Do we need a new site/board admin?

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Do we need a new site admin?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes : 9

Re: Do we need a new site/board admin?

Postby Ken-Bergen » Mar 21st, '12, 00:15

doktor5000 wrote:
Ken-Bergen wrote:At first glance it would seem we have enough moderators but digging deeper it looks like we only have one active moderator isadora.

Well, he is active, but due to health reasons not much time for the forums.
I wasn't complaining about the job he's doing but rather that he's having to do it alone.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby alf » Mar 21st, '12, 00:48

Ken-Bergen wrote:I wasn't complaining about the job he's doing but rather that he's having to do it alone.

If you look at the group "global moderators", there are 5 other people, but where are these?
for windows problems reboot; for linux problems be root
alf

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 21st, '12, 01:03

Actually only 4 real people, "forumadmin" is just a system account. isadora and Stephen (Germ) are active moderators, i've never seen ohan or stef74 do anything or heard from them. So 2 people do the administrative work. And i'd have no more time for that after doing the support work, due to new dayjob. Any volunteers? Please step forward!

Apart from that there's also https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Archive:Foru ... ek_25_2011 especially paragraph "B" which still stands true.
What's also strange is initially there was quite a bunch of people interested in forums: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Web_Forums_concerned

Kinda sad :cry:
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Ken-Bergen » Mar 21st, '12, 02:07

doktor5000 wrote:Actually only 4 real people, "forumadmin" is just a system account. isadora and Stephen (Germ) are active moderators, i've never seen ohan or stef74 do anything or heard from them. So 2 people do the administrative work.
Check again, Germ last logged in Jan 12 this year so it looks like he quietly quit leaving only isadora.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby viking60 » Mar 21st, '12, 06:46

The moderators are fine. I never intended to step on any moderators toe - so if I could be understood that way I must apologize.
The Don Quijote analogy seems fitting. The Windmills are the problem :D
They implement BBCode, other suggestions and upgrade boards when they work! And that should be made possible for one person to handle. I want the action first and the meeting afterwords - and a guy that can feel free to take immediate action (meetings and other rituals should not have a postponing effect).
The other way around has obviously failed so far, afaict.
Edit:
In fact doktor5000 would be perfect for the job. It must be frustrating requesting from others and getting no response when he could do it all himself (I am sure he is able to) : :D
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Postby wobo » Mar 21st, '12, 09:19

Well, all these points have been repeatedly reported to the council in public messages as well as in mails to single members of the council. So the argument "it's always hard to see" is hardly valid.

But this is only the necessary "look back" to avoid similar behavior in the future.

Needed now is looking ahead at how the problem can be solved, now that the council eventually took on the issue. Founding yet another team will not help much when the single positions needed are not filled by people who will actually fill the position in daily practice. Of course the technical implementation of the 2 forums (en and de) adds to the problem.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby viking60 » Mar 21st, '12, 14:11

wobo wrote:Well, all these points have been repeatedly reported to the council in public messages as well as in mails to single members of the council. So the argument "it's always hard to see" is hardly valid.

I understood that comment as a comment from a well behaved lady with manners and consideration for present volunteers, making it difficult to act without hurting anyone's feelings.
We don't have that problem! Image I guess it can be debated whether that is a good or bad thing Image
viking60

Postby isadora » Mar 21st, '12, 14:17

In addition to doktor5000, yes health reasons make my appearance not that secure.
It even can be possible, that because of this same reason, that i will be out of sight for prolonged periods.
So far this has not been the case, although i had to visit the hospital for a few shorter periods the last year.

As far as it concerns administering-tasks all is quite oversee-able so far.
But i must admit it is not a real great situation, and continuity is not secured this way. Every period of absence from my side is announced to the moderating-team beforehand.
This in hopes others are keeping track.

So, as far as the situation is right now, considering the above, from my point of view, additional hands would be welcome.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby wobo » Mar 21st, '12, 14:21

viking60 wrote:I understood that comment as a comment from a well behaved lady with manners and consideration for present volunteers, making it difficult to act without hurting anyone's feelings.

The council and the organisation as such has not the prime goal to make everybody feel cozy and happy. If something is not ok it should be spelled out just as it is. Disguising mistakes because it may make somebody feel uncomfortable is the best way to repeat such mistakes.
Well, this is one point I always disagreed with a couple of other people.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby viking60 » Mar 24th, '12, 16:21

Yeah it just ocured to me that we may have asked in the in the wrong way:
:D
viking60

Previous

Return to Discussions about forums