How can I Downgrade Mageia 7?

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

How can I Downgrade Mageia 7?

Postby zhyrohaad » Mar 23rd, '20, 01:50

hello.
i have been using mageia for years, and recently (about 4 months ago) allowed it to upgrade my mageia 5 install to 6, then to 7.
after the upgrade to 6, my websites and forums stopped working due to package upgrades and the flow of progress with software.
the problem i have is this: i dont have the time to upgrade my websites and forums to the upgraded software.
while my forums can be upgraded (although not easily), my websites will require manual changes.
this is an endevour i havent been able to do, and wont for the foreseeable future.

as my sites were designed for mageia 5, and worked mostly perfectly, i have been looking for ways to revert the upgrades back to mageia 5.
the catch is i dont want to wipe my system for a fresh install.
i have around 14 years of data with limited backup ability.

so, my question....how can i revert my mageia 7 back to mageia 5 witihout a complete hdd wipe?

thanks for your suggestions and ideas

allan
zhyrohaad

Re: How can I Downgrade Mageia 7?

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 23rd, '20, 17:13

zhyrohaad wrote:so, my question....how can i revert my mageia 7 back to mageia 5 witihout a complete hdd wipe?

You can restore your backup from before the upgrade.

And in general you're fine with running your forums/websites/databases with an OS that does not get security updates / bugfixes since over 2 years ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zhyrohaad » Mar 25th, '20, 03:02

doktor5000 wrote:
zhyrohaad wrote:so, my question....how can i revert my mageia 7 back to mageia 5 witihout a complete hdd wipe?

You can restore your backup from before the upgrade.

my backups werent configured properly, so i dont have any since 2016.

doktor5000 wrote:And in general you're fine with running your forums/websites/databases with an OS that does not get security updates / bugfixes since over 2 years ?

yes
zhyrohaad

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 26th, '20, 00:40

Then better take some backups now. Afterwards you can either try to make your websites and forums working with Mageia 7, maybe others can assist you with that, if you would provide some more details what's not working anymore in particular.
Or you could reinstall with Mageia 6 and then migrate your data back from the backup.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zhyrohaad » Mar 26th, '20, 03:43

thank you.
zhyrohaad

Return to Advanced support