[SOLVED] mageia information (wikipedia)

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

[SOLVED] mageia information (wikipedia)

Postby neocapricornman » May 16th, '12, 16:02

Hello everyone.
i do not wish to be rude or disrespectful of anyone or to anyone.
I am disappointed though by the actions taken by another person recently.
A little about myself.
not much to say.
I am as new/green as they come to linux.
I have been dabbling with various distros of Linux trying to find one that I can understand and that I like.
my next concern obviously was also to use/install one that would actually work on my hardware (HP laptop)
For technicl reasons that i am not yet savvy enough to correct the only distro that actually works and that I happen to have taken a liking to has been linux mageia.
i found out about Mageia after doing some research off of various linux website including Wikipedia of all places.
it is there that i actually first found out about/heard of marriage.
I often go back to the page for various things (usually puts me on a path someplace else)
a few days ago though the wiki page that talked about mageia was deleted.
For the life of me i can not figure out a logical reason as to why this was done.
I followed the links to the deletion log and i happened upon another person out there who from what i can tell decided that the article was not to his liking so he marked it for deletion.
Again I am not a programmer or tech savvy type but come on
Just because something does not meet your expectations what give one person the right to simply wipe it out?
I count myself lucky in that i found out about mageia prior to this occur.
the artile that was deleted was not bad from what I could see. It was structured/formatted like many that talk of the various types out there
So again my question is why?
if i could I'd redo/re write the thing and figure out a way to report it so that other like myself who wish to learn linux and perhaps escape from Microsoft will be able to do so.
it bother me that a small number of "elite type" think that only they can or should decide what is good and not good and do things like that.
Hopefully maybe someone who has been around the block so to speak (with some free time) can go back and fix that.

Sorry for my rambling.
Just does not seem right to me.
neocapricornman

Re: mageia information (wikipedia)

Postby obgr_seneca » May 16th, '12, 16:20

Rant about that at wikipedia. We are in no way responsible for what they are doing.

And yes, it is a shame things like that happen and yes, it is well known, that wikipedia has some kind of strange opinions about what pages are relevant and thus may stay online and what may not.

Oliver
Linux - free choice for free people
obgr_seneca

Postby wobo » May 16th, '12, 19:29

Soon after Mageia.Org was founded the english Wikipedia showed an entry about Mageia.
Then somebody put up an entry in the German Wikipedia as well but this page was deleted right away with the comment that this new Mageia.Org was not important enough to have an entry in Wikipedia. There was a discussion but the "authority" or "PTB" or whatever could not be convinced. Later the page was inserted again.

Not everybody is happy with those "PTBs" at Wikipedia, neither in the international version nor in the German.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby macxi » May 16th, '12, 22:37

Hi,

I really like the wikipedia and I think an important source of information for everyone who wants to learn more about mageia, especially next week with the launch of Mageia 2. The link to the reasons for delete the page are in the discussion here Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Mageia.

I think the Mageia Team and the Community are showing their capacity with the release of Mageia 2, with its quality and stability. I hope these facts help show the importance of Mageia. The DistroWatch site only echoes this. In this week, at the site Distrowatch, the Mageia surpassed Fedora, only behind the Mint and Ubuntu. This subject is already being discussed here in the forum: Re: Mageia in Distrowatch Top Ten Distributions

I think it is not correct to delete the page from a distro like Mageia, what will happen with the other? (see list of linux distros list of wikipedia).

On the other hand, is possible sign up on wikipedia and ask restore the page. In the end of this page ( Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Mageia) there is an information:
    "The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the debate. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page (such as the article's talk page or in a deletion review). No further edits should be made to this page".

So, from what I understand, to restore the page, ask here first: talk page
or
If not restored, ask for the restoration of it here; Wikipedia:Deletion review

Wikipedia:Deletion review: "This page deals with the Deletion discussion process. For articles deleted via the "Proposed Deletion" ("PROD") process, or simple image undeletions, please post a request at Wikipedia:Requests for undeletion"
macxi

Postby macxi » May 17th, '12, 18:57

Hi,

In the discussion Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Mageia:

Only two votes to delete: One said: not notable enough and the other:
Delete: Not notable enough per WP:N. SL93 (talk) 23:55, 3 May 2012 (UTC)
Delete WP:GNG: "If a topic has received significant coverage in reliable sources that are independent of the subject, it is presumed to satisfy the inclusion criteria for a stand-alone article or stand-alone list." I have not been able to find significant coverage in reliable sources. Distro watch is just an entry to indicate it exists. This: http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/spo ... x-mageia-1 is good, but I couldn't find more like it. Sad when the seventh most-used Linux distro can't get good coverage. --Walter Görlitz (talk) 14:25, 9 May 2012 (UTC)

Four people voted to keep the page. They have spoken with good arguments.

Strong keep per DistroWatch information (7th most used distribution out of all the ones listed here. Wide development team. Community forums with thousands of posts. Will surely become notable - also looking at the troubles of Mandriva Linux - and notability is not temporary. Better to anticipate than to be late. Ocirne94 Tell me! 18:40, 5 May 2012 (UTC)
Keep! Wikipedia should not be a wishlist for what pointless reasons ever. Mageia existis, is a linux distribution and I'd like to get informations about it. I really don't care about rankings even if in this case mageia is ranked quiet well. It's so annoying to encounter such kind of pointless deletions on wikipedia again and again. — (talk) 23:58, 8 May 2012 (UTC)

You could use e.g. your intermediate level of German to find signigicant coverage in reliable sources. In any significant german online magazine like heise.de, golem.de or pro-linux.de you will find plenty of coverage and I am sure in other european online magazines too. Do a search on http://www.heise.de/suche/?q=mageia&sea ... &rm=search — P (talk) 03:08, 13 May 2012 (UTC)

enough reference with all these link https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia1_Press ? — (talk) 15:00, 16 May 2012 (UTC)

The decision recognizes that there is no consensus, but still decided to delete, and proposes to evaluate to reactivate the page in the future if new arguments.

The result was delete. On a pure nose count we might be in "no consensus" territory here, but delete arguments speak to sourcing (or lack thereof), always the critical consideration. Keep arguments tend to speak to popularity, which is not an inclusion criterion. It looks like this might gain enough sourcing to be sustainable someday, no prejudice to recreation if that happens. Seraphimblade Talk to me 22:52, 13 May 2012 (UTC)

The decision ignored the various links about Mageia, including those links listed in the wiki Mageia with news about Mageia, site heise and linux Journal

I would like to request the reactivation of the page, but before I suggest:

a) create a page "Mageia 2 Press" in Mageia Wiki: ( https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Category:Mageia_2 ) to list the news about Mageia 2.

b) create a page "first news about Mageia", in Mageia Wiki, to list the first news about the creation of Mageia, who were on temporary wiki.
--> Note: I already found here: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Archive:Init ... ageia_fork

Suggestions are welcome :)
macxi

Postby neocapricornman » May 18th, '12, 18:29

Well I am glad to read/hear that I am not along in my thought process,
I know the folks here really are not responsible for that sort of thing.
Just disappointed.
On an unrelated note I think this would explain why some other articles that I used to read/follow might have gone by the wayside (got folks out there who opt to delete stuff for no apparent reason)
I appreciate the feedback and am looking forward to Mageia 2
neocapricornman

Postby macxi » May 19th, '12, 01:03

neocapricornman wrote:Well I am glad to read/hear that I am not along in my thought process,
I know the folks here really are not responsible for that sort of thing.
Just disappointed.
On an unrelated note I think this would explain why some other articles that I used to read/follow might have gone by the wayside (got folks out there who opt to delete stuff for no apparent reason)
I appreciate the feedback and am looking forward to Mageia 2

Neocapricornman,

Thank you for opening this topic, I did not know that the Mageia page in english in wikipedia had been deleted. it shows that Is very important to organize the news about the Mageia.

The news about the Mageia are being organized in the Mageia wiki:

--> Initial press release on the Mageia fork

--> Launch of Mageia 1

--> Mageia 2 Press

Who has news about Mageia in internet - that is not listed on the wiki - link here, in this topic, that I'll try to add in wiki.
macxi

Postby wobo » May 19th, '12, 07:36

macxi wrote:Who has news about Mageia in internet - that is not listed on the wiki - link here, in this topic, that I'll try to add in wiki.

Several German sites are constantly reporting about Mageia
http://pro-linux.de
http://linux-community.de (online site of German print magazines LinuxUser, Linux Magazin, EasyLinux)
http://heise.de (online site of the leading Open Source media in Germany)

And then there is wikipedia/de itself with a nice page about Mageia.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby macxi » May 19th, '12, 17:36

wobo wrote:
macxi wrote:Who has news about Mageia in internet - that is not listed on the wiki - link here, in this topic, that I'll try to add in wiki.

Several German sites are constantly reporting about Mageia
http://pro-linux.de
http://linux-community.de (online site of German print magazines LinuxUser, Linux Magazin, EasyLinux)
http://heise.de (online site of the leading Open Source media in Germany)

And then there is wikipedia/de itself with a nice page about Mageia.

Wobo,
I've updated the news pages of the wiki Mageia with your suggestions (de), with other links suggested by Patricia (en), Dimitrios (el) and Pierre (fr):

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia1_Pres ... _-_Deutsch
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_Pre ... _-_Deutsch

tks
macxi

Postby wobo » May 20th, '12, 14:40

This nice of course, but you should also be aware that this does not help with the wikipedia issue because those stubborn people there do not accept any links on the Mageia sites.

The only help with Wikipedia can be to present this list of international sites talking about Mageia to them as a mere listing of URLs to prove that Mageia is soemthing the Linux world think "notable".
wobo
---
wobo

Postby macxi » May 21st, '12, 12:37

wobo wrote:This nice of course, but you should also be aware that this does not help with the wikipedia issue because those stubborn people there do not accept any links on the Mageia sites.

The only help with Wikipedia can be to present this list of international sites talking about Mageia to them as a mere listing of URLs to prove that Mageia is soemthing the Linux world think "notable".

Wobo,

Is already being edited draft in a sandbox wikipedia and piratepad, using the large quantity of news that has already Mageia.
macxi

Postby Garthhh » Jul 8th, '12, 05:15

this thread could be marked [SOLVED]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mageia
Sorry my Experience doesn't meet your Expectations, I'll try Harder in the Future
Garthhh

Postby isadora » Jul 8th, '12, 08:50

Original poster has been informed, thanks Garthhh. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to Other