[SOLVED] mageia-prime broke SDDM login

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED] mageia-prime broke SDDM login

Postby MagicD3VIL » Oct 4th, '21, 13:09

Greetings everyone,
I've used the "mageia-prime-install" today on my ThinkPad Edge E431 because I needed to use the more powerful GeForce GT 720m graphics card instead of the integrated HD graphics.

The installation seem to run fine, except that the installer reported not being able to find a bootloader (only as warning tho, so it continued). I am booting in UEFI and the efi partition is mounted on /boot/efi/ as usual.

I've restarted as instructed but now when I try to login on the SDDM login screen it just gets stuck after entering the password and KDE or any other DE does not load. So I've been forced to use the terminal for now until this is resolved (I am posting this using the Lynx browser on tty2).

The error during install is "Regenerating kernel initrd images...Cannot find a boot loader installed
Failed!"

The error shown by "systemctl status display-manager" on login is:
gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Auth: sddm-helper exited with 1

Oke this is a last line the Lynx will let me input so any help on this will be much appreciated! Also uninstalling does not help since there's the same boot loader error :-D
Last edited by MagicD3VIL on Oct 4th, '21, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.
MagicD3VIL

Re: mageia-prime fails to find (UEFI) bootloader

Postby MagicD3VIL » Oct 4th, '21, 18:34

So it seems that the UEFI does not have anything to do with the issue why I am not able to log into the KDE. I've tried booting to Legacy BIOS mode and I just can't log in. It seems that SDDM just crashes and I can't find out why and how did install of mageia-prime managed to do that...

I've tried running "mageia-prime-uninstall" and rebooting, which didn't help. I've also tried uninstalling nvidia drivers using "dnf remove nvidia*", no joy. The quite bemusing situation that is, one wants to upgrade performance and breaks everything :?

According to "inxi -G" the Intel graphics is using driver i915 and Xorg is using "intel,v4l". I don't really know how to fix this, I get to the login screen, and after I enter the password correctly the sddm-helper crashes (apparently), and the login screen freezes. I can only switch to another tty or restart the display manager. :/

EDIT:
I think I found something valuable in the logs:
Code: Select all
PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib64/security/pam_fprintd.so

and right after starting the /usr/bin/startplasma-x11 there is this:
Code: Select all
pam_unix(sddm:session): session closed for magicd3vil

I hope this helps somehow

EDIT2: I am able to log in to Plasma as root via sddm without sddm crashing, so there must be something wrong with my user profile. No idea what so I'm looking for clues.
MagicD3VIL

Re: mageia-prime broke SDDM login

Postby MagicD3VIL » Oct 4th, '21, 20:13

Well, at last, I managed to fix it before I will need that notebook tomorrow for a presentation :D Basically what I did was this https://forum.manjaro.org/t/sddm-freeze ... in/41036/9

I logged in as root and deleted "/home/magicd3vil/.Xauthority", logged in via tty as magicd3vil, logged out, and then logged in via sddm without a hassle. I will try to run the mageia-prime-install again and if the magic cookie breaks again, at least I will know how to fix it.

I will mark this thread as solved and leave it as is, maybe one single person might find this helpful in the next 10 years :D
MagicD3VIL

Re: [SOLVED] mageia-prime broke SDDM login

Postby benmc » Oct 4th, '21, 21:20

MagicD3VIL wrote:maybe one single person might find this helpful in the next 10 years

you are not the only one with this issue, see qa-discuss mailinglist 21/09 several threads with the same resolution.

you are welcome to subscribe.
benmc

Postby morgano » Oct 5th, '21, 01:28

Maybe someone can add some wisdom to https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia-prime_for_Optimus ?
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 5th, '21, 10:05

That's not something specific to mageia-prime, it happens when using the test mode in drakx11.

There's still an open bug about this (others were closed as WORKSFORME):
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20835
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Advanced support