Page 1 of 1

Google stopped authenticating kde apps

PostPosted: Nov 13th, '20, 16:10
by rolf
20201113_054112.png
20201113_054112.png (324.57 KiB) Viewed 255 times


Just this morning, the calendar applet at lower right started coming up empty for my synced google calendar. Also, Thunderbird no longer shows my calendar events. Eventually, I went to systemsettings5>Online Accounts. I removed the google account and re-added. Web authentication provided me a key and I logged into my Google account. Initially, the authentication window did not respond. An animated progress bar, seen at the bottom of the window as alternating blue and white, was active. This happened for several tries. Finally, my attempts are resulting in the shown message that google has withdrawn trust for this app. I see similar reports in google search from as recent as earlier this year, such as:
https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/e ... sable_for/
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415089

My MGA7 64-bit system is fully updated, including kaccounts-providers-19.04.0-1.mga7, which seems implicated in that one kde bug.
FWIW, Allow less secure apps: ON in my google account.
Thanks for thoughts.

Re: Google stopped authenticating kde apps

PostPosted: Nov 13th, '20, 17:54
by doktor5000
Those reports that you linked to are a bit older, I think the current one is https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=420280
Although for the recent commits (that should show the actual error in the UI, so you have a chance to see the actual reason to report it) you might need to rebuild kaccounts-providers from latest git.

Re: Google stopped authenticating kde apps

PostPosted: Nov 14th, '20, 02:51
by rolf
doktor5000 wrote:Those reports that you linked to are a bit older, I think the current one is https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=420280
Although for the recent commits (that should show the actual error in the UI, so you have a chance to see the actual reason to report it) you might need to rebuild kaccounts-providers from latest git.


Well, I can sometimes build from source code if there's a README.? or INSTALL recipe. Cloning from here: https://github.com/KDE/kaccounts-providers gave me no such recipe but I rooted around to find a clue to run `ccmake ./` and that got the ball rolling. However, ECMConfig.cmake or related was reported missing. Then, urpmf gave me extra-cmake-modules-5.57.0-1.mga7.noarch.rpm That appears to be too old and I'm defeated...
Code: Select all
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:16 (find_package):
   Could not find a configuration file for package "ECM" that is compatible
   with requested version "5.70.0".

   The following configuration files were considered but not accepted:

     /usr/share/ECM/cmake/ECMConfig.cmake, version: 5.57.0


By the by, at the same time, MageiaUpdate was giving me a new Thunderbird. When I re-started that, my calendar data is displayed again. I don't know if this will persist or if there is a relation.

Re: Google stopped authenticating kde apps

PostPosted: Nov 14th, '20, 19:24
by rolf
One more close/open of Thunderbird and calendar data is empty, has not returned after several reboots and re-authorizations.
Another experiment was to retrieve
kaccounts-providers_19.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
kaccounts-providers_20.08.3-1_amd64.deb
and run `sudo alien -r -c` on each. The -20 version seemed to require a newer library than what is in MGA7. The -19 version installed and I am able to authenticate the google provider in systemsettings5. One useful tip from Comment 3 of the kde bug you linked:
Harrison 2020-05-22 10:04:22 UTC

Hello, I had the same problem with a fresh Kubuntu 20.04 install. I managed to get around it by right-clicking on the empty window and pressing refresh (sometimes it takes a couple of tries). I was then able to finish the process and add Google Drive to Dolphin.


Right-clicking and reloading that unresponsive window has allowed me to proceed with what is reported as successful authentication, when using kaccounts-providers-19.12.3-1 but google calendar data still fails to get loaded in the applet and Thunderbird.

Re: Google stopped authenticating kde apps

PostPosted: Nov 16th, '20, 02:45
by doktor5000
Well, if it's reproducible for you and if there's a workaround / fix you should probably report this as a bug: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly

Re: Google stopped authenticating kde apps

PostPosted: Nov 16th, '20, 03:15
by rolf
I can't workaround to a state where my schedule data displays in the Event Calendar applet; that has never come back. In Thunderbird, the events display on one boot and not another. So, in that sense, it's not reproducible. What little workaround I've gained is to right-click and refresh the stalled authentication window for google in systemsettings5 online accounts to get it to proceed with a sign-on. Even when that seems to successfully complete, there is no data in Event Calendar and Thunderbird data comes and goes with no apparent relation. From what I've read in the materials I cited, similar problems are due to a failure by KDE to keep up with the changing demands of Googles authentication specifications. Also, I read the user, devel, and bug mailing list postings and have not seen any other reports of this problem on Mageia.