Anyone know kid3?

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Anyone know kid3?

Postby arromdee » Jun 16th, '20, 04:11

I would like to find all .mp3 files with no album and set the album to "(unknown album)".

I have tried this:

kid3-cli -c "filter '%{album} equals \"\" and %f contains mp3'" -c "set album '(unknown album)'"

This sort of works but has some problems:
  • Although it filters out the non-mp3 files, it seems not to do short circuit evaluation. For instance, I have a zero length (bad) .mp4 file. When it reaches this file it gives me a ReadChildAtoms error. Apparently it tries to check the album (failing to do so on the zero length file) before it checks to see if the name contains .mp3 (and changing the order doesn't work either).
  • It doesn't limit itself to the current directory.
How can I fix these problems?
arromdee

Re: Anyone know kid3?

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 16th, '20, 18:04

How do you pass the filenames or the directory to kid3-cli in your example ?

I'd suggest to run find beforehand to remove empty files or move them away, as that's not really a task for kid3-cli.
But you should probably create a bugreport against kid3-cli for your issue with the empty file.

In general I'd say that's more of a question for kid3, see e.g. https://sourceforge.net/p/kid3/discussion/ or https://forum.kde.org
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby arromdee » Jun 16th, '20, 23:32

I'm not passing any filenames in. I want this to operate on all .mp3 files in the current directory.

In fact, I originally tried a version that is inside a for loop and passed a filename in, but I couldn't figure out the correct syntax to pass in a single filename and still filter on it (since I need to filter it out if it doesn't have a blank album).

Also, trying to post on Sourceforge gives me "You do not have permission to post in any forums."

I'll try forum.kde.org.
arromdee

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 16th, '20, 23:51

From the examples in the man page or the handbook, you would at least need to pass the starting directory to kid3-cli.
And you can filter based on the filename, but I'm not sure how to exclude subdirectories that way.

FWIW, apparently you can also ask here: https://kid3.kde.org/#support
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Advanced support