fortran3 legacy?

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

fortran3 legacy?

Postby ihowarth » Nov 20th, '19, 17:59

More in hope than expectation....

I have a bunch of third-party libraries that were built with gcc libgfortran3, and which break since installing Mageia7 (libgfortran5). Some distros provide 'legacy' support for v3, but not Mageia; and on trying to install libgfortran3 from Mg6 alongside v5 from Mg7 just doesn't work (and i can't uninstall v5 because of numerous other dependencies). Any suggestions? (And please, not "migrate to python"! :) This is 100,000+ lines of legacy code, and i'm too near retirement to reinvent this particular wheel...)
Thx
ihowarth

Re: fortran3 legacy?

Postby adhefe » Nov 21st, '19, 01:15

I can't see much of what could be done if recompiling with standard option doesn't help:

Code: Select all
$ gfortran -std=f** code.f

where ** stands for the fortran version to be used
Last edited by isadora on Nov 21st, '19, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;)
adhefe

Postby jiml8 » Nov 26th, '19, 09:12

I don't suppose you have the source for the third party libraries? Recompiling them in the more modern fortran could very well solve your problem.
jiml8

Postby kajosim » Jan 29th, '20, 00:19

I suggest you install and use VirtualBox and create a VM with MGA6 and everything else needed (third-party libraries).
Then you can use your good old software for many years to come. Just copy and ADD the VM to VBox of future MGA's. I do the same.
It is quite easy - just remember in BIOS to ensure Virtual Technology is active. You may need to look around under some 'Advanced Setup'.
kajosim

Return to Advanced support