[SOLVED] New 64bit install -- Log Out window keeps appearing

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED] New 64bit install -- Log Out window keeps appearing

Postby marcpare » Jun 10th, '11, 03:25

I just installed a new 64 bit Mageia and all works well, except that about every 4-5 minutes, the logout window pops up and gives me about 25 seconds to log out. If I am away from the keyboard it will log me out.

If I have Kwrite open with some unsaved text and the logout window appears and times out, the Kwrite Save/Abandon/Close window will come up (which it should do normally), however, I will not see the lougout window again. It seems to disable the appearance of the logout window.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Marc
marcpare

Re: New 64bit install -- Log Out window keeps appearing

Postby marcpare » Jun 11th, '11, 02:37

Is there a way where I can see if any process is causing this? Or is there a way where I can monitor any processes so that I can try to find out what is causing the box to want to log me off?

Any tips?

Marc
marcpare

Postby djennings » Jun 11th, '11, 11:32

I do not know what is causing this, but it does not seem to be affecting anyone else. Does it happen if you create a new user and log in as that user?
Alternatively you could rename your ~/.kde folder and let the system create a new one at the next login.
djennings

Postby marcpare » Jun 11th, '11, 19:39

I created a new user and it still does the same thing. I have also deleted the .kde4 with still the same results.

Still a mystery.

Cheers

Marc
marcpare

Postby djennings » Jun 11th, '11, 21:52

It is a shot in the dark, but I have one suggestion.

In KDE Control Panel
Menu>Tools>SystemTools>SystemSettings
PowerManagement>PowerProfiles

Look at each of the power profiles. In 'performance' for example the default setting for the 'Power button' is to give a log out prompt.

If there was some problem with your computer such that it got spurious power button events it would give the symptoms you are experiencing.

Just an idea...
djennings

Postby marcpare » Jun 12th, '11, 08:56

Thanks. After disabling the button setting in that section, I have had no problems. Although, now I can no longer choose to turn box off by pushing the on-off button.

I'll let leave a note on this discussion if it the shutdown window comes back again.

Cheers

Marc
marcpare

[SOLVED] Re: New 64bit install -- Log Out window keeps appea

Postby marcpare » Jun 13th, '11, 01:49

I am just reporting back that disabling the power button function in the KDE system settings all is working well.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Marc
marcpare

Return to Advanced support