[SOLVED] Problem after laborious update from M7 to M8

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED] Problem after laborious update from M7 to M8

Postby tonin » Jul 31st, '21, 09:29

Hello,
I have tried to update mageia 7, but ran into problems.

The method used to begin update was Upgrading online, using mgaonline (GUI) https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_8_Rel ... _.28GUI.29
Code: Select all
su -c 'mgaapplet-upgrade-helper --new_distro_version=8'

Unfortunately, the lock screen trapped me twice. The first time, I managed to recover control thanks command:
loginctl unlock-session c5

So after a few minutes, without a GUI, I switched to a virtual terminal tty to check what's going on. As the repositories were bound to mageia 8, I ran the
urpmi --auto-update
command. Which has installed a large number of packages, but at the end of the list a lack of space interrupted the process.
A restart showed a screen initiation where the keyboard was not responding. In the center of the screen, three gray question marks were successively changing to white. After a while, I rebooted for a rescue mode. The latter is more verbose. Shortly, it is possible to read:
udevadm: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/systemd/libsystemd-shared-246.so: undefined symbol: crypt_activate_by_signed_key, version CRYPTSETUP_2.0
/init: line 96: [: -gt: unary operator expected
/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/systemd/libsystemd_shared_246.so: undefined symbol: crypt_activate_by_signed_key, version  CRYPTSETUP_2.0
/init: line 157: [: _lt: unary operator expected
udevadm: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/system_/l1bsystemd-shared-246.so: undefined symbol: crypt_activate_by_signed_key, version CRYPTSETUP_2.0
/lib/dracut-lib.sh: line 541: [: -ge: unary operator expected
udevadm: symbol lookup error: /usc/lib/systemd/libsystemd-libsystemd_shared_246.so: undefined symbol: crypt_activate_by_signed_key, version CRYPTSETUP_2.0

Then the display goes looping, and fills the screen with:
/lib/dracut-lib.sh: line 531: [: -ge: unary operator expected
udevadm: symbol lookup error: /usc/lib/systemd/libsystemd-libsystemd_shared_246.so: undefined symbol: crypt_activate_by_signed_key, version CRYPTSETUP_2.0

I then went for a chroot, from a freshly installed mageia 8 on an spare partition.
urpmi --auto-update
I ran more updates, without getting a clean reboot. The first command is invoked again, and ends correctly.
su -c 'mgaapplet-upgrade-helper --new_distro_version = 8'
Unfortunately, the reboot does not get better.

Then came the time to update from a USB key dedicated to netinstall. The process completed successfully, but boot still shows the same errors.

What can I do now?
Attempting to temporarily uninstall systemd?

to be continued...
Last edited by tonin on Aug 1st, '21, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
tonin

Re: Problem after laborious update from M7 to M8

Postby sturmvogel » Jul 31st, '21, 16:57

You could have mentioned that you crossposted this on the french forum and got many help there also...
https://www.mageialinux-online.org/forum/topic-29195+m7-vers-m8-erreurs-udevadm-cryptsetup_2-0.php
sturmvogel

Postby tonin » Jul 31st, '21, 18:08

Yes, thank you very much sturmvogel.
tonin

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 31st, '21, 18:16

Yes, and seems it's already fixed.

Please don't forget to mark the thread as solved, by editing the subject of the first post and prefix it with [SOLVED], thanks in advance.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby tonin » Jul 31st, '21, 19:58

Be sure I won't forget to mark it as solved if I get in, or say if I ended in making a clean install.

What we have done on french forum until now is more like cleaning useless mga7 packages which were not updating in my "trying to rescue" process. We have spotlighted differencies between packaged files, and installed again some ones `urpmi --replacepkgs pkgsNamesList`. The pakages update looks finished.
But, the problem is still the same, and I do not see obvious link between crypt_activate_by_signed_key symbol and the remaining ideas to dig in.

My non bootable system is now mageia 8, hence I do not see how to run Mageia_7to8_update process again from net-install USB key.

PS : In french we say something like : "The best jokes are the shortest". What about : "The best puzzles are the ones with the most elegant solutions" ?
tonin

Postby tonin » Aug 1st, '21, 07:57

This is now fixed.

The problem was a broken init.
So the quick way maybe to chroot from another mageia8, and run dracut.
It may be useful to finish updates first.

After chroot in broken system :
cd /boot
dracut -f initrd-5.10.52-desktop-1.mga8.img 5.10.52-desktop-1.mga8

Investigations about this problem are available in the french forum https://www.mageialinux-online.org/foru ... up_2-0.php
tonin

Re: [SOLVED] Problem after laborious update from M7 to M8

Postby morgano » Aug 2nd, '21, 01:47

Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Return to Advanced support