Welcome to Mageia forums

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Re: Welcome to Mageia forums

Postby ve9cbc » Nov 24th, '11, 00:27

Finally decided to join and post, after trying the 64 bit version with no problems at all! :D Plus I also converted to KDE from Gnome (not a fan on where Gnome 3 is going). :cry: A very solid release - congrats to all of you! Looking forward to Mageia 2. :D
Windows - a hidden disaster waiting for all to explore. :)
ve9cbc

Postby isadora » Nov 24th, '11, 14:13

A very warm welcome ve9cbc !!!!

Hope your experiences will continue the same satisfying way for the future.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby dyfi » Dec 19th, '11, 10:21

Hi,

Have given Mageia a thorough working over during the last couple of weeks. Very pleasantly surprised!

Thanks to the Developers.

Grub2 would be a nice improvement - I guess it will arrive in due course.

Dyfi.
dyfi

Postby isadora » Dec 19th, '11, 14:17

Thanks dyfi for taking time, introducing yourself.

Hope you will keep this same pleasant feeling about Mageia, the distro and community, for long times ahead!!!!

Welcome, and enjoy!!!!

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby Germ » Dec 22nd, '11, 13:33

Welcome to Mageia!

Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby calvert » Dec 26th, '11, 00:27

hi all,

i've been a dedicated mandriva user for the past 4 years, just installed mageia 1 as dual boot - pretty smooth,
no problems upto now (apart from a small compiz issue)

keep up the good work
registered Linux user 476319
registered machine 408663
calvert

Postby isadora » Dec 26th, '11, 10:25

Hi and welcome to the Mageia-forum calvert!!!!!

Enjoy your stay, and even more enjoy the distribution!!!!!

isadora

Postby dollyknot » Jan 10th, '12, 18:19

Hello,

I'm new here.

I read last Saturday on Slashdot, that Mandriva is about to go bankrupt, I have been using Mandriva for around 10 years and for about the last 3 years have been a Power user, I have recently upgraded to Power user 2011 and I'm not happy with it, especially as I paid 49 Euro's for support, package upgrades and bug fixes, apart from the fact that the upgrade has been a bit of a mess, with graphics settings not being retained after reboot, kmail crashing constantly and various other issues I have had with it.

My question is this, if I download Mageia 64 bit, will it install in root and leave my home partition alone?

Regards

Peter.

http://dollyknot.com
dollyknot

Postby nccpgmr9 » Jan 10th, '12, 21:30

dollyknot wrote:Hello,

I
My question is this, if I download Mageia 64 bit, will it install in root and leave my home partition alone?

http://dollyknot.com

Welcome to Mageia,
to answer your question "yes" , i have done this myself, went like a charm with NO issues
msi 785gtm-e45 motherboard,64bit AMD 960t Quad core (overclocked to 3.6),AMD® 785G and SB710 Chipset,ATI ‎RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] video,4gb ram
Realtek® High-End Audio chipset- Compliant with Azalia,Realtek PCI-E GbLAN controller 8111C
nccpgmr9

Postby RoyD » Jan 21st, '12, 07:59

Hi All
i've been a dedicated Mandriva user for the past 4 years. I formatted my drive and now my main distro is Mageia, looks just great.
Everything is working great. Except printing to a Windows printer ( thats normal so its not a problem.) I am sure we will sort that out in the near future as usual. My daughter said we have changed names but its so the same and easy. Good job everyone.
Thanks Roy
images/icons/smile/mrgreen.gif
Using Mageia 5 KDE 32bit on an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600, Asus P5K-E, XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512mb, 4096 MB ram
RoyD

Postby rijnsma » Jan 21st, '12, 12:25

RoyD wrote:
Except printing to a Windows printer

Does that also exist??? :shock:
The better the desktop with the classic controls, the less chance of Mondriaan rectangles...!
rijnsma

Postby Skid » Feb 18th, '12, 01:09

Hi,

I have been lurking on these forums for some time so I thought that I would go ahead and actually post something. Like most of you, I came here by way of the Mandriva forums. I started using Linux with Mandrake 7.2. I liked the way it worked and bought Mandrake 8.0 from a local computer store. I've been using Mandrake/Mandriva as a Silver/PowerPack/whatever subscriber ever since. But I switched and I now have 4 PCs running Mageia 1. I still have 2 PCs running Mandriva 2008.1; I plan to switch them over as well, but I'm lazy. :mrgreen:

Mageia is running great. Keep up the good work!

Skid
Skid

Postby absolutefunk » Feb 19th, '12, 03:49

Howdy y'all!

Just wanted to throw in a quick intro. I have been using Ubuntu for the past couple years, and while I had no major complaints with it, I felt it was time to finally give into temptation and switch to KDE, so I figured, why not a new distro while I'm at it :) The installer is very nice, and the assumptions it made (ie, preserving my current mount points and reformatting my Ubuntu root partition) were all spot on, so it was just a few clicks lol. The only real snag I ran into was the Ati firmware issue, but I got that fixed, and even got tear-free video to work with the proprietary driver. Think I'll be sticking with Mageia for a while :)

-Brian
absolutefunk

Postby jamesbannon » Feb 19th, '12, 08:12

Hello! New user here, though not new to Linux. Was using Windows for a while because I couldn't get support for my, then, new machine. Latest kernel seems to provide everything I need virtually out of the box (except my Aiptek 14000u tablet). I'll no doubt have some questions, since I'm completely new to Mageia, but I'll have a browse around first. I was quite impressed with the installation; no major hassles and fairly easy to configure. So far, I'm liking this distro! :)

ETA: BTW, I'm running GNOME. I can't get on with KDE at all for some reason.
jamesbannon

Postby isadora » Feb 19th, '12, 10:11

A warm welcome to all the newcomers!!!!

Hope you enjoy the forum as much, as you like the distribution.
Let's work on a magical future!!!

isadora

Postby beep » Feb 24th, '12, 21:28

HI everyone, just joined the forum since I've dedicated a partition to Mageia. I'm the type who joins forums with good intentions, makes a couple of posts and wanders off. So don't be nice to me. ;) I'm also the type who goes to download a distro, sees a new beta release, and decides unwisely to start with that. :roll: Off to the Cauldron subforum with me...

Edit 19:37: I'm also the type who's got Mandriva 2011 on my other active partition and have had Mand* as my primary OS since Mandrake 9.0. :)
beep

Postby pixelhack1 » Mar 2nd, '12, 21:47

Hello, I've used mandrake and mandriva over the years, but, Mageia I see might have potential if we all stick together with this one. I try to help every way I can, hoping that one day Mageia will be the the kubuntu or other well known distros out there.

I have the Mageia 1 installed and found that it does have bugs, but, has a great feel to it; I understand that Mageia is in it's baby form, and others scoff the idea of this linux distro. You guys will hear form me if there are bugs in my distro version waiting for Mageia 2 to come out, so I could test it out. :D

Have a great year
-Pixelhack-
pixelhack1

Postby Creto » Mar 9th, '12, 19:30

Hi, I'm Creto brazilian user.

Brazilian greetings
Creto

Postby rijnsma » Mar 9th, '12, 20:54

Also a kind of magician or doctor (avatar)? :D Welcome!
The better the desktop with the classic controls, the less chance of Mondriaan rectangles...!
rijnsma

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 9th, '12, 21:20

rijnsma wrote:Also a kind of magician or doctor (avatar)? :D Welcome!

A Mageia-infected Yoda, it is.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Agust » Mar 12th, '12, 14:08

Hello everyone, well my presentation is very simple, I am "Agust" "Enlightenment Artist" :shock: , yes I only work for E :mrgreen: .
I've been testing Mageia and I think when version 2 comes out, I'll stay with you (If you do not have any problem). :roll:

The E version is in the repos is very old, but for now I am content, so as I would like to make some "e17theme" for me and Mageia.

Please would need to know where to get wallpapers and logo for the e17themes Mageia Thanks in advance.

Greetings and thanks for your fantastic work.
Agust
"Yo soy como soy"
Artist Enlightenment
Agust

Postby rijnsma » Mar 12th, '12, 15:21

doktor5000 wrote:
rijnsma wrote:Also a kind of magician or doctor (avatar)? :D Welcome!

A Mageia-infected Yoda, it is.

He is a colleague, doktor5000... :lol:
rijnsma

Postby mandex » Mar 12th, '12, 20:38

Hello forum.

I'm mandex, and I've already had the pleasure of meeting Doktor5000.

I have used this for a few days and am VERY happy with it.
Thanks for the opportunity to be part of a great community, also known as: L I N U X.
mandex

Postby isadora » Mar 12th, '12, 20:41

And another batch of newcomers!!!!!!!

Very welcome all, feel at home, enjoy, share and contribute!!!!!!

isadora

Postby dubigrasu » Mar 12th, '12, 22:12

Welcome to everyone!
Agust wrote:Hello everyone, well my presentation is very simple, I am "Agust"

Hi Agust, very glad to see you here. I like very much your work and is great to know that Mageia will benefit from it. Hope you´ll find reasons to stay and create some exquisite E17 Mageia themes.
This is a good place for a wizard like you.
dubigrasu

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome on board