Gnome 40 lock screen not working

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Gnome 40 lock screen not working

Postby Fitz » Jul 31st, '21, 15:30

So from my research it looks like gnome 40 won't lock screen unless GDM is running and Mageia uses a different log in.

Is there a set workaround for this?
Fitz

Re: Gnome 40 lock screen not working

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 31st, '21, 18:07

Hi there, are you referring to gnome under cauldron, and what login manager do you actually use ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Fitz » Jul 31st, '21, 20:47

yes, gnome from Cauldron however this is an error that shows on other distros as well. If it isn't the default.

- I'm using the default Mageia login screen when you install KDE.. I'm not actually sure what it's called.
Fitz

Postby dalto » Jul 31st, '21, 21:58

Fitz wrote:- I'm using the default Mageia login screen when you install KDE.. I'm not actually sure what it's called.

sddm

I think the easiest solution is going to be to switch to gdm.
dalto

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 1st, '21, 13:43

FWIW there are several workarounds how you can make screen lock working, no matter what login manager you're using.
Have a look at https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... gdm/187917
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby dalto » Aug 1st, '21, 14:49

I just read through all those. I am not sure any of those really give you the full screen locking experience that gdm will.

It looks they all rely on manual or timed activation as opposed to being integrated into gnome. Meaning, if you activate the screen lock from within gnome itself none of those will activate. You need to use a keyboard shortcut, launch a program manually or wait for an inactivity timeout.
dalto

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 1st, '21, 21:26

Well, how do you expect the screenlock to get triggered in the first place, what's your actual use case ?
You may want to look again at e.g. https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/619855/83329 - you just need to replace it with whatever screenlocker/screensaver you want to use.
----
doktor5000

Return to Advanced support