Mageia 6 Login problem

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Mageia 6 Login problem

Postby johnb35 » Feb 16th, '19, 14:37

Installed Mageia 6 with no problems. Rebooted and logged in numerous times also OK. Installed all updates in one go OK but when I rebooted I could not login although the login app was there and username typed in plus the password.
I noticed that in the top left Corner, the box that was titled Session did not have the word plasma as it did earlier. Is that the problem and if so how do I fix it, please ?.

Thanks in anticipation. John
Mageia/Linux is completely open so there is no need for windows or gates. :lol:
johnb35

Re: Mageia 6 Login problem

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 16th, '19, 18:19

johnb35 wrote:I noticed that in the top left Corner, the box that was titled Session did not have the word plasma as it did earlier.

Well, what does it show now, or what can you choose there?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby johnb35 » Feb 16th, '19, 18:23

Thanks.
It is empty showing nothing and attempts to type in the word plasma is impossible.
Cheers. John.
johnb35

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 16th, '19, 18:36

You should not type in something there, it should be a dropdown box where you should at least be able to select a basic fallback like IceWM.

Could you please switch to a tty via e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F2, then login as your regular user and check what is inside /usr/share/xsessions ?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby johnb35 » Feb 17th, '19, 03:16

Thanks again.
I couldn't type anything in the box and the little drop down arrow did nothing.
The xsessions folder was empty, it had nothing in it. Unless a solution can be found soon, it looks like I might have to do a complete reinstall. Darn Darn Darn , :-)

John.
johnb35

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 17th, '19, 16:09

Well, actually you would only need to reinstall the package that provides that file - but you would also need to find out the cause why it went missing in the first place, which might be a bit cumbersome if you don't have a normal graphical desktop.
A reinstall with keeping your /home folder might take less time and nerves ;)
----
doktor5000

Postby xboxboy » Feb 18th, '19, 01:05

Hey John! Good to see you still on the Mandrake/Mandriva/Magiea ride.

Can you login by adding '3' to the end of the kernel line in the boot menu? That'll only give you a CLI login, but it will be enough to see if any updates can sort it out or you might even be able to start x from there.
xboxboy

Postby jiml8 » Feb 18th, '19, 09:37

How about this.

When you get to what should be the login screen, which apparently is broken, hit a ctrl-alt-F2. This will take you to a console window. Actually any of F2 through F6 will work for this.

In the console window, log in as root and you can start sorting things out. Usually, in my experience, there is something messed up in the KDE configuration when you don't get the proper login screen.

As a hint, the default display manager is called sddm, and the command line "service sddm start|stop|restart|status" will do the indicated things.

I find it necessary from time to time to shut down the display manager, shut down, clean up, and restart all the vmware workstation things, then restart the display manager to keep my system under control, and this is how I do it.
jiml8

Re: Mageia 6 Login problem (SOLVED)

Postby johnb35 » Feb 23rd, '19, 17:31

Thanks good people. Sorry for the delay in responding.
Solved the problem by doing a complete reinstall and ensuring not to delete any item titled with "Plasma" in it.

Have rebooted many many times over these past days and haven't had any problems since.
I was in the habit of uninstalling any plasma item that seemed to be of no interest to me but one of them must be needed. Which one I do not know but am not going to waste any-more time trying to find out which one.

Cheers and thanks again for suggestions. John
johnb35

Postby isadora » Feb 23rd, '19, 18:08

Thanks John for getting back and inform about your experiences. :)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to Advanced support