Smilies

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Re: Smilies

Postby viking60 » Jan 24th, '12, 14:35

doktor5000 wrote:
wobo wrote:I only wanted to show a selection which is ready to be inserted in this software quite easily in a couple of minutes. But as you can see, this request has been on the list for a long time without any result.

Which is sad by itself. Considering the fact that the forum administrator always said just there's no problem with his availability/visibility. But what do i know ...

There is one scenario though that could make this unfair: If the forum admin does not know how to do this, then it is unfair to criticize...
If it is a strategy of punishing loudmouths -like you two guys, and only responding to important people - then he could have responded to my humble suggestions.... Image
I sure hope that the admin does not have the entire community on his "shit-list" (there is no need, because I for one, am really nice - my mother told me soImage).
Count me in - what do I knowImage
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Postby wobo » Jan 24th, '12, 16:29

I am very sure of the fact that the admin knows his ways in the ACP and the forum, he has already done something like this.

BTW: Loudmouths as us can't be punished, we're cool! Image
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby Max » Jan 24th, '12, 18:14

wobo wrote:I am very sure of the fact that the admin knows his ways in the ACP and the forum, he has already done something like this.

BTW: Loudmouths as us can't be punished, we're cool! Image

Umm...
I used to mod a forum where we had a long-winded loudmouth. I punished him by allowing his posts to be only 256 chars long, and only one post an hour. :twisted:
Max

Postby wobo » Jan 24th, '12, 19:15

Max wrote:
wobo wrote:BTW: Loudmouths as us can't be punished, we're cool! Image

I used to mod a forum where we had a long-winded loudmouth. I punished him by allowing his posts to be only 256 chars long, and only one post an hour. :twisted:

Yes, that would be possible. But who would be the one who gets punished in this case where the doktor and I are the loudmouths (according to viking)?

But apart from this banter, seriously:
"loudmouth" is a very wide expression. If it is a negative loudmouth who is only there to criticize without making suggestions for a solution, then send him on a task he will never return from. If it is a loudmouth who keeps nagging people about issues which should be resolved (while also giving realistic suggestions how the issues could be resolved), then keep him and be thankful. As a forum maintainer I often rolled my eyes in such cases but I was always glad to have such "positve" loudmouths around, they kept reminding me of things I had forgotten to do. Because in my opinion an admin is not the king of a forum, he is the house management and facility manager.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby martinw » Jan 24th, '12, 19:53

Without loudmouths like wobo, we would still have to ask a moderator to mark threads as solved...

Keep on nagging, wobo!
martinw

Postby Max » Jan 24th, '12, 20:56

Agreed.
We should be bothering the forum admins about this thread and the BBcode recommendations. (This one: viewforum.php?f=18 )
Max

Postby wobo » Jan 24th, '12, 21:07

There are more: see the latest posts after this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1661#p13102
wobo
---
wobo

Postby viking60 » Jan 26th, '12, 00:46

We have a saying in Valhall:
Den som tar spøk for spøk og alvor for alvorlig - den har forstått begge deler dårlig!
I will leave you to reflect on that :D
The loudmouth was just an Irony for expressing that I don't get this - so the Doctor and the Baron are coolImage. Looks like there is no point in making suggestions regarding the forum at all. All suggestions are given with the motive of contributing to a better experience.
I see that txt attachments were allowed on request, and I think they are way more dangerous than BBCode and Smilies; so I see no reason there either.
It is probably just a silent majority disagreeing again I guess.
What can we do; we will have to respect the majorityImage
I will certainly not loose any more calories over it.
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Previous

Return to Discussions about forums