Mounting disk partitions automatically without fstab

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Mounting disk partitions automatically without fstab

Postby msdobrescu » Feb 29th, '20, 14:38

Hello,

I need to have a network accessible computer with the ability of booting if some disk is removed.
I have took a case that has disk racks. It even supports hot pluggable/unplugabble disks, but it is not the case.
I need to take some disks away from it and, while booting from a non re-movable one, to be able to start the system.
So far, I have an internal drive where Mageia lays, and up to 4 disks to plug/unplug.
But, if the disks are registered to fstab and one is taken away (between shutdown/startups), the system simply refuses to start.
I find this absurd, as long as there is nothing related to the system. Even some softweare that might have needed them, should stop running, but not the entire OS.

So, is there some way to have them mounted if plugged or not mounted if not plugged and simply have them accessible over Samba when plugged in (from boot time and further)?

It would be enough if they are one partition per disk and mounted as /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1, etc...

Thank you in advance.
msdobrescu

Re: Mounting disk partitions automatically without fstab

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 29th, '20, 18:00

msdobrescu wrote:But, if the disks are registered to fstab and one is taken away (between shutdown/startups), the system simply refuses to start.

If you don't add nofail as an option, that is expected.

For the automount, you should probably look at systemd.mount and the corresponding fstab mount options: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fs ... th_systemd
You may also want to look at e.g. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ud ... s_in_rules and the links there.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Mounting disk partitions automatically without fstab

Postby msdobrescu » Feb 29th, '20, 20:30

Thank you, I'll start learning all these settings.
msdobrescu

Return to Advanced support