[Closed] Installing a MBR System Backup to EUFI System.

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[Closed] Installing a MBR System Backup to EUFI System.

Postby Plisgyn » Apr 19th, '20, 14:51

I have a Backup of my old PC with Mageia 7 with Grub 2 and MBR and wish to install it on my EUFI system, is this possible? It fails saying I must have a ESP FAT 32 Partition mounted in /boot/efi, any help with installing my Backup on my EUFI ststem would be gratefully accepted.
Last edited by Plisgyn on Apr 20th, '20, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Plisgyn

Re: Installing a MBR System Backup to EUFI System.

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 19th, '20, 14:58

If you want to restore the MBR system backup, you need to boot in legacy mode. Have a look at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installing_o ... boot_media

But as you seem to be running installer to install a fresh system, why do you want to install a legacy system ? If you have filesystem backups,
simply do a fresh installation and afterwards selectively restore your files.

You may want to add some more details on what you want to restore in particular, and what your backup consists or, or what tool you used for the backup.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Plisgyn » Apr 19th, '20, 15:07

I have a Backup created with Paragon Backup & Recovery 17 and I have also restored this to a spare Disk. So basically the only way is to create a new installation and then restore individual files?
Plisgyn

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 19th, '20, 15:12

If you already restored this to a spare disk, then simply run the installer on top of that (basically an upgrade/repair installation, although we only use it for the bootloader)
and let it re-write the bootloader to that disk. But for that you would have to boot the installer in legacy mode, see the wiki link above for details on that.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Plisgyn » Apr 19th, '20, 16:54

Thanks I will try that, if it doesn't work I will do a new install and cope files over.
Plisgyn

Postby Plisgyn » Apr 20th, '20, 16:21

There is no Legacy Mode so have re-installed Mageia 7.1 and transfer files from old PC.
Plisgyn

Return to Advanced support