How long will Mageia 1 be supported?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Postby rhtopics » Jun 5th, '11, 17:55

I have looked around some but could not find the number of months Mageia 1 is scheduled to be supported?
rhtopics

Re: How long will Mageia 1 be supported?

Postby maat » Jun 6th, '11, 09:04

Hum very good question... i don't know yet the answer but i'll forward it to devs and packagers...
maat

Postby jmjlinux586 » Jun 6th, '11, 09:11

Hello,
I have a question to go along with rhtopics question
I have looked around some but could not find the number of months Mageia 1 is scheduled to be supported?

Is this a rolling release or a new version every so often release???
jmjlinux586

Postby maat » Jun 6th, '11, 09:41

This i can answer :) : Mageia 1 is not a rolling release.

If you want to know more about "why", the question has been discussed :

here : https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia ... 01968.html
and here : https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia ... 00555.html (very long debate)

Cauldron (permanent development version) has some elements of resemblance with rolling versions... but well it's essentially in development status so using it brings the risk of having things broken from time to time when packagers push big changes...
maat

Postby maat » Jun 6th, '11, 14:22

You have also this topic about rolling release debate : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23
maat

Postby gotang » Jun 6th, '11, 15:31

maat wrote:This i can answer :) : Mageia 1 is not a rolling release.

Is this an "official" stance on the general Mageia release cycle then? By which I mean, will Mageia 2 and all subsequent future releases all be static releases, with Cauldron running alongside as a rolling release (as per the Mandriva 20xx.x/Cooker style)?

If this decision has actually been taken, I think it really needs to be published somewhere on the main website. The uncertainty regarding release cycle is now the only thing preventing me moving to Mageia as my main distro, as I personally really do not want a rolling release (which is just a personal preference - I don't want to reopen the massive debate about release cycles here!).
gotang

Postby andre999 » Jun 7th, '11, 08:35

Yes, as maat has said, Mageia releases are officially NOT rolling releases.
Like Mandriva, of which Mageia is a fork. Changes from Mandriva policies are much debated on the lists before coming into effect.
This has been extensively discussed on the lists, and we agreed to keep static releases.

As maat said, Cauldron has elements of a rolling release, necessary for development. Much as with Mandriva Cooker.

So you can safely move to Mageia.

By the way, from reports on the lists, Mageia 1 seems already to be at least as stable as Mandriva. At least for most users.
andre999

Postby juergen_harms » Jun 7th, '11, 17:18

With all the competent opinions of users expressed: the question remains.

More important than the questions of established users: intelligent potentiial users will keep asking that question as a base of their decision to "go Mageia" - and Mageia certainly wants to attract new users. - is it so complicated to give a reply?

I have pains to push pack associations with Mandriva souvenirs, users speculating about what Mandriva might do and Mandriva doing an act of keeping silent - the response in a community distro should be different !!!
juergen_harms

Return to Basic support