[SOLVED] Application Install Damage to MGA6

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED] Application Install Damage to MGA6

Postby gailkoontz » Nov 10th, '18, 16:53

There are two programs so far that when added to the system cause that version of Mageia 6 to become unusable - smplayer and openshot. I mean that the process of adding them causes the problem, not running them.

The first indication of a problem is that System Settings is no longer available. The message is, "KDEinit could not launch /bin/systemsettings5." The second is that the system can only be shut down from the command line.

An attempt to reboot brings up the Mageia screen. There is a message I've never been able to read very well because it appears right at the top of the screen and disappears immediately: "[x?...] does not support boot process [? . . .]." Then a set of instructions comes up to inform me that there has been a problem starting my graphical display. If I follow the directions and enter "drakx11," the test shows everything OK. Getting out of that, there is the message "xauth: file/boot/.Xauthority does not exist" before I'm allowed to enter "systemctl default," which takes me back to the same set of instructions.

My computer is a Dell Precision Tower 3620. The internal graphics support is Intal HD Graphics 630, and the monitor is a Benq GL 2760. I have let the system set up the graphics, and that appeared to work just fine.

I have two versions of Mageia 6 on the computer - one is this system, meant to be my working system and the other is a nearly pristine system installed in the same manner. (I've given the second one access to a printer and chosen single click.) Each has been given mount points that allow access to the other. This arrangement gives me a second system that will function even if something bad happens to my normal one. That way I don't lose access to the Internet or the printer, and I can examine and perhaps repair the problem using all the facilities of the alternate system without resorting to the command line.

The pristine version is working just fine, and so was the one I'm trying to prepare for daily use until I tried to install one of the programs shown above. I haven't been able to find what needs to be fixed, and I've been poking around for a couple of days. I don't really need either of the programs that caused the problem, but I don't like the possibility of running into the same problem if I try to install some other program in the future unless I can find out what is wrong and how I can repair it without reinstalling.
Last edited by gailkoontz on Nov 13th, '18, 13:38, edited 2 times in total.
gailkoontz

Re: Application Install Damage to MGA6

Postby jkerr82508 » Nov 10th, '18, 20:21

I have the same system and graphics card. I don't have any of the problems that you describe. I assume that you have installed all available updates for your installation.

Which versions of those applications did you install? I have:
smplayer-18.1.0-1.mga6.x86_64
openshot-qt-2.4.0-1.1.mga6.noarch

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby gailkoontz » Nov 10th, '18, 20:58

Those are the same ones I installed. I allowed the system to be updated during the install but have not done any further update. I likely have a different monitor, but there seems to be nothing wrong with the graphics display, and both systems were working fine until I installed those programs. I see no obvious connection among the three things that go wrong after that, but I thought that someone very familiar with how the system, in particular KDE, is put together might. I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that I was using KDE.
gailkoontz

Postby gailkoontz » Nov 10th, '18, 21:50

I performed the - very long - update to the second (pretty much untouched) system, after which it could not be booted with the same symptoms as before. I had forgotten to set no screen lock, and during the update I got a screen advising me that the screen locker was broken and that I needed to switch to a virtual terminal, perform the unlock there and switch back to the running session. After doing that I did set no screen lock. I was advised to reboot after the update, and when I did that I couldn't with the same symptoms as before. There is apparently something about certain installs/updates that is making it impossible to bring up the KDE desktop afterward or to use certain things before the reboot.
gailkoontz

Postby gailkoontz » Nov 10th, '18, 23:59

It seemed that the problem had to be connected to the monitor and not the Intel graphics, so this time when I installed instead of letting the system do the monitor setup I chose "custom" and set the refresh rates and number of colors. The major update couldn't be done during installation. The reason given was that the Udisks daemon wasn't running or wasn't ready, but when I booted the system for the first time I did the update, which had made the system unusable before. Afterward I could still get to system settings and had the ability to shut down, so I added one of the programs that had caused the problem before. That worked also, and the system reboots properly. I'm not really comfortable with this, but I guess I can live with it. I simply don't understand why the system would work fine and only mess up after certain application installs or updates. I think I should somehow mark this as solved, but I don't know how.
gailkoontz

Return to Advanced support