uefi boot only in bios ?

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

uefi boot only in bios ?

Postby scanray » Aug 5th, '21, 20:19

Hi,

Since I use uefi with Mageia, the uefi boot option is registered in the bios. In the case of disconnecting the disk from the PC, this record is lost and I must use an installer or live DVD to fix it.
Is there a way to save the information on the disk so that the pc bios detects it automatically ?
It's frustrating having to fix this every so often.

Thanks a lot
scanray

Re: uefi boot only in bios ?

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 5th, '21, 20:37

Hi there, not sure which record you're referring to.
Your UEFI contains pointers to the boot devices containing a UEFI bootloader binary. That bootloader binary is located below /boot/efi on disk, so it's already stored there.
You can show the UEFI pointers with efibootmgr, have a look at e.g. at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/EFISTUB#efibootmgr

Why do you disconnect the disk in the first place regularly ? You may need to take a look at your UEFI settings on how to workaround that.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby scanray » Aug 5th, '21, 23:02

Hi @doktor5000,

Hi there, not sure which record you're referring to.

When Mageia is installed, the bootloader generate an entry in the bios for the UEFI.
This will be lost if you disconnect the disk.
Your UEFI contains pointers to the boot devices containing a UEFI bootloader binary. That bootloader binary is located below /boot/efi on disk, so it's already stored there.
You can show the UEFI pointers with efibootmgr, have a look at e.g. at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/EFISTUB#efibootmgr

Yes, I have read it, but that is to generate an entry point in the grub menu, right?
I am talking about the entry in the bios to select it as the first boot disk.
Sorry if I explained wrong.
Why do you disconnect the disk in the first place regularly ?

Well, the PC is in a place where there is a lot of dust (it is inevitable) and I clean it every 3 or 4 months, taking everything apart.
There my problem begins.
You may need to take a look at your UEFI settings on how to workaround that.

On the PC I have 3HDs, osx, win$ and mageia. Each of them was installed separately.
The only one that is not recognized in the bios when I reconnect everything is that of mageia

thanks for your help
scanray

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 5th, '21, 23:27

scanray wrote:Yes, I have read it, but that is to generate an entry point in the grub menu, right?

No, as I wrote that is to generate an entry in your UEFI boot device selection. grub only comes after that UEFI placeholder has been loaded.

scanray wrote:On the PC I have 3HDs, osx, win$ and mageia. Each of them was installed separately.
The only one that is not recognized in the bios when I reconnect everything is that of mageia

If you reconnect the disk, then that's the same status as before you disconnected it, nothing changed. Sounds like you're missing something in your description of the issue.

It would help if you could post the output as root of
Code: Select all
efibootmgr -v

when your Mageia installation booted normally or from another installed linux, and then the same output from another installed linux when Mageia does not boot.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby scanray » Aug 6th, '21, 00:40

yes, you are right, the other thing I do before connecting the disk with mageia is to boot only with the win HD to activate the thunderbolt, then I connect the HD with osx and test it. At the end I connect the one for mageia.
I thought it was win that deleted the UEFI entries; but it's not like that. I turned on the PC without connecting the HDs and the UEFI menu was empty. Then I put the HDs and the only one that did not appear in the menu was mageia.
I get the impression that the UEFI bios scan does not detect the /EFI/mageia/grubx64.efi automatically.
This access point is recorded in the bios with the mageia installer, right?

well booting from CLOVER
efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0001
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0001,0005,0000,0002,0003,0004
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager  HD(1,GPT,8af551ab-a74f-4b3b-a4e7-b98f0266578f,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}...d................
Boot0001* UEFI OS       HD(1,GPT,3b5ff23e-04b4-4aaf-80b1-bebaf25adbd9,0x28,0x64000)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)..BO
Boot0002* UEFI:CD/DVD Drive     BBS(129,,0x0)
Boot0003* UEFI:Removable Device BBS(130,,0x0)
Boot0004* UEFI:Network Device   BBS(131,,0x0)
Boot0005* UEFI OS       HD(1,GPT,924f7855-0ff2-4d20-baa0-0ada0650b843,0x800,0x95801)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)..BO

booting from installer mga 8
System:
     Firmware: n/a (n/a)
  Secure Boot: disabled
   Setup Mode: user
 Boot into FW: supported

Current Boot Loader:
      Product: n/a
     Features: ✗ Boot counting
               ✗ Menu timeout control
               ✗ One-shot menu timeout control