support for rocketraid from highpoint

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

support for rocketraid from highpoint

Postby wonder6908 » Dec 23rd, '19, 08:10

Hi,

I have been using a rocketraid card (rr64x) from highpoint. I've managed to make it work under mageia 6 so far. I tried to compile its driver in a mageia 7 installation, but cannot fix the errors. Does anyone know how to make it work under mageia 7? I will have to live with mageia 6 if I cannot resolve this issue. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
wonder6908

Re: support for rocketraid from highpoint

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 23rd, '19, 18:06

It might help if you would actually post what errors you get in particular.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Dec 23rd, '19, 21:37

Obviously the driver needs to be ported to the later kernel. Have you checked to see if anyone has done that yet?

If you are just upgrading, you will be getting a 5.1 kernel, but the current kernel used by Mageia is 5.4 and if you port the driver to 5.1 it will likely break on 5.4 (at least, this was my experience with vmware workstation networking...something talking to the PCI bus might not have the same problem). So check on that.

I would not think porting the driver would be difficult; someone has likely done it.
jiml8

Postby wonder6908 » Dec 28th, '19, 08:21

doktor5000 wrote:It might help if you would actually post what errors you get in particular.

Thanks. I am uploading the output of compilation on a mageia 7.1 system. It looks to me that some data type in the system files have changed in the latest kernels 5.x. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
rr_make.log
compilation log
(6.41 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
wonder6908

Postby wonder6908 » Dec 28th, '19, 08:32

jiml8 wrote:Obviously the driver needs to be ported to the later kernel. Have you checked to see if anyone has done that yet?

If you are just upgrading, you will be getting a 5.1 kernel, but the current kernel used by Mageia is 5.4 and if you port the driver to 5.1 it will likely break on 5.4 (at least, this was my experience with vmware workstation networking...something talking to the PCI bus might not have the same problem). So check on that.

I would not think porting the driver would be difficult; someone has likely done it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the first thing I did was to search for solutions online. According to what I learned online, the gentoo linux has some modified driver which supports this card, but only up to linux kernel 4.16. My system is running 4.14, and I did the modification to the codes some time ago. The manufacture does not have an update for kernel 4.x, not alone 5.x. The compilation error message indicates mismatch between data types, as follows.

error: ‘struct timer_list’ has no member named ‘data’
vbus_ext->timer.data = (unsigned long)vbus_ext;

I guess the data structure of system timer has changed in the latest kernel. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks.
wonder6908

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 28th, '19, 18:01

Seems you need a newer version of the driver and also some patches for newer kernels, take a look at e.g. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1001963 ... rt/1012841 or maybe https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... 44&page=10 or https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... 9-at-least)

Although you didn't mention the actual name/model of your rocketraid card?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wonder6908 » Dec 29th, '19, 03:59

doktor5000 wrote:Seems you need a newer version of the driver and also some patches for newer kernels, take a look at e.g. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1001963 ... rt/1012841 or maybe https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... 44&page=10 or https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... 9-at-least)

Although you didn't mention the actual name/model of your rocketraid card?

Hi doktor5000. Thanks for the links. My card model is rocketraid 644, and the corresponding driver is rr64x. The patches provided by yurac does compile successfully under kernel 4.14 of mageia 6.1. However, it does not work under the latest mageia 7.1, which is running kernel 5.3.x. According to what I learned, there's some changes to the kernel after 4.17 and even larger changes in kernel 5.x. So far I haven't seen any posts which makes the driver work under 5.x. Here's the error message from compilation using kernel 5.3:

Makefile:1411: *** insufficient number of arguments (1) to function 'addprefix'. Stop.
../../../inc/linux/Makefile.def:88: *** Cannot find kernel version. Check /lib/modules/5.3.11-server-1.mga7/build/include/linux/version.h.. Stop.

The first line of the error message was generated from "make kernelversion" in Makefile.def. I can modify it to make it go away, but it suggests major changes in the kernel. Simply making it go away may not be able to keep the driver working properly.

Line 1411 of Makefile of the kernel is

mrproper-dirs := $(addprefix _mrproper_)

It looks "_mrproper_" is not defined in the file.

I manually set the KERNEL_VER, MAJOR and MINOR variables to force the compilation run. The error message is attached. It looks the data type scsi_host has been modified, and member name legacy_hosts has been removed from the kernel include files. This is the major issue.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.
Attachments
make_mageia7.1.log
(102.39 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
wonder6908

Postby scanray » Jul 3rd, '20, 19:01

Hi,

Has anyone solved this problem?
I have the same error but with the 2920sgl card.
It worked very well up to MGA6, I decided to upgrade to MGA7.1 and I have this same problem. The driver works fine if I only read in the raid, but then it gives me a KP error.

thanks
scanray

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 3rd, '20, 21:14

Same as for OP, it would help if you would post the actual model. E.g. lspci -nn or lpscidrake -v output.

If it also uses the rr64x driver, then patches for that seem to be only available up to kernel 4.17 and it only seems to work up to kernel 4.19, if you want to use it on more recent kernels, you would have to port some of the SCSI subsystem changes yourself, as mentioned by jiml8.
----
doktor5000

Postby wonder6908 » Jul 4th, '20, 03:16

My rr64x driver has been working under mga6 but can't make it work for mga7.x
wonder6908

Postby scanray » Jul 4th, '20, 21:44

Hi,

lspci -nn
Code: Select all
01:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: HighPoint Technologies, Inc. Device [1103:2720] (rev c3)

lspcidrake -v
Code: Select all
rr272x_1x       : HighPoint Technologies, Inc.|Device 2720 [STORAGE_RAID] (vendor:1103 device:2720 subv:1103 subd:0000) (rev: c3)

The drivers worked until kernel version 4.9.35, but had the option to compile when changing the kernel. But from what I read, there is something in the 5.x.x kernel that makes them crash.
I have searched the web for a new version but I have not found it. But in one of the links in the previous post they say how to make the changes to make it work.
But .... that's something I don't know how to do. At some point I got an error and I couldn't find a way to correct it.

thanks
scanray

Return to Advanced support