Sound problem with BBC videos [Possibly Resolved]

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Sound problem with BBC videos [Possibly Resolved]

Postby rc10b » Jul 28th, '20, 22:02

I'm running Mageia 7.1 Plasma on a Toshiba laptop and since updating from Kernel 5.6.8 to 5.6.14 I have a problem with sound when playing videos on the BBC website. The sound is audible but it is corrupted, the only description I can give is that it sounds like voices used for an old TV children's programme called The Chipmunks. Suffice to say it's unintelligible.
When I boot with Kernel 5.6.8 there are no problems with the sound in these BBC videos.
All other sound sources play with no problems with either Kernel.

I am also running the Mageia 7.1 Plasma version on a Dell laptop, using Kernel 5.6.14 and there are no problems with the BBC videos. I'm using PulseAudio on both laptops.

So it seems there is a specific problem with my Toshiba laptop and Kernel 5.6.14

Is it likely that this issue is too specific to pursue in this forum ?
Should I report it as a bug in Bugzilla?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
Last edited by rc10b on Jul 28th, '20, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
rc10b

Re: Sound problem with BBC videos

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 28th, '20, 22:46

Might help if you could post a link to an example video, if it's publicly available. Also, what browser or player are you using to play the videos?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Sound problem with BBC videos [Possibly resolved]

Postby rc10b » Jul 28th, '20, 23:45

Well, I'm totally confused now. I went to the website to copy the link, and I thought I'd better check that it still had the issue and it didn't, it was working OK :o
I've been working on this all day and it was totally repeatable and I've got no idea why it's now working :oops: Maybe as you are a Doktor you have great healing powers by just reading about a problem ;)

For the record, I'm using the Chromium Browser on both laptops.
Here's a link for one of the videos: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/53548676
I did do some updates at some point today, ffmpeg was one package but I can't remember what others. Is there a way to see the the latest applied updates ?
I'll obviously keep monitoring the situation and post back if there are any more developments.

Thanks, Steve
rc10b

Re: Sound problem with BBC videos [Possibly Resolved]

Postby jiml8 » Jul 29th, '20, 06:54

I had the same problem about a week and a half ago, that came on its own and went on its own, and I don't know why. It came and went, without a reboot or a restart of plasma. No explanation.

For me, it affected chromium with videos hosted by facebook, and with video hosted by NBC News. Sounded like chipmunks. Was a problem for about a day, and went away by itself. Did not affect other sites, did not affect firefox.

Dunno.
jiml8

Postby rc10b » Jul 29th, '20, 07:25

jiml8 wrote:I had the same problem about a week and a half ago, that came on its own and went on its own, and I don't know why. It came and went, without a reboot or a restart of plasma. No explanation.

For me, it affected chromium with videos hosted by facebook, and with video hosted by NBC News. Sounded like chipmunks. Was a problem for about a day, and went away by itself. Did not affect other sites, did not affect firefox.

Dunno.

Thanks for posting that you have experienced the same problem, it's very frustrating when the problem appears to be due to intermittent software. If the problem happens again I will record it and attach a sound file to my post.

Steve
rc10b

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 29th, '20, 17:28

rc10b wrote:If the problem happens again I will record it and attach a sound file to my post.

That's not really helpful in reproducing the issue, it's more important to post the installed version of your browser,
a link to the video so others can try to reproduce it and to check what format the video is, if it needs any external video/audio codecs.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rc10b » Jul 29th, '20, 21:50

Browser Version: 81.0.4044.138 (Developer Build) Mageia.Org 7 (64-bit)
Link to a video that had the problem:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/53548676

If the problem manifests itself again I'll re-affirm the information above.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jul 29th, '20, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
rc10b

Return to Advanced support