Impossible to build wine?

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Impossible to build wine?

Postby pkoneil1 » Jan 25th, '20, 00:24

I am trying to build the latest stable wine from WineHQ (wine 5.0). As I run ./configure I see that I need to install a bunch of 32-bit devel libs to get key functionality in wine for sound, opengl, d3d, etc, but when I try to install these libs all it get are a lot of conflicts with 64-bit devel libs. I thought this shouldn't happen in the current year. It shouldn't be something that happens for at least nearly a decade now. You should be able to install all the 32 bit AND 64 bit libs without any conflicts so you can develop code to your heart's desire. Because I have a bunch of core/basic 64 bit libs installed, I cannot install 32 bit devel libs? How is a developer supposed to function if they have to UNinstall a bunch of rando 64 bit libs so they can install a bunch of 32 bit libs to build something, then turn around and uninstall the 32 bit libs and reinstall the 64 bit libs so they can build/develop 64 bit apps? Mageia 7.1 is still stuck at wine 4.0 while the latest stable wine is 5.0 (and there were 4.x versions in between). Any hints or suggestions on how one is supposed to build wine on Mageia without having to strip out all the 64 bit devel libs? :(
pkoneil1

Re: Impossible to build wine?

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 26th, '20, 00:11

pkoneil1 wrote:You should be able to install all the 32 bit AND 64 bit libs without any conflicts so you can develop code to your heart's desire. Because I have a bunch of core/basic 64 bit libs installed, I cannot install 32 bit devel libs

You can easily install 32 and 64 bit versions of the actual library packages in parallel.
But you cannot install the -devel packages for both, because both 32 and 64 bit versions of the -devel subpackages contain headers and source code below /usr which results in file conflicts. You don't need to install both the -devel packages.

If you want to build wine from scratch, easiest way would be to install all build dependencies from the src.rpm as in:
Code: Select all
urpmi --buildrequires http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/mageia/distrib/cauldron/SRPMS/core/release/wine-5.0-2.mga8.src.rpm
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Impossible to build wine?

Postby morgano » Jan 27th, '20, 18:52

Welcome, pkoneil1 !
If you want to introduce yourself more, we have an introduction thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15
Maybe you have found our wiki https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Main_Page
If you have the energy and time to share, we are thankful for extra hands - see "Contributor's Corner" on that page

Like for wine, maybe you can help to hep both yourself and others?
We already have wine 5.0 in Cauldron (to be Mageia 8)
- maybe you can help backport it to Mageia 7?
As a starter try make it work for yourself, using the source package used for mga8.

Also if you can help test if our wine 4.0.3 works correctly. We seem to lack experienced wine users testing it; https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26093

Thank you
/Morgan
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Return to Advanced support