Mageia names please?

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Mageia names please?

Postby Max » Apr 4th, '11, 09:52

I understand the desire to want to "name" versions in ascending numbers, (Mageia 1, Mageia 2...) sometimes including something about the release times (Mandriva 2010, Mandriva 2010.1...). It makes a lot of sense and avoids much confusion.
But you've got to admit that such version names don't exactly roll off the tongue, and don't sound very appealing.
Two of the most popular distributions use (in addition to standard version numbers) a naming scheme, Ubuntu and Debian.
So I ask myself, and the Mageia community, why not us too? Here we are starting out from scratch, let's have a naming scheme! (In addition to version numbers).
I've given it a lot of thought, and one idea that I had would be to name versions after famous scientists or great thinkers. It's sort of cute, and funny, and geeky.
I mean, we say it's magic and all that, but we all know that it's really science.
Here's a partial list that I've come up with:
Aristotle, Bernoulli, Copernicus, DeMoivre, Einstein, Fermat, Galileo, Higgs, Ivanovsky, Joule, Kepler, L'Hopital, <M>, Newton, Oppenheimer....

It's just a thought.
Ubuntu Natty Narwhal ( 11.04) sounds exciting. Why not Mageia Aristotle (1)?
Max

Re: Mageia names please?

Postby wobo » Apr 4th, '11, 10:29

Yes, may be it sounds nice to say "I just installed "Greedy Galileo" instead of "Mageia 3". But think future: Someone comes by and tells you that he has a version of Mageia, called "Helpful Higgs" - would you know at once whether it was Mageia 3 or 6 or 2?
Having version numbers instead of names has a reason. Ask Ubuntu users about when they started with Ubuntu - most of them will say the version number because nobody remembers the names, except for a distro which changes version as seldom as Debian.

Mandriva Linux used code names like Traktopel and Bamboo - do you remember which version that was and which of those came first?
(A: Traktopel = 8.0, Bamboo = 9.1)
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby Max » Apr 4th, '11, 12:53

I didn't say names instead of version numbers, but in addition to.
Also, by starting at 1 and going alphabetically you will instantly know that Higgs is Mageia 8.
I'm not sure about adding an adjective to the name, more just the name...
Max

Postby jkerr82508 » Apr 4th, '11, 14:39

As with Mandriva, each release (including pre-releases) has a name. For example Mageia 1, Alpha 2 is Primavera:

http://blog.mageia.org/en/2011/03/15/ma ... is-coming/

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby wobo » Apr 4th, '11, 14:57

Max wrote:I didn't say names instead of version numbers, but in addition to.
Also, by starting at 1 and going alphabetically you will instantly know that Higgs is Mageia 8.

Ok, nice, this system is also used to name meteorological stuff like high/low pressure zones and hurricanes. :)
But it's already spoiled by the naming of Alpha2 (Primavery). :(

Anyhow, as long as there is a logical versioning by number or date, there can be any additional code names, no objections. :)
wobo
---
wobo

Postby Max » Apr 4th, '11, 23:11

wobo wrote:But it's already spoiled by the naming of Alpha2 (Primavery). :(

Anyhow, as long as there is a logical versioning by number or date, there can be any additional code names, no objections. :)

Maybe the Alphas will have a different naming scheme, like Sid...
And isn't Primevera a kind of pasta sauce?
Max

Postby isadora » Apr 4th, '11, 23:15

Max wrote:
wobo wrote:But it's already spoiled by the naming of Alpha2 (Primavery). :(

Maybe the Alphas will have a different naming scheme, like Sid...
And isn't Primevera a kind of pasta sauce?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby jiba » Apr 5th, '11, 00:23

An interresting possibility would be to use names that "include" the version number. For instance :

Mageia 1 would be named "One"derful (or 1derful)
Mageia 2 could be named "Two"nship (or 2nship)
Mageia 3 could be named "Three"ton (or 3ton)
etc...

As not being good at English, these puns should be taken cautiously... Although non-English could also be used, for example French one in memory of the French origin of Mageia / Mandriva / Mandrake... Mageia 4 "petit-4" anyone ? :-D
jiba

Postby tolstoyswe » Apr 5th, '11, 11:48

Well since Mageia means "magic" I think that a magican name like "Mageia - Gandalf" or some other magicans name will work.
tolstoyswe

Postby Max » Apr 5th, '11, 19:42

tolstoyswe wrote:Well since Mageia means "magic" I think that a magican name like "Mageia - Gandalf" or some other magicans name will work.

I thought about that, but I can't name more than a scarce handful of magicians.
That's when I thought about math/science. Because it's ironic and funny!
Max

Postby dave » Apr 5th, '11, 19:49

tolstoyswe wrote:Well since Mageia means "magic" I think that a magican name like "Mageia - Gandalf" or some other magicans name will work.

This is not a bad idea but how many magicans you know? XD
dave

Postby zack » Apr 5th, '11, 22:44

Harry, Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, Albus, Severus, Sirius, etc (could find a big serie there).
Gandalf, Saruman... but could use other mythical and magic character of tolkien, Simaril's Valars or example (but could be elves also) :
Manwe, Ulmo, Aule, Orome, Mandos, Lorien, Tulkas, etc

I like very much the idea to construct a "universe" or "identity". So continue with magic things...
zack

Postby Max » Apr 6th, '11, 08:53

I like the idea of taking names from Tolkein's universe better than Rowling's.
Max

Postby zack » Apr 6th, '11, 09:00

Ok, use Harry Potter, or Tolkien characters is cool. But perhaps there is a pb with trademark ? Remind me something...

Another idea, if cauldron is branch dvpt, a cauldron freeze could be ... a potion (or a spell).
To recall code name in regard to version, we could use alphabetic memo technic : beginnning by A version 1, by B version 2, etc.
- Ageacceleratorix Potion (Or Abacadrabra)
- Blindiness Sirup
- Cattransformus
-etc, not easy for non english...

Another idea, every version add an ingrdedient to the final cauldron potion, (so we recall the versions because of the ritornello (ritournelle in french), litany, like a child "nursery rhyme" (comptine) ) :
1 "frog leg"
2 "snake's poison drops"
3 "spider webs"
4 "moonlight rays"
5 "virgin's tears"
etc

Stupid examples, no talent (do not use !), just to explain the idea

Could work ?
zack

Postby tallship » Apr 6th, '11, 11:51

Max wrote:I like the idea of taking names from Tolkein's universe better than Rowling's.

Or actual history, where there are actually a plethora of household names to choose from ;)

Kindest regards,

Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services
http://NorthTech.EU
Registered Linux User #190795

- "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.
tallship

Location: On the Beaches of Super Sunny Southern California USA

Postby tolstoyswe » Apr 6th, '11, 12:42

Hmm, Ok.
But I still think my ide is the best "no offence :) and naturally we can use both Tolkien and Rowlings as long as it is a magican name maby some other writers too.

Spells aint a bad idea, we can create our own spellnames from a-z, Ex: Mageia - Thunderball for the t-letter Its just about letting the fantasy flow :D

/
Thomas
tolstoyswe

Postby Max » Apr 6th, '11, 16:02

tallship wrote:
Max wrote:I like the idea of taking names from Tolkein's universe better than Rowling's.

Or actual history, where there are actually a plethora of household names to choose from ;)

Yeah, that's where I started from. But people seem to want it to be more magical than that.
Max

Postby PietroTux88 » Apr 7th, '11, 00:09

i have name for MAGEIA 2 is The Magician this is cool name for mageia 2 second version
Eat a piece of bread and after you're gone suddenly become a skeleton
PietroTux88

Postby tolstoyswe » Apr 7th, '11, 12:49

Tolkienś universe, using names from all of it sounds perfect to me too :) Its not that important to hang on to wizards names only. And most people know about Tolkiens world (I hope) :D Great idea go for it!
tolstoyswe

Postby wobo » Apr 7th, '11, 13:12

tolstoyswe wrote:And most people know about Tolkiens world (I hope) :D

In many countries Tolkien is not as popular as in the anglophonic world. As a German child I never heard about him until as a student I had him on the read list in English literature. Depends on the cultural environment.

Although zillions of people around the world have seen the Ring movies, I bet they have never heard about the Silmarillon or the other works of Tolkien. Besides, I also bet that the larger part of those zillions have never read the books, only watched the films as great adventure films (lately a guy said he does not care about all that magic stuff, he likes the films because of the battle scenes, for him it's yet another action movie).
wobo
---
wobo

Postby Max » Jun 5th, '11, 08:17

So where do we stand today? We keep calling it Mageia 1 and that sounds dry and tasteless.

I decided to call the Mageia installed on my laptop Aristotle.
Max

Postby rc2011 » Jun 5th, '11, 09:43

Ok here is my list.

Mageia 1 (already out, no sense in naming it in my opinion.)
Mageia 2, Hartnell Edition
Mageia 3, Troughton Edition
Mageia 4, Pertwee Edition
Mageia 5, TBaker Edition
Mageia 6, Davison Edition
Mageia 7, CBaker Edition
Mageia 8, McCoy Edition
Mageia 9, McGann Edition
Mageia 10, Eccleston Edition
Mageia 11, Tennant Edition
Mageia 12, Smith Edition

After these names another 11 can be created. Or these names could be doctored up and used again :mrgreen:
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals, dying of nothing.
rc2011

Postby Gelsenbury » Jun 5th, '11, 13:13

Honestly, I can't see what the discussion is about. As posted here before, Mageia 1 alpha is called Primavera among the developers. For Mageia 1, I have seen the word "Finale" somewhere on the site. But officially, it remains Mageia 1. I quite liked Mandriva's system of naming the vintage (so Mageia 1 would be Mageia 2011), but that's the way it is. And if you want to call your own installation Aristotle, Gandalf or Bob, you can.
Gelsenbury

Postby Max » Jun 5th, '11, 15:46

Gelsenbury wrote:And if you want to call your own installation Aristotle, Gandalf or Bob, you can.

I did :mrgreen:
Max

Postby dubigrasu » Jun 5th, '11, 15:51

I like Max's idea very much, although I would go with magicians/magic related names.
dubigrasu

Next

Return to General discussions about Mageia