[RESOLVED] ProtonMail anyone?

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[RESOLVED] ProtonMail anyone?

Postby griffin » Nov 2nd, '18, 23:58

ProtonMail is a secure email service based in Switzerland at https://protonmail.com. It has a webmail user interface plus Android and IOS apps. It also has a ProtonMail Bridge software package to help connect users' email clients with its IMAP/SMTP servers. Has anyone managed to successfully install the ProtonMail Bridge rpm package under Mageia to use with, say... the Mozilla Thunderbird email client? (You have to buy a paid account, but it costs only $5/month to trial.)

I tried to install the ProtonMail Bridge rpm package, but I encountered a few missing dependencies:
dejavu-sans-fonts is needed by protonmail-bridge-1.1.0-1.x86_64
qt5-qtbase is needed by protonmail-bridge-1.1.0-1.x86_64
qt5-qtmultimedia is needed by protonmail-bridge-1.1.0-1.x86_64
qt5-qtsvg is needed by protonmail-bridge-1.1.0-1.x86_64 .

I'll be interested in any suggestions about how I might be able to resolve these dependency errors.
Last edited by griffin on Nov 3rd, '18, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
griffin

Re: ProtonMail anyone?

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 3rd, '18, 16:04

Like with any other dependency errors - either you create placeholder packages yourself that satify those dependencies and require the actual Mageia package names,
or you force the installation without those dependencies and then you have to take care that those required packages are installed.

Code: Select all
urpmi --allow-nodeps protonmail-bridge-1.1.0-1.x86_64.rpm
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: ProtonMail anyone?

Postby griffin » Nov 3rd, '18, 19:52

I reasoned that those dependency errors must have been merely due to minor packaging differences between the developer's system (probably some flavor of Fedora) and Mageia, so I came the same conclusion. I'll mark this thread resolved.
griffin

Return to Advanced support