kernels accumulating over time...

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

kernels accumulating over time...

Postby JY » Nov 5th, '21, 18:26

Hi!
As kernels start accumulating in /boot and not being automatically removed over time, it has been hard to promote Mageia for non tech users....
I saw the topic talked in this tread: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24403

But since some years i couldnt read some more news on that topic...

I just wondered if that project of some sort of autoremoval of old kernels was abandonned?
JY

Re: kernels accumulating over time...

Postby sturmvogel » Nov 5th, '21, 18:34

I have never understood why it is so hard for some users to remove Kernels manually. Filter for installed Kernels, mark the ones to remove. Remove them. Do this every two month....
sturmvogel

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 5th, '21, 22:34

JY wrote:As kernels start accumulating in /boot and not being automatically removed over time, it has been hard to promote Mageia for non tech users....

Why is that an issue in particular, and how is it preventing non tech users from using Mageia ?

Also, doing a quick search in the forums, during the last year, this was asked once. I don't see that as a critical issue.
Apart from that, the bug you mentioned has updates from this year, why do you think it was abandoned?
If you want to provide the patch to implement this in urpmi or in drakxtools, then please feel free to attach it to that bug.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby JY » Nov 5th, '21, 23:55

Hi!
Well i assumed it was abandonned when i didnt see this talk go forward: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature_Talk ... ed_kernels
I find this problematic for non techy people as if the /boot partition isnt too big it gets full of old kernels without any gui warning about how to manage them...
comments 14 and 23 are expressing this frustration: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24403#c23
JY

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 6th, '21, 04:36

JY wrote:I find this problematic for non techy people as if the /boot partition isnt too big it gets full of old kernels

There's no /boot partition in a default install, and why would a non tech user create one?
Also if there's not enough space to install a given package then rpm will issue a warning that the package cannot be installed.

Also the wiki page you quoted is from ages ago and was about something different, also it was not accepted as a feature for Mageia 3, hence no updates on the talk page.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby JY » Nov 6th, '21, 16:26

yes sure, space in /boot of just space in / blocking new updates....
Comment 14 is quite relevant: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24403#c14
JY

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 6th, '21, 16:46

Yeah, but that doesn't break your system or prevent this from being recommended to non tech users.

Furthermore if there would be that much (non tech) users affected by this, they would probably also ask about this issue and how to fix it. But as mentioned there's only one relevant thread during the last years.
----
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Nov 6th, '21, 18:59

Yes this ought to bet fixed.
Especially people upgrading release by release get a lot of kernels, taking space and extra time processing updates.
Normal users more often get irritated than asking for help :/
We are low on manpower, so welcome aboard :)

Remember this supposed to be a community distro - users cooperating on improving Mageia together
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby omnio » Feb 13th, '22, 22:51

doktor5000 wrote:Why is that an issue in particular, and how is it preventing non tech users from using Mageia ?

Also, doing a quick search in the forums, during the last year, this was asked once. I don't see that as a critical issue.

You seem to have this strange habit of going against what other people need just because you don't need it. Mageia isn't only about you. Really, it isn't. Regarding the removal of old kernels, I've seen this feature requested over time repeatedly by different users and, looking at the bug report, I'd say it's just a matter of (short) time until it's done. What's the point in fighting it?

You remind me of one of my ex-co-workers, he had an interesting reflex: whatever someone else was saying, he was immediately arguing against it. After a couple of minutes, given that he had some time to think about it, he was changing his mind.
omnio

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 14th, '22, 00:19

omnio wrote:You seem to have this strange habit of going against what other people need just because you don't need it.

That's why I provide support for others ... sure, whatever you say :roll:
----
doktor5000

Postby nigelc » Feb 28th, '22, 08:43

Hi,
Has this been fixed yet?

The last time I used one of the scripts The whole system was corrupted .,

. Cheers Nigel.
nigelc

Postby sturmvogel » Feb 28th, '22, 11:02

If your system would have been corrupted because of one of the scripts, you should have reported it in the bugreport. But this sounds like a user problem.
sturmvogel

Return to Advanced support