TLP in Mageia 8

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

TLP in Mageia 8

Postby adhefe » Apr 26th, '21, 17:16

Hi,

Since this does not have to do specifically to networking, video, etc, I decided to post here.
Also, since last post about TLP is as old as three years I'm asking in a new one.

I'd like to know about TLP in Mageia 8. I've got surprised with the duration of a battery in Windows 10 when compared to what I have in Mageia 8 (about 5 times less). Thus I'm wondering what TLP can do about it.

Any comments?

Thanks in advance.
adhefe

Re: TLP in Mageia 8

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 26th, '21, 17:54

Well TLP as well as powertop can improve the runtime on battery quite a bit, sometimes by quite a large margin.

Did you test it at all yet? Nobody can really predict what impact it will have on your box with your usage pattern, so not really sure what you expect from this thread ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby adhefe » Apr 26th, '21, 21:03

doktor5000 wrote: so not really sure what you expect from this thread ?

I've not tested any of these options (TLP, powertop,...). This post is to listen from people that might have already tried them, could have preferences, advices, and so on.

Particularly, I'm a bit afraid of installing something that could not be fully removed if something goes wrong, among other undocumented features ...

Thanks a lot for the answer: now I knew abou powertop
adhefe

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 26th, '21, 23:28

Well, you should never be afraid of installing a package from the repos.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Apr 26th, '21, 23:54

TLP doc: https://linrunner.de/tlp/

Also, if your laptop have dual GPU, make sure it is using the low power one if you need long battery operation.
Or make it switch back and forth using https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia-prime_for_Optimus
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby adhefe » Apr 27th, '21, 03:53

morgano wrote:Or make it switch back and forth using https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia-prime_for_Optimus

doktor5000 wrote:Well, you should never be afraid of installing a package from the repos.

Well, I have installed mageia-prime to have my hybrid notebook using my GPU. Everything goes fine but mageia-prime-uninstall somehow results in a warning during boot about conflicting modules in kernel that ends with "X server may not work". It usually works anyway but this is the kind of software that cannot be fully removed and is available in official repos.

I've filed a bug about this undocumented feature in mageia-prime a long time ago.
adhefe

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 27th, '21, 17:25

mageia-prime uninstall is only intended to remove the prime configuration, it does not remove the package at all. But the package can easily be fully removed .
Also in your bugreport https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28525 there are already some more explanations and documentation for mageia-prime, so I don't really get the issue ?
Anyways, this is offtopic here.
----
doktor5000

Return to Advanced support