion.

The example opensuse with the tumbleweed, or linuxmint based of the debian (lmde), to make every, two month one big update with all the packages, a situation semi-rolling, for me is very good idea

I don't have any problem with the (fixed) philosophy, as long as the timetable is kept for every released date, otherwise it is advisable to give anyone who wants an alternative solution,

If we are wanting to return to freshness the had when the started, it is necessary to will make one big step in front.
prodromos

Postby intika » Apr 7th, '19, 21:10

Current system is great and had made its proof this must be kept, now integrating a rolling release could be as simple as removing the "version number" from mageia releases

Suggestion 1: a simple rolling system :
1. Keep every thing as it is (mainly claudron > stable)
2. Remove versioning system from stable release (make it rolling)
3. Distribute a new iso every year (already the case)

Advantages:
1. Gain time and man power (no more scheduled version)
2. Less to do (as the system will mainly become [claudron > stable])
3. Small changes required to get things going as rolling
4. etc.

Technical details:
For update requiring a lot of packages things will just be done like the last mageia update (6.1 and the major big update before 6.1)

Suggestion 2: Alternative rolling release:
Add a new rolling repo that sit between claudron and stable

Suggestion 3: Alternative rolling release:
An rpm package that would automate migration from 6 to 7...

Conclusion:
Mageia is already a (mega stable) rolling release it just have a new version sticker every year or so; the devs have the hassle creating that sticker and the users have the hassle to reinstall/upgrade their system, why not just get rid of the hassle of that version-sticker ?!
Last edited by intika on Apr 14th, '19, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
intika

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 8th, '19, 00:07

intika wrote:the users have the hassle to reinstall their system, why not just get rid of the hassle of that version-sticker ?!

Why do you assume users have to reinstall their system ?
----
doktor5000

Postby benmc » Apr 8th, '19, 22:18

intika wrote:the users have the hassle to reinstall their system

Mageia users have the option to

1/ re-install the system when a new set of .isos arrive. they can use the Live or the Classic installer to do this.

2/ if they have an existing separate /home partition, they can use the Classic Installer to over-write their / partition.
this will keep any personal tweaks to the desktop and user data will still be available ( you did remember to backup, didn't you!).

3/ Use the Classic Installer .iso to upgrade their entire system. however, due to size limitations, not all possible packages are included in the Classical Installer, so, after a reboot to the new kernel and desktop, after a few minutes minutes, the updater icon in the tray will popup to advise "new updates available". upgrade will continue.

4/ just wait until the "upgrade to your system" notifier appears in your system tray. this usually appears within a few days of the stable .isos being released. It takes a few days as not all mirrors sync at the same time, so it takes a while to propagate. you can then click on the icon, follow the prompts and
a/ continue to work with your system as the upgrade occurs. some application may no longer launch though.
b/ go to bed and wake up to a system wanting a reboot. do so and login to your new system.
c/ go out and party / dine / movie / etc... ( your choice), then when you get back home, reboot into your new system. this does of course depend on data rates from your internet provider, but a couple of hours usually seems to do it.

#3 is one of the many tests that Mageia QA carry out prior to the release of Mageia Final.

I have several systems that started out as Mageia-3 and are now either Mageia-6 (or Mageia-7), no re-install has been necessary
benmc

Postby intika » Apr 14th, '19, 16:45

what i meant by reinstall the system is "upgrade" the system, I know there are a lot of ways to move to the next version... the point here is simple "upgrade could be as easy as usual updates" but i guess that it's already the case at some point.
intika

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 16th, '19, 18:55

intika wrote:the point here is simple "upgrade could be as easy as usual updates" but i guess that it's already the case at some point.

That's what we have in place with mgaonline/mgaapplet, so I don't understand what should be missing?
Check https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_6_Rel ... _.28GUI.29

FWIW, for mga6 I believe it was suspended shortly after release for some time as there were some issues with upgrading complex installations, but it was enabled again once those issues were sorted out.
----
doktor5000

Postby intika » Apr 19th, '19, 22:40

doktor5000 wrote:FWIW, for mga6 I believe it was suspended

Why was it suspended ? Does normal updates get suspended for years ? updates will always be a lot easier than upgrades
intika

Postby benmc » Apr 20th, '19, 03:26

the upgrade applet indicator was suspended for a period after final release while the KDE4 to Plasma5 upgrade process was perfected.
This was not helped by KDE /plasma5 releasing upgrades to itself, moving from a reasonably stable to much more stable platform. this is still continuing.
When it was determined that the upgrade would not break existing installs (within the capabilities of QA Testing) the upgrade suspension via applet indicator was reversed.
Users during the applet suspended period could still upgrade via changing their mirror sources and upgrade *at their own risk* .

updates for Mageia5 were not suspended, in fact, Mageia5 continued to receive security updates for several months after EOS.
Mageia is aware that not all users were able to upgrade their systems in the timeframe required, so meltdown and spectre mitigation security updates were released also for those systems.
Mageia has no way of knowing how many Mageia5 systems accepted post EOS updates.
benmc

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 22nd, '19, 01:40

intika wrote:Why was it suspended ? Does normal updates get suspended for years ? updates will always be a lot easier than upgrades

I've mentioned why it was suspended temporarily. But not for years, not sure what you are referring to.
----
doktor5000

Previous

Return to General discussions about Mageia