[SOLVED] Kernel 5.5.6 - DKMS can not build Nvidia Drivers

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED] Kernel 5.5.6 - DKMS can not build Nvidia Drivers

Postby KnightMB » Mar 11th, '20, 22:35

As the subject says, this has been working fine through many kernel updates (5.5.4, 5.4.6, etc.) but the new 5.5.6 update seems to have broken it? The compile fails and it reverts to using the default Xorg driver: nouveau

You can still manually compile the driver with the downloaded driver files from Nvidia but it sure was nice to have the system do it automatically for you every update. :mrgreen:

Anyone else experiencing this issue or know a fix to make it work again?

My Video Card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Last edited by doktor5000 on Mar 14th, '20, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: marked as solved
KnightMB

Re: Kernel 5.5.6 - 64 bit - DKMS can not build Nvidia Driver

Postby KnightMB » Mar 13th, '20, 18:51

Well, more info on this. After many fresh install experiments, able to reproduce with multiple machines, I'll be sure to submit a bug report. Currently no user end solution that I've found other than just live with the nouveau driver for Nvidia cards until another driver version is released that DKMS can compile and install properly. :?

Problem lies with the 430.64 drivers for GeForce 635 and later cards. Currently, the older version 430.26 works fine but if you want to upgrade to Kernel 5.5.6 you have to take the 430.64 drivers with it since the xserver driver, utilities, etc. are all tied to it. Doing this, DKMS can't do a successful compile on Kernel 5.5.6 after a reboot and thus reverts back to nouveau to at least get you to a desktop instead of a blank screen. I did try to download the latest drivers from Nvidia and register those with DKMS to see if it would work, but that also fails with some GCC compiler errors unfortunately.
KnightMB

Postby martinw » Mar 13th, '20, 23:51

Should be fixed with the next kernel update, currently in QA: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26331
martinw

Postby KnightMB » Mar 14th, '20, 02:03

Cool, I marked my bug fixed and referenced the one you posted.
KnightMB

Return to Advanced support