key-freezing ('enter' frozen) when booting Mageia live

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

key-freezing ('enter' frozen) when booting Mageia live

Postby JY » May 9th, '20, 12:54

Hello!
I wonder how to boot in a 32bit UEFI/ 64bit processor intel baytrail...
These hybrid tablets are quite tricky... A quick internet search will show you how many people struggle with this achitecture...
So far i could see only Fedora, Mxlinux and Archlinux boot correctly...
How to use a 64bit Mageia version and pass the 32UEFI sitting on the hybrid tablet...

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by JY on Jun 28th, '20, 16:23, edited 2 times in total.
JY

Re: booting in a 32bit UEFI/ 64bit processor intelbaytrail..

Postby JY » May 9th, '20, 18:43

hei! i wanted to edit my first title post but couldnt find a way...
Well i got confirmed from Mageia team that actually it is supported with live and full isos of mageia 7 (just not the netinstall i tested first)!
So thats really cool!
In my case still i booted now the live iso but.... i boots then freezes at the language question...
i just get a frozen language box... its nice i can learn all supported languages:).
But nothing further😐
JY

Postby benmc » May 9th, '20, 23:22

I have installed both the 32bit Live Xfce and 32bit classical install systems via USB onto a dual boot with windows Linx-7 tablet.
The Live takes an age to install, and the fully charged battery went flat before the install completed.
the Classical is much faster, so recommend using the Classical install.

my best suggestion would be to use a USB multiport with external mouse and keyboard.
note that I had issues with a Microsoft Keyboard (keys would repeat ad-infinitum) and mouse (pointer would jump erratically), using a Logitech keyboard and mouse worked much better.
good luck
benmc

Postby martinw » May 15th, '20, 23:43

Is it completely frozen, or can you get to a tty login prompt using Ctrl-Alt-F2?

If you can, log in as root and see if there is anything in the system log to indicate what's causing the freeze.

If not, if you edit the boot command line in the boot menu and append "3" (without the quotes), does it boot to a working tty login prompt? If so, assuming you are using the Live ISO on a USB stick, make it persistent (as described here), boot normally, then, when it freezes, reboot in text mode (as described above) and look at the system log for the last boot ('journalctl -b -1').

Also check the Live USB stick works in another machine, just in case it's a bad copy.
martinw

Postby benmc » May 16th, '20, 05:34

what brand / model is your machine?

as earlier mentioned, i have installed Mageia, the Lives and Classical installer images onto a Linx 7 tablet.
This last week I have installed the 32bit Classic and Gnome and KDE/Plasma5 Lives into a Asus T100TA-DK003H tablet.
only issue of note was the Classical install I was unable to get the wifi to work, but works fine in the Lives and installed from Live systems.
benmc

Postby JY » May 16th, '20, 08:26

Hi!
Well the model is very uncommon, its like an ARCHOS 133...
And the F2 caracter is not working on my hardware, just to make things more complicated:)
BUT i will do my best to follow your instrictions !
Btw i m not using 32bits, but 64 bits as the processor i have (intelbaytrail) is 64 but as with most of these kind of hybrids the UEFI is 32bits....Still Mageia live is suppose to do the trick as the 64bit edition incluses a 32bit UEFI bootloader...
JY

Postby martinw » May 16th, '20, 12:12

Any of Ctrl-Alt-F2 through to Ctrl-Alt-F6 can be used to get to a tty login prompt.
martinw

Postby benmc » May 17th, '20, 01:32

can you attach a photo of the language selection screen.

is it frozen, or is the "ok" button missing?
(I have just finished re-installing and updating the 64bit KDE/Plasma5 Live)
benmc

Postby JY » May 17th, '20, 18:42

Well it is frozen in a way that the screen shows only pick language option.
I can scroll down the list of languages but it doesnt accept when i stroke the "ok" key.... The mouse isnt recognized either...
Just possible to scroll up and down and learn all the list of languages (very instructive but not very usefull:))
JY

Postby xboxboy » May 18th, '20, 02:18

I'm late to the party, but I have an Asus X205TA, that martin helped me get mageia running on quite some time ago: I have the boot stuff on the internal memory (ie. windows still works too!) and the root filesystem is on the SD card. I don't use it a great deal these days, but it is functional. At first sound didn't work, but it does now, so some update fixed that. Only gripe is if I leave the machine alone for several hours, it does freeze: Completely, have to hard shutdown/reboot the poor thing. I do recall the Ubuntu boys (they have a huge thread on this machine) have issues with C-state (IIRC) on these Atom processors... Which is strange as they were sold as 'always on' processors for mobile phones/tablets/netbooks.

Does that machine have usb-OTG, maybe a usb keyboard might get you over the line?
xboxboy

Postby JY » May 25th, '20, 11:10

From what i understand from all answers i better use external keyboard and mouse.
i guess it may connected to kernel support of 5.1...
Well here all elextronic shops are still closed so i guess it will take me a while to test this solution...
Maybe mageia 8 will have also the solution with kernel 5.6...
Does any live cd exists to test Mageia Cauldron with kernel 5.6?
Greetings and thanks!!
JY

Postby xboxboy » May 26th, '20, 01:00

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I did see some rumblings on the Dev/QA mailing lists about starting to spin up cauldron iso's for testing to start building Mageia 8.

You can browse the mailing lists, here's the QA one https://ml.mageia.org/l/arc/qa-discuss/2020-05/ may want to check out the dev mailing list too.

Or join the QA team, you can then get the test iso's before they're even public: As long as you provide your feedback, which is usually just on a shared document page to note what you see that's strange. The QA team are a friendly bunch and always after more eyes and hands. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/QA_Team
xboxboy

Postby JY » Jun 25th, '20, 19:55

Okay!
So i finally could test with an external usb keyboard and mouse and.... It worked perfect!
Exellent, thanks a lot for all the good advises.
Well in theory it could be great that the live mageia could potentially check this freeze problem (areiving at the language section, keybord can scroll and down but not click enter....)
Greetings and thanks!
JY

Postby xboxboy » Jun 27th, '20, 03:54

Awesome, thanks for reporting back.

Can you do one last thing? Add [Solved] to the title of your original post?

Most appreciated.
xboxboy

Postby benmc » Jun 27th, '20, 23:03

great that you finally got to complete the install.
so it seems that the "enter" key for your keyboard was not matched in the Live keyboard drivers, so a missing driver.

can you now try a Mageai8 alpha - should be available at a mirror near you soon.
we need to check that the keyboard issue still exists.
if so, you will need to create a bug report against your hardware so it can get fixed.

include
Code: Select all
lscpidrake
in your report.
link back the bug report to here.

TIA

Ben
benmc

Re: [SOLVED]booting a 32bit UEFI 64bit processor intelbaytra

Postby JY » Jun 28th, '20, 11:53

Sure xboxboy!
Yes Ben i did test the Mageia8 alpha and this keyboard issue doesnt exist anymore! wonderfull!
So the new live cd regognises my 'enter' key.
So a driver can mismatch one key and delivering a half working keyboard with some keys working and some not?
wao...
thanks for the info!
JY

Re: [SOLVED]booting a 32bit UEFI 64bit processor intelbaytra

Postby JY » Jun 28th, '20, 16:18

Actually.
I got a bit of time to play with both the 7.1 and 8alpha live isos today.
So, after testing many boots here is what i can say:
Actually the boot live issue is exaclty the same on both.
So here is what happens:
The language box opens with choice of language (live cd boot).
Then if i immediately put any key (up, down, enter) it just 'locks' the 'enter' key of my keyboard and later i am not able to use the enter key (still being able to scroll upa dn down...).
So, what i need to do is wait. like 30 seconds not using keyboard.
Then, i need to use ONLY the 'enter' key, and that moves me in next step (the licence agreement).
If i use any other key (to scroll up or down to change language from american english to another), that locks again the 'enter' key, and i am unable to type 'enter' and move to licence step...
Its a bit strange.
Anyhow these issues made sense for me as my touchpad is not recognised by kernel and i dont have an external mouse.
Using and external mouse and clicking next, or having a recognized touchpad, makes out for this strange 'enter' freezing key...
JY

Return to Advanced support