Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Re: Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

Postby masinick » May 21st, '11, 17:32

Glenn wrote:Thank you Brian. Actually, I was a Mandriva / Mandrake user several years ago. Mandrake was probably one of my first distributions, after Calderra that is. Then I discovered Fedora and fell head over heals for it. Don't take that to mean that I think Fedora is better than any other distro, it is just the distro that feel most comfortable with. So far though, Mageia looks and feels pretty good. It's been working so well on the laptop that I haven't booted any other distro yet today!

Cool Glenn! If you have been around long enough to use Mandrake, and even Caldera before that, this means that you were either using old distros or you've been using Linux software since the nineties - me too. Slackware was my first, then I got copies of Red Hat 5 and 5.1, Caldera Open Linux (couple versions), Mandrake 6.5, and then Caldera Open Linux eDesktop 2.4, which was the first distribution I got going when I finally got a broadband network. But once I had broadband, that opened the door to start using a lot more distributions, especially after I started burning ISO images on my own. In the earliest days, I bought books with CDs, then I found a few inexpensive CD houses that would mail CDs for under $10. It was the CD/RW drive and the broadband access that really opened up the doors of change. Then I learned how to multi-boot, and once distributions started offering GRUB, that made managing the boot loader easier, and then I really took off with distro testing, hitting a record of 13 distros on one system (til they started getting bigger and needing more space per partition, then I got down in the 7-8 range per system, which is where I keep it today). So I am a distro testing junkie! :-)
Brian Masinick
masinick

Postby isadora » May 21st, '11, 17:51

100 Replies in this topic already.
That is good news.

A very warm welcome to all newcomers.
It's good to see so many motivated people around.

The countdown has started onward to our first Official, June 1st.

We hope and expect you are having great times around with the forum and Mageia!!!
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby masinick » May 21st, '11, 18:04

isadora wrote:100 Replies in this topic already.
That is good news.

A very warm welcome to all newcomers.
It's good to see so many motivated people around.

The countdown has started onward to our first Official, June 1st.

We hope and expect you are having great times around with the forum and Mageia!!!

It has been good to have such a solid test release around. I was waiting a few months for the initial build, but I could tell from the early Wiki discussions - before this forum was even started, I believe, that some solid planning was taking place, so I was willing to wait. So far, it has seemed to be well worth it, and we should be seeing even greater rewards for our efforts in the very near future.

I only sent in one defect report, and as it turned out, for some reason on that day, the first package refresh didn't "take hold" on my system. But I did another package refresh, and quite a bit of new software appeared, and ever since then it has been "smooth sailing". I am eager to see the final result; the release candidate is quite solid; looking forward to the final art work and any last minute changes (though other than art work, I really haven't seen anything myself that required more work) - so this is in great shape for that trumpet to sound for Mageia Version 1.0 (if we start at "1"), or version 2011 if we use yearly numbering schemes! ;-)
Brian Masinick
masinick

Postby Glenn » May 21st, '11, 19:33

As it stands now I have a laptop with which I swap out 2 different hard disks, each one containing 6 or 7 Linux distributions. Fedora 15, Fedora 14, SL, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu and now Mageia. Of course there's the obligatory Windows 7 and Windows XP on one of those disks too. On one of my desktops I have a 1TB disk with several partitions and I have an equal number of distros on that too. I'm a junkie. Can't help it. Matter of fact, my car needs work, it's Saturday afternoon and where am I? In front of a Linux box.

As for my start with computers? I come from the days of the Commodore 64, 300 baud modems, 5 1/4 floppies, cassette tape drives and BBS's.
Glenn
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS
Glenn

Postby masinick » May 21st, '11, 20:38

Glenn, I come from the days of punched cards for IBM mainframes, paper tape readers for interactive terminals connected to minicomputers. 110 Baud Acoustic Couplers (few direct modems back then, they were expensive), and I used small computers when they were called minicomputer, then microcomputer, as they got microprocessors. By the time the "PC" came out, I had been a professional already for two years.

In college, I got to work with two Heathkit lab computers, an H-8, which was based on the Intel 8080, and the H-11, which was based on the Digital Equipment PDP-11. I also got to use Digital PDP-8 and PDP-11 in Electrical Engineering courses that blended the conversations about hardware and software. I was primarily a Computer Science student, but I took courses in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Business Administration that pertained to computer software and firmware from an engineering, theoretical, and practical business point of view. I actually briefly saw a PDP-11/45 computer running UNIX around 1976, but I did not really get a lot of time with it. It wasn't until 1982 that I was able to re-unite with UNIX systems, but then it was for good, until Linux systems came along. I've had two opportunities to work professionally with Linux software. Prior to that, it was UNIX systems; these days, unfortunately, it's mostly Windows systems because that is what most local employers use.

I'm hoping to see a lot more of Cloud based computing, and then I may have more opportunities to promote free sofware, especially Linux-based systems.
Brian Masinick
masinick

Postby allangen » May 23rd, '11, 04:28

Hello All,
I'm another old timer. My first computer was a Commodore Vic-20. My first linux distro was Red Hat, and I eventually transitioned to Mandrake. I was a Club member for quite a long time, and regularly downloaded the powerpack. As Mandy was always in and out of financial trouble over many years, there were constant discussions about her future and the wisdom of a community fork. Wobo was often the voice of wisdom in these matters. I now use Mandriva free as my main distro, but also multi boot with Debian stable, and Slackware 13.37 ( don't you just love Patrick's sense of humor). I'm very pleased to see the community come together to take charge of this project. I recently downloaded and installed Mageia1 RC. It's stable, recognizes my hardware, and the software is fully functional (except for the resize terminal and freeze thingy). BTW, the terminal in Konqueror does just fine and won't cause a freeze. I have great hopes for Mageia, and will be watching closely from my little perch in southern Nevada, in a small city called Henderson, right next to Las Vegas.

Best Wishes
allangen

Postby macxi » May 24th, '11, 21:50

Hello,

I'm from Brazil (excuse my english) and I use Linux for several years.

Initially I used Conectiva Linux (and Kurumin), and then Conectiva was bought by Mandrake, I started using Mandriva.

I'm not professional the informatics area, but I'm the desktop user who seeks quality and stability of a Linux distribution.

Since 2007 I am part of the Community MandrivaBrasil, but in 2010, I was very good impressed with the quality and stability of Mandriva 2010.0. All work very well without any bug, it was enough to install and use.

So, I started to participate more in the forum and edit the wiki text essential for beginners to understand the simplicity of operation of Mandriva, on "Tips for Beginners" (see in english), and now I edit the same text in Wiki MageiaBrasil (see in english)

I followed the news about the sale of Mandriva and I was worried with the end of Mandriva Linux 2010.0.

The creation of Mageia (especially with a community format) is very welcome, ensuring the continuation of this powerful project Mandriva 2010.0. And I wish you all success in this project.

I imagine that this project could become an option RPM/KDE Community, similar to Debian DEB/GNOME.

I hope Mageia to find ways to fund the project, such as Debian has been trying to find ( SPI, donation, partners, Vendors of CDs, etc). (and hope that other Linux distributions (like PCLinuxOS and derivatives) come together the Mageia).

I intend to continue participating in the Community MandrivaBrasil and MageiaBrasil and here. I'm available to help, especially to edit texts and basic tips for beginners, as I did in Wiki MandrivaBrasil and as I'm trying to do on the wiki MageiaBrasil.

I installed Mageia Beta2 and Mageia RC in virtualbox and in my computer and I'm really enjoying.

Cheers! :)
macxi

Postby allangen » May 25th, '11, 00:47

Welcome Macxi,

Your English is excellent, and it is my non existent Portuguese that I should apologize for. You are in a very unique position, because many currently unanswered questions will come out of Brasil. Mandriva-Europe, it seems, will focus on server based distributions, while Russian partners will be working on education oriented programs, I think, for the Russian market. So where does that leave Mandriva for the desktop? I think it's likely that it will come out of Brasil. That's good news because the old Connectiva legacy was one of excellence in writing code. Will a Mandriva desktop be able to meet the needs of the community, or will it be a short cycle, Fedora-like desktop whose main goal is to bug test new developments for the Enterprise versions? Only time will tell. Further good news is that Mageia is a true child of the community, and so by nature will cater to the needs of the desktop user. You are in a very exciting place, because much of the action will be coming out of Brasil.

If you can, keep us posted about further developments and upcoming news. We're all keen to hear what "the boys from Brasil" are up to.

Cheers
allangen

Postby macxi » May 25th, '11, 19:56

allangen wrote:Welcome Macxi,
Your English is excellent, and it is my non existent Portuguese that I should apologize for. You are in a very unique position, because many currently unanswered questions will come out of Brasil. Mandriva-Europe, it seems, will focus on server based distributions, while Russian partners will be working on education oriented programs, I think, for the Russian market. So where does that leave Mandriva for the desktop? I think it's likely that it will come out of Brasil. That's good news because the old Connectiva legacy was one of excellence in writing code. Will a Mandriva desktop be able to meet the needs of the community, or will it be a short cycle, Fedora-like desktop whose main goal is to bug test new developments for the Enterprise versions? Only time will tell. Further good news is that Mageia is a true child of the community, and so by nature will cater to the needs of the desktop user. You are in a very exciting place, because much of the action will be coming out of Brasil.
If you can, keep us posted about further developments and upcoming news. We're all keen to hear what "the boys from Brasil" are up to.
Cheers

Allangen,

Thanks for the welcome. As for my english, I confess that I depend on the help of google translator, which is very helpful. I try to correct the errors, but they can occur without my knowing it.

As the news, I imagine you here are very knowledgeable of everything, including on Mandriva, and it would be great to discuss with you about all this.

In Brazil, the Debian-derived distributions are the most used for government entities, mainly by universities and schools, such as Linux Education developed by the University of Parana - UFPR, which is derived from Kubuntu 10.04 (see in english). I think the distributions based on Debian has are safer for government entities, because no have rules such as commercial distributions, therefore, are more used.

So, I think that the creation of community distribution Mageia is very important because it is a distribution that must be like Mandriva, easy to use and stable, with a good integration with KDE (RPM and with MCC), and it's community, all this may make Mageia very popular.

Cheers! :)
Last edited by macxi on May 26th, '11, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
macxi

Postby masinick » May 25th, '11, 20:54

Hi Allangen and macxi,

It is great to see both of you here. I am grateful that there are now translation tools so that each of us can view messages in our native languages, and yet still communicate with enough accuracy to at least get our point across, and certainly to exchange warm greetings.

From 1995 until 1998, I worked in the operating system engineering group of Digital UNIX, and my area of expertise was Internationalization and Localization. I had, from time to time, worked with people from other countries before, but in that job, for the first time, that was my PRIMARY role, and I enjoyed it TREMENDOUSLY! There is nothing more rewarding, interesting, and fun, than to explore one another's cultural experiences and values, to enjoy and celebrate the differences - AND to chuckle and laugh as each of us stumble in each other's language and culture, which are foreign to us. To me, it is a great joy to learn about people that are different than I am. So when I have to learn a few words of French, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, whatever it may be, I stumble and struggle, but hopefully we all laugh together, show patience as we learn and appreciate the ways in another part of the world.

I know when it comes to tools, applications, desktops, everyone has their preference. Same for our native countries. Each of us has a place that we want to be, and most of the time, we like our way the best. But for me, even though I like my brand of computer, my desktop, my operating system, my browser, my editor... and on goes the list, I understand and appreciate that each one of us has preferences that differ; some we may share in common, but others are complete opposites.

A great International Distribution like Mageia can be a wonderful place where we can use the system in a great many different ways, yet have something in common.

I remember when Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder, both great song writers and singers, got together, and they wrote "Ebony and Ivory". They commented in their song that the Ebony keys and the Ivory keys get along in perfect harmony on their piano keyboard, and they asked, "Then why can't we?"

Some things in cultures have, indeed, caused a lot of repair, and there is more cross cultural, cross national, and diversity of work and collaboration than ever before. I can't say that I will agree with what everyone does everywhere, but even when I don't agree, as long as their is no physical or emotional harm and damage taking place between individuals, even if we sharply disagree in one or more ideology, when it comes to this stuff, we can be best of friends, and even have fun.

I hope we have a LOT of that here. Believe me, it can be fun - even funny.

For example, one day, I was trying to say some words in Japanese, based on something in the Calendar. I know that several of the Asian languages derived from or loosely related to Chinese have the notion of "Idea-cons" - word pictures instead of letters and numbers used in the Roman-based alphabet. I mispronounced one of these "words", and my Japanese friend, Toshiki, came running, saying, "Where, where?" Apparently instead of saying "6 moons and 18 suns" or something like that to describe June 18 or some date on the calendar, my pronunciation suggested something like there was a picture of an attractive nude woman - which of course I did not intend to say... so we got a good laugh out of it, and then Toshiki "coached" me on how to say it right - that was years ago; all I remember is the funny story today! :-)

I greatly enjoy the mannerisms of my European and Asian friends especially, and I hope we can grow many new friendships here as this fine distribution gets off the ground.

Enough for now, but I urge us: let's have some fun here! :-)
Brian Masinick
masinick

Postby rgasch » May 26th, '11, 12:27

Hi,

I figured I'd briefly chime in and say that with the recent upheavals at Mandriva I'm very glad that Mageia has happened. I was 'forced' to learn Unix during my University years (1987-1991) since all CS programming assignments had to run on our Unix systems. While working at Oracle doing (of course) Unix based development, I was looking for an affordable Unix version for home use which would run on standard PC hardware; I stumbled upon Linux in 1993 and it's been my primary OS ever since.

I started using Slackware, then RedHat and then Mandrake/Mandriva. The thing I liked about Mandriva was that is was fairly polished and that everything just worked. Long gone are the times when I enjoyed messing around with config files, etc. These days I do webapps in PHP and just want a system I can easily install and where everything just works; I've turned into something close to an end-user :D . Mandriva is certainly a great base to build on and an if Mageia can continue this tradition and expand on it, I think it will have a bright future.

My time doesn't permit me to really contribute in terms of helping with the business of building the distribution but I'll try to answer a few questions to the forums here so that newcomers can more easily find their way.

Oh yes, I am also the author of http://code.google.com/p/terraform/, a terrain generator/editor build on Gtk/Gnome ... it's pretty dormant but last year I made some changes to make it compile on modern distros. If I ever find the time, I'll try to make an up-to-date RPM for it.

Greetings
Robert
rgasch

Postby masinick » May 26th, '11, 22:17

Thanks for the intro and for your contributions to free software Robert!
Brian Masinick
masinick

Postby OKCLinux » May 29th, '11, 13:47

First heard of Linux when I took a UNIX administrator class with the US Air Force back in 1999. Was fascinated that something existed besides Windows and Macs.

First started running distros in virtual machines when I discovered VVMware in 2003.

Loaded up several distros, but the first time I saw KDE I loved it. Dual booted Kubuntu in 2009, and was really impressed.

Tried Mandriva in 2010, but had lots of wireless issues with the notebook. But overall liked the layout, and when I heard that Mageia was coming out decided that I wanted to be involved from the get go!

Now I'm using Kubuntu as my primary OS, with occasional trips back to Win7 so I can play Simcity 4 and Civilization 4.

Currently I have the kids' linux box slated to switch to Mageia once it comes out. If I can get the wireless issues fixed with my notebook, I'll convert that to Mageia also.

The kids prefer the linux OS over anything windows.

One thing I love about linux is the cost. I've got 12 computers in the house, and if I were to pay licensee fees on all of them to Microsoft it would break my budget.

About me - From Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Old enough to have had a computer merit badge in Boy scouts with a punch card on it, but young enough to have no grandchildren (yet!).

And a greetings goes out to my fellow Okie from Chelsea!
OKCLinux

Postby Germ » May 31st, '11, 13:38

Small world. :mrgreen:

I'm from Chelsea. NE of Tulsa up Highway 66. Welcome to Mageia.
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby wobo » May 31st, '11, 13:57

Germ wrote:Small world. :mrgreen:

I've been to Chelsea, it's a couple of thousand miles east of Highway 66!
(or did you mean "Chelsea, USA"?) :)
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby isadora » May 31st, '11, 14:05

wobo wrote:

Have been there as well, the Chelsea in New York that is.;-)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby oldcodger » May 31st, '11, 14:33

isadora wrote:
wobo wrote:

I've been to Chelsea as well, the one in the UK. The one with the football team. 8-)
oldcodger

Postby Germ » May 31st, '11, 16:37

I've heard of those other Chelseas. There's Chelsea, Massachusetts also.

But I'm in Chelsea, Oklahoma USA.
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby masinick » May 31st, '11, 17:36

Germ wrote:I've heard of those other Chelseas. There's Chelsea, Massachusetts also.

But I'm in Chelsea, Oklahoma USA.

Nice, not only to see all the Chelsea communities represented, it's also nice to know that a few people know one from another as well!

I guess all the Chelsea residents are welcome to celebrate the release tomorrow along with the rest of us, right Germ? ;-)
Brian Masinick
masinick

Postby wobo » May 31st, '11, 20:05

oldcodger wrote:
isadora wrote:
wobo wrote:

I've been to Chelsea as well, the one in the UK. The one with the football team. 8-)

That's what I meant - the "original" Chelsea!
It's nice to see where all the emigrants from Chelsea found a new home in the USA. It's the same with other European towns and their "new" copies in the USA (Berlin, Paris, Hamburg, etc.).
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby Germ » May 31st, '11, 21:13

masinick wrote:I guess all the Chelsea residents are welcome to celebrate the release tomorrow along with the rest of us, right Germ? ;-)

You betcha. :mrgreen:
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby masinick » May 31st, '11, 21:55

Germ wrote:
masinick wrote:I guess all the Chelsea residents are welcome to celebrate the release tomorrow along with the rest of us, right Germ? ;-)

You betcha. :mrgreen:

Of course I'm just messing with you guys! This has been an excellent collaborative effort, proof that there were many great people in the background on the former Mandriva project. The fact that the current Mandriva effort is struggling so much is further evidence that they lost some fine people when they unceremoniously terminated so many fine people. The combination of that act, the numerous misqueues in both the Mandrake and Mandriva projects, coupled with the fact that we now have a community based alternative that contains the good features so many of us enjoyed in Mandrake and Mandriva without the poor management decisions, leaves me happy and here with Mageia!

Go, team, go! Looking for that release - even for Chelsea people! ;-)
Brian Masinick
masinick

Postby OKCLinux » Jun 1st, '11, 00:59

Well I'll be up in your neck of the woods come this August. Daughter #1 is heading off to Rogers State University and I get to make the trips from OKC to move her stuff up.

Would love to get her into Linux, but happy that I was able to talk her out of a new Mac for this fall.
OKCLinux

Postby Germ » Jun 1st, '11, 16:36

Cool. I'm about 14 miles from RSU. We do our shopping in Claremore.
Linux User #274693
Germ

Introduction

Postby LinuXFroG » Jun 2nd, '11, 00:03

Well, I couldn't find a place devoted just to introducing ourselves, so I made this post. If I was wrong in doing so, please forgive me.

I am LinuX FroG. I have been known by many nomenclatures on the net, but this is the one I'm known by mostly in the World of *Nix. But my actualy name is Sal. I live in the US, am married and have 2 wonderful daughters. They are 24 and 8. Our oldest has given us a great little grandson. Which we have spoiled rotten. :D

Anyways, I have been using linux since the release of Windows 98. I just couldn't stand being a prisoner in my own mind and just stuck without any choices. Windows is a trap and once stuck, it's hard to get out of. Anyways, i chewed my own arm off and ran to linux.

I hope to get to know everyone here and help out where I can. I am not a coder, graphics artist or anything involved with creating a distro. But I have been known to beta and alpha test distros from time to time. But at this time, other then testing, I could possibly host a mirror for the ISOs. I will double check with my hosting company first.

~S~
LinuXFroG

Edit:
Whoops. i didn't even see this. Guess my old eyes are getting worse. Sorry for the mistake.
LinuXFroG

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome on board