Adding Xen

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Adding Xen

Postby jiml8 » Sep 3rd, '18, 19:50

I need to spin up a copy of Xen to support some cloud-based kernel work I have to do for the AWS environment.

I see that Xen is available in the Mageia repos, but when I go to install the package Xen (basic tools for managing Xen VMs) I am told I need to install two different server kernels on my workstation.

Well, I don't think I want to switch to a server kernel on my workstation; I am not sure what the implications of that would be and I don't really feel like exploring to find out. So, can anyone tell me what modules Xen needs that are in the server kernel that are not in the desktop kernel? Maybe I can load them as modules, or maybe I can compile a custom desktop kernel.

Would it be sufficient to compile everything in /usr/src/kernel-4.14.65-1.mga6/drivers/xen then install these as modules? I can always install Xen using the nodeps option of urpmi if that would work.
jiml8

Re: Adding Xen

Postby jiml8 » Sep 3rd, '18, 23:13

As I look at this more...

I was wondering about the fact that xen is a hypervisor, but I was thinking I could start it in a workstation environment instead of on bare metal. This seems to not be true; it appears that xen will start if installed when the machine starts. I would assume this means that if I install it on my workstation, my environment won't start, just xen.

So I suppose I have to deploy a xen virtual machine, then run the system I am developing inside it. Or else I need to install xen on some other hardware.

I can do VM inside of VM. It worked OK when I was sorting this system out on Azure; I deployed hyperv inside a Windows 10 VM, then did VM inside of VM work using it. It was incredibly slow decrypting encrypted files, but other than that it worked OK.
jiml8

Return to Advanced support