[SOLVED] Limit Rate of Software Downloads in MCC

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED] Limit Rate of Software Downloads in MCC

Postby cyclemycle » Jun 19th, '21, 10:21

I still haven't installed Mageia-7.1-Live-Xfce-x86_64, I have been checking it out first and finding my way around. So far I like it, I just need some help with a little problem.

I live in a country where Internet is a Luxury (and unreliable) and bandwidth comes at a premium.

I need to figure out how to limit the rate of download in MCC Software Manager -- Like in Debian edit a conf file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/75downloadspeed which will work with Synaptic and apt-get . . .

I think I have found a way to do it with urpmi in a terminal but I haven't tried it out because I need it to work in MCC. But that tells me that there may be a conf file somewhere I can edit.

Is there a specific file for this?

Thank you in advance for any help given.

P.S. I cannot use Mageia 8.
Last edited by cyclemycle on Jun 21st, '21, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with any pizza delivery service, nor am I having nightmares of being chased by giant goldfish.
cyclemycle

Re: Limit Rate of Software Downloads in MCC

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 19th, '21, 11:05

That would be the following option for urpmi

man urpmi wrote: --limit-rate rate
Try to limit the download speed. rate is given in bytes/sec. This option is not active by default.

You probably want to add that to /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg (which also has a separate man page).
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby cyclemycle » Jun 19th, '21, 11:20

Thank you, I'll boot it back up and check into it. I could have sworn i look at that . . ..

I'm willing to call this Solved
Last edited by isadora on Jun 19th, '21, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoting the former message is not appropriate
Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with any pizza delivery service, nor am I having nightmares of being chased by giant goldfish.
cyclemycle

Postby morgano » Jun 20th, '21, 11:01

If you have more than one install of Mageia, you can benefit from installing a proxy that caches already downloaded packages, see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Urpmi-proxy
I found it very useful when i had long copper lines.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby cyclemycle » Jun 20th, '21, 12:15

Well, that's not possible for me. All I have is a museum piece laptop that barely runs any more.

But I think I have my answer by putting in /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg:

Example 75k/sec (with capital "K")
Code: Select all
{
    limit-rate:75K
}

Verified as per: https://metacpan.org/dist/urpmi/view/po ... mi.cfg.pod

limit-rate

Same as --limit-rate for all tools. This option allows to control download speed; there is no limitation by default. The number is given in bytes per second, unless a suffix K or M is added.

Thank you for your suggestion.
cyclemycle

Return to Advanced support